Spectroscopic analysis of phytochemical compounds in Garcina kola leaf extract
Languages of publication
Garcina kola leaves were collected, washed, dried and powdered. The ethanol extracts were prepared by simple method of cold extraction, the extracts were characterized by the Phytochemical analysis, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) and Gas chromatography mass spectroscopy (GC-MS) to identify some fatty acids and heterocyclic compounds present in the leaves extract. The FTIR analysis shows the variation of the peaks which indicate there is synergy among the functional groups of the extract. The phytochemical analysis revealed the presence of alkaloids, flavonoids, phenol, saponins, tannins and steroids, the study reveal the chemical constituents of Garcina kola leaf that these constituents may be behind their medicinal values in phytomedicine.
-  Obidoa, O., Joshua, P.E., and Eze, Nkechi, J. (2010). Phytochemical analysis of Cocosnucifera L. Journal of Pharmacy Research 3 (2): 280-286
-  Prior, R. I., and Cao, G. (2000). Antioxidant phytochemicals in fruits and vegetables, diets and health implications. Hort. Sci. 35: 588-572
-  Okwu, D.E. (2005): Phytochemicals, vitamins and mineral contents of two Nigerian medicinal plants. Int. J. Mol. Adv. Sci. 1 (4): 375-381
-  Agu, R. C. and Ogu, E.O. (1995): A comparison of some chemical properties of Garcinia. Brewing value Bio Resource Technology 54: 1–4.
-  Hertog, M. G., Katan, A., Fesken, E. J. M. (1993): Dietary Antioxidant. Flavonoids and risk of coronary Heart Diease, Dezuplen Elderly study. Lancet, 342: 1007 -1011
-  Onwuka, G.I. (2005): Food analysis and instrumentation (Theory and Practice).1st edition. Naphtali prints, Surulere, Lagos. pp. 50-58.
-  Stray, F. (1988): The national guide to medicinal herbs and plants. Tiger Books International, London. pp. 12-46.
-  Salah, W., Miller, N.J., Pangauga, Tijburg, Bolwell, G.P., Rice, E., and Evans, C. (1995): Polyphenolicflavonls as scavengers of aqueous phase radicals as chain breaking antioxidant. Arch. Biochem. Biorh. 2: 339-346
-  Adeyemi, O.O.,Okpo, S.O., and Ogunti, O.O. (2002): Analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of the aqueous extract of leaves of Perseaamericana Mill (Lauraceae). Fitoterapia 73: 375-380
-  O. N., Ozolua, R.I., and Okpo, S.O. (2009): Effect of the aqueous seed extract of Perseaamericana Mill ( Lauraceae) on the blood pressure of Sprague Dawley rats. African J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 3(10): 485-490
-  Imafidon, K.E., and Amaechina, F.C. (2010): Effects of aqueous seed extract of Perseaamericana Mill (Avocado) on blood pressure and lipid profile in hypertensive rats. Adv. Biol. Res, 4 (2): 116-121
-  Ojewole, J.A., and Amabeoku, C.J. (2006): anticonvulsant effect of Perseaamericana Mill (Lauraceae) (Avocado) leaf aqueous extract in mice. Phytother Res. 20 (8): 696-700
-  Sodipo, O.A., and Akiniyi, J.A.(2000): Studies on certain characteristics of extracts from bark of Pansinystaliamacruceras (K. schum). Pierre Exbeille. Global J. Pure and Applied Science 6: 83-87.
-  Rice-Evans, C.A., Miller, N.J., and Paganga, G. (1995): The relative antioxidant activity of plant derived polyphenolic flavonoids. Free Rad Res. 2214 (4): 375-385
-  Okwu, D. E. and Okwu, M. E.(2004): Chemical composition of Spondiasmombia Linn plant parts. J. Sustain Agric. Environ. 6: 140-147.
Publication order reference