A Foucauldian Analysis on Discourse in Primary School Physical Education Classes in Singapore
Languages of publication
- Biddle, S.J., & Asare, M. (2011). Physical activity and mental health in children and adolescents: a review of reviews. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 45(11), 886-895. Doi: 10.1136/886 bjsports-2011-09018510.1136/886bjsports-2011-090185
- Camiré, M., & Trudel, P. (2010). High school athletes’ perspectives on character development through sport participation. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 15(2), 193-207. Doi: 10.1080/1740898090287761710.1080/17408980902877617
- Chow, J.Y., & Atencio, M. (2014). Complex and nonlinear pedagogy and the implications for physical education. Sport, Education and Society, 19(8), 1034-1054. Doi: 10.1080/13573322.2012.728528
- Chung, H.J. (2012). A Foucauldian analysis as to discourse on physical education classes from the eyes of elementary student teachers in the field of teaching practicum. Journal of Elementary Physical Education, 17(4), 27-39.
- Chung, H.J. (2013). Foucault’s archaeological discourse analysis on the innovative changes of the primary physical education structure in Singapore. Journal of Elementary Education, 87-106.
- Chung, H.J., & Lee, J.Y. (2009). Elementary school teachers’ value culture discourse on physical education and their exercise practice. Journal of Sport Sociology, 22(4), 167-191.
- Cruickshank, J. (2012). The role of qualitative interviews in discourse theory. Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis across Disciplines, 6(1), 38-52.
- DeBusk, M., & Hellison, D. (1989). Implementing a physical education self-responsibility model for delinquency-prone youth. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 8(2), 104-112.
- Foucault, M. (1972). The Archaeology of Knowledge and The Discourse on Language. New York, NY: Pantheon Books
- Gao, Z. (2008). Perceived competence and enjoyment in predicting students’ physical activity and cardiovascular fitness. Perceptual and Motor Skill, 107, 365-372.
- Gibbons, S.L., Ebbeck, V., & Weiss, M.R. (1995). Fair play for kids: effects on the moral development of children in physical education. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 66(3), 247-255. Doi: 10.1080/02701367.1995.1060883910.1080/02701367.1995.10608839
- Giebink, M.P., McKenzie, T.L. (1985). Teaching sportsmanship in physical education and recreation: an analysis of interventions and generalization effects. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 4(3), 167-177.
- Gould, D., Flett, R., & Lauer, L. (2012). The relationship between psychosocial developmental and the sports climate experienced by underserved youth. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 13(1), 80-87. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2011.07.00510.1016/j.psychsport.2011.07.005
- Hall, K., & Chambers, F.C. (2012). Discourse analysis and the beginner researcher. In K. Armour & D. Macdonald (Ed.), Research methods in physical education and youth sport (pp. 295-305). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Harvey, S., & Jarrett, K. (2014). A review of the game-centred approaches to teaching and coaching literature since 2006. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 19(3), 278-300. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17408989.2012.75400510.1080/17408989.2012.754005
- Heng, S.K. (2011). Speech by Mr Heng Swee Keat, Minister of Education, at the launch of Physical Education and Sports Teacher Academy (PESTA) and its Inaugural PE Conference. Retrieved from http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/speeches/2011/08/16/speech-bymr-heng-swee-keat-at-6.php
- Heng, S.K. (2012). Keynote Address by Mr Heng Swee Keat, Minister for Education, at the Ministry of Education Work Plan Seminar. Retrieved from: https://www.moe.gov.sg/news/speeches/keynote-address-by-mr-heng-swee-keat--minister-for-education--at-the-ministry-of-education-work-plan-seminar--on-wednesday--12-september-2012-at-920-am-at-ngeeann-polytechnic-convention-centre#sthash.sZfQKisv.dpuf
- Jansen, I. (2008). Discourse analysis and Foucault’s “Archaeology of knowledge”. International Journal of Caring Sciences, 1(3), 107–111.
- Koh, K.T., Camiré, M., Lim, S., & Soon, W.S. (2016). Implementation of a values training program in physical education and sport: a follow-up study. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 1-15.
- Koh, K.T., Ong, S.W., & Camiré, M. (2014). Implementation of a values training program in physical education and sport: perspectives from teachers, coaches, students, and athletes. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 1-18.
- Krizman, L. (1990). Michel Foucault: Politics, philosophy, and culture: Interviews and other writings 1977-1984. New York, NY, US: Routledge.
- Lee, K.H. (2003). History of Madness. Seoul, Korea: Nanam Publishing House.
- Lee, M.C.Y., Chow, J.Y., Komar, J., Tan, C.W.K., & Button, C. (2014). Non-linear pedagogy: An effective approach to cater for individual differences in learning sports skill. PLOS One, 9(8), e104744.
- LeMoine, B. (2006). National governance in Education: A foucaudian analysis of policy, power and practice. Canada: Unpublished dissertation, University of Alberta.
- Maykut, P., & Morehouse, R. (1994). Beginning qualitative research. A philosophic and practical guide. London: Falmer Press.
- McEvilly, N., Verheul, M., Atencio, M., & Jess, M. (2014). Physical education for health and wellbeing: a discourse analysis of Scottish physical education curricular documentation. Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 35(2), 278-293.
- McNeill, M., & Fry, J. M. (2010). Physical education and health in Singapore school. Asia-Pacific Journal of Health, Sport, and Physical Education, 1(1), 13-18. Doi: 10.1080/18377122.2010.973032110.1080/18377122.2010.9730321
- McNeill, M., Lim, B.S.C., Wang, C.K.J., Tan, W.K.C., & MacPhail, A. (2009). Moving towards quality physical education: Physical education provision in Singapore. European Physical Education Review, 15(2), 201-223. Doi: 10.1177/1356336X0934522410.1177/1356336X09345224
- Miller, A. (2014). Games centered approaches in teaching children & adolescents: Systematic review of associated student outcomes. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 34(1), 36-58. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/jtpe.2013-015510.1123/jtpe.2013-0155
- Miller, S., Bredemier, B.J.L., & Shields, D.L.L. (1997). Sociomoral education through physical education with at-risk children. Quest, 49(1), 114-129.
- Ministry of Education, Singapore. (2017a, April 13). Compulsory education. Retrieved from https://www.moe.gov.sg/education/education-system/compulsory-education
- Ministry of Education, Singapore. (2017b, April 04). Curriculum planning & development. Retrieved from https://www.moe.gov.sg/about/org-structure/cpdd
- Ministry of Education, Singapore. (2015, April 16). Desired outcome education. Retrieved from https://www.moe.gov.sg/education/education-system/desired-outcomes-of-education
- Ministry of Education, Singapore. (2006, October 12). Indoor sports hall for all schools to further promote holistic education. Retrieved from https://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2006/pr20061012.htm
- Ministry of Education, Singapore (2005). Physical education syllabus (primary, secondary, pre-university) 2006. Retrieved from https://www.moe.gov.sg/docs/default-source/document/education/syllabuses/aesthetics-health-and-moral-education/files/physical-education.pdf
- Mouratidou, K., Goutza, S., & Chatzopoulos, D. (2007). Physical education and moral development: an intervention programme to promote moral reasoning through physical education in high school students. European Physical Education Review, 13(1), 41-56.
- Ning, W., Gao, Z., & Lowewyk, K. (2012). Associations between socio-motivational factors physical education activity levels and physical activity behavior among youth. ICHPER-SD Journal of Research, 7(2), 3-10.
- Patton, M. (2002). Qualitative research and evaluation methods. Newbury Park: Sage.
- PAM Research Committee. (2016). Enhancing 21st Century Competencies in Physical Education, Art and Music. Singapore: Ministry of Education.
- PERI. (2009). Report of the Primary Education Review and Implementation Committee. Singapore: Ministry of Education.
- Ransom, J. (1997). Foucault’s discipline: The politics of subjectivity. Durham, NC, US: Duke University Press.
- Romance, J.T., Weiss, M.R. and Bockoven, J. (1986). A program to promote moral development through elementary school physical education. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 5(2), 126-136.
- Rossi, T., Tinning, R., McCuaig, L., Sirna, K., & Hunter, L. (2003). With the best of intentions: A critical discourse analysis of physical education curriculum materials. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 28(1), 75-89.
- Ryan, R.M., & Deci, E.L. (2000). Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being. American Psychologist, 55(1), 68-78. Doi: 10.1037110003-066X.55.1.68
- Ryan, R.M., Federick, C.M., Lepes, D., Rubio, N., & Sheldon, K. M. (1997). Intrinsic motivation and exercise adherence. International Journal of Sport Psychology, 28(4), 335-354.
- Sheridan, A. (1997). Michel Foucault: The will to truth. New York, NY, US: Routledge.
- Sim, S.K. (1990). Problem of épistémè in Michel Foucault: Focusing on Les mots et les choses. Seoul: Unpublished master’s thesis, Sungkyunkwan University.
- Sproule, J., Wang, C.K.J., Morgan, K., McNeill, M., & McMorris, T. (2007). Effects of motivational climate in Singapore physical education lessons on intrinsic motivation and physical activity intention. Personality and Individual Differences, 43, 1037-1049. Doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2007.02.01710.1016/j.paid.2007.02.017
- Teixeira, P.J., Carraca, E.V., Markland, D., Silva, M.N., & Ryan, R.M. (2012). Exercise, physical activity, and self-determination theory: a systematic review. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 9, 78. Doi: 10.1186/1479-5868-9-78.10.1186/1479-5868-9-78
- Thrope, S. (2003). Crisis discourse in physical education and the laugh of Michel Foucault. Sport, Education and Society, 8(2), 131-151.
- Wandzilak, T., Carrol, T. and Ansorge, C. J. (1988). Values development through physical activity: promoting sportsmanlike behaviors, perceptions, and moral reasoning. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 8(1), 13-22.
- Wang, C.K.J., Chatzisarantis, N.L.D., Spray, C.M., & Biddle, S.J.H. (2002). Achievement goal profiles in school physical education: Differences in self-determination, sport ability beliefs, and physical activity. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 72, 433-445.
- Wang, C.K.J., Liu Chatzisarantis, N.L.D., & Lim, B.S.C. (2010). Influence of perceived motivational climate on achievement goals in physical education: A structural equation mixture modeling analysis. Journal of Sport Exercise and Psychology, 32, 324-338.
- World Bank. (2017). Population density (people per sq. km of land area). Retrieved from http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.POP.DNST?year_high_desc=true
- Wright, J. (1997). The construction of gendered contexts in single sex and co-educational physical education lessons. Sport, Education and Society, 2(1), 55-72.
- Wright, J. (2000). Wright, J. (2000). Disciplining the body: Power, knowledge and subjectivity in a physical education lesson. In A. Lee & C. Poynton (Eds.), Culture and text: Discourse and methodology in social research and cultural studies (pp. 152-169). Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
Publication order reference