The genetic polymorphism in the STK11 does not affect gestational diabetes
Languages of publication
Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) is defined as carbohydrate intolerance of variable severity that develops during pregnancy. Recent studies indicate that GDM onset is rapid, and that women with GDM will develop other metabolic disorders such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease in their future. Serine/threonine kinase 11 (STK11) is engaged in the insulin signaling pathway and encoded protein is an important activator of adenosine monophosphate activated protein kinase. Based on the previously reported association between the STK11 gene and diabetes, we aimed to investigate whether the rs8111699 polymorphism in STK11 has any role in gestation diabetes in Saudi women. In this case-control study, we recruited pregnant Saudi women based on biochemical analysis of their blood samples. Genomic DNA was obtained from confirmed subjects (200 GDM cases and 300 non-GDM). PCR-RFLP analysis was performed to detect the C528G polymorphism in the STK11 gene. The anthropometric and clinical data were similar between the GDM and non-GDM subjects (p > 0.05), whereas the biochemical analysis was significantly different between the cases and controls (p < 0.05). The genotype and allele frequencies between of the STK11 gene were not statistically significant difference between the GDM and non-GDM groups (OR=0.82; 95% CI:=0.6-1.0; p=0.12). Our study suggests that the rs8111699 polymorphism has no role in the development of GDM in pregnant Saudi women.
- Al-Hakeem MM, Abotalib Z, Alharbi KK, Khan IA (2014) Relationship between the paraoxonase 1gene glutamine 192 to arginine polymorphism and gestational diabetes mellitus in Saudi women. Clin Biochem 47: 122-125.
- Al-Hakeem MM, Alharbi KK, Khan IA (2014) The C allele of the rs4929949 STK33 gene polymorphism is associated with gestational diabetes mellitus. J Pure Applied Microbiol 8: 3647-3652.
- Alharbi KK, Khan IA, Abotalib Z, Al-Hakeem MM (2014) Insulin receptor substrate-1 (IRS-1) Gly927Arg: correlation with gestational diabetes mellitus in Saudi women. Biomed Res Int 2014: 146495.
- Alharbi KK, Khan IA, Syed R (2014) Association of apolipoprotein E polymorphism with type 2 diabetes mellitus in a Saudi population. DNA Cell Biol 33: 637-641.
- Bassols J, Meqia A, Soriano-Rodriguez P, Diaz M, Prats-Puig A, Gifre M et al (2013) A common gene variant in STK11 is associated with metabolic risk marker and diabetes during gestation. Fertil Steril 100: 788-792.
- Collins FS, Brooks LD, Chakravarti A (1998) A DNA polymorphism discovery resource for research on human genetic variation. Genome Res 8: 1229-1231.
- Goldenberg N, Glueck CJ (2008) Is pharmacogenomics our future? Metformin, ovulation and polymorphism of the STK11 gene in polycystic ovary syndrome. Pharmacogenomics 9: 1163-1165.
- Kahn BB, Alquier T, Carling D, Hardie DG (2005) AMP-activated protein kinase: ancient energy gauge provides clues to modern understanding of metabolism. Cell Metab 1: 15-25. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2004.12.003.
- Keshavarz P, Inoue H, Nakamura N, Yoshikawa T, Tanahashi T, Itakura M (2008) Single nucleotide polymorphisms in genes encoding LKB1 (STK11), TORC2 (CRTC2) and AMPK alpha 2-subunit (PRKAA2) and risk of type 2 diabetes. Mol Genet Metab 93: 200-209.
- Khan IA, Kamineni V, Poornima S, Jahan P, Hasan Q, Rao P (2015) Tumor necrosis factor alpha promoter polymorphism studies in pregnant women. J Reprod Health Med 1: 18-22. doi.org/10.1016/j.jrhm.2015.01.001
- Khan IA, Movva S, Shaik NA, Chava S, Jahan P, Mukkavali KK, et al. (2014) Investigation of Calpain 10 (rs2975760) gene polymorphism in Asian Indians with gestational diabetes mellitus. Meta Gene 2: 299-306.
- Legro RS, Barnhart HX, Schlaff WD, Carr BR, Diamond MP, Carson SA, et al. (2008) Ovulatory response to treatment to polycystic ovarian syndrome is associated with a polymorphism in the STK11 gene. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93: 792-800.
- Penegar S, Wood W, Lubbe S, Chandler I, Broderick P, Papaemmanuil E, et al. (2007) National study of colorectal cancer genetics. Br J Cancer 97: 1305-1309.
- Pierce LJ, Haffty BG (2011) Radiotherapy in the treatment of hereditary breast cancer. Semin Radiat Oncol 21: 43-50.
- Saucedo R, Zarate A, Basurto L, Hernandaz M, Puello E, Mendoza-Lorenzo P et al. (2014) RBP4 gene variants are associated with insulin resistance in women with previous gestational diabetes. Dis Markers 2014: 269208.
- Sripichai O, Fucharoen S (2007) Genetic polymorphisms and Implications for Human Diseases. J Med Asso Thai 90: 394-398.
- Sung JS, Whang YM, Park KH, Ryu JS, Choi JG, Seo JH et al. (2009) No association between promoter polymorphism of STK11 gene and lung cancer risk in the Korean population. Cancer Res Treat 41: 211-217.
- Tkac I, Javorsky M, Klimcakova L, Zidzik J, Gala I, Babiakova E et al. (2015) A pharmacogenetic association between a variation in calpain 10 (CAPN10) gene and the response to metformin treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 71: 59-63.
- Zhang S, Liu H, Zhang C, Wang L, Li N, Leng J et al. (2015) Maternal glucose during pregnancy and after delivery in women with gestational diabetes mellitus on overweight status of their children. Biomed Res Int 2015: 543038.
Publication order reference