Homocysteine level in urine of autistic and healthy children
Languages of publication
Homocysteine is an amino acid which plays several important roles in human physiology and is an important biomarker for possible deficiencies of various vitamins (vitamin B6 and B12, folic acid). In this work GC-MS method was used to determine the levels of homocysteine in the urine of autistic and healthy children. The levels of homocysteine in urine samples from 34 autistic and 21 healthy children were 2.36 ± 1.24 and 0.76 ± 0.31 (mmol∙mol-1 creatinine), respectively. The higher level of homocysteine in autistic children may indicate deficiencies of folic acid and vitamins B6 and B12 in nutrition of these children. The results of this work were taken into consideration in the nutrition of autistic children treated in the Navicula Centre of Diagnosis and Therapy of Autism in Łódź (Poland).
- Ahearn WH, Castine T, Nault K, Green G (2001) An assessment of food acceptance in children with autism or pervasive developmental disorder - not otherwise specified. J Autism Dev Disord 31: 505-511.
- Bald E, Kaniowska E, Chwatko G, Głowacki R (2000) Liquid chromatographic assessment of total and protein-bound homocysteine in human plasma. Talanta 50: 1233-1243.
- Boris M, Goldblatt A, Galanko J, James JM (2004) Association of MTHFR gene variants with autism. J Am Phys Surg 1: 106-108.
- Chen H, Chen Y, Horn R, Yang Z, Wang C, Turner MJ, Zhang K (2006) Clinical features of autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa associated with a rhodopsin mutation. Ann Acad Med Singapore 35: 411-415.
- Chauhan A, Chauhan V (2006) Oxidative stress in autism. Pathophysiology 13: 171-181.
- Ducros V, Schmitt D, Pernod G, Faure H, Polack B, Favier A (1999) Gas chromatographic-mass spectrometric determination of total homocysteine in human plasma by stable isotope dilution: method and clinical applications. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 729: 333-339.
- James SJ, Cutler P, Melnyk S, Jernigan S, Janak L, Gaylor DW, Neubrander JA (2004) Metabolic biomarkers of increased oxidative stress and impaired methylation capacity in children with autism Am J Clin Nutr 80: 1611-1617.
- Kałużna-Czaplińska J, Michalska M, Socha E, Błaszczyk S, Rozetti-Szymańska A, Rynkowski J (2009) Nutritional deficiencies in children for example of autistic children. Nowa Pediatria 4: 94-100 (in Polish).
- Kaniowska E, Chwatko G, Głowacki R, Kubalczyk P, Bald E (1998) Urinary excretion measurement of cysteine andhomocysteine in the form of their S-pyridinium derivatives by high-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection. J Chromatogr A 798: 27-35.
- Kuśmierek K, Głowacki R, Bald E (2006) Analysis of urine for cysteine, cysteinylglycine, and homocysteine by high-performance liquid chromatography. Anal Bioanal Chem 385: 855-860.
- Lochman P, Adam T, Friedecky D, Hlidkova E, Skopkova Z (2003) High-throughput capillary electrophoretic method for determination oftotal aminothiols in plasma and urine. Electrophoresis 24: 1200-1207.
- Miller AM, Kelly GS (1996) Methionine and homocysteine metabolism and the nutritional prevention of certain birth defects and complications of pregnancy. Altern Med Rev 4: 220-235.
- Moretti P, Sahoo T, Hyland K, Bottiglieri T, Peters S, del Gaudio D, Roa B, Curry S, Zhu H, Finnell RH, Neul JL, Ramaekers VT, Blau N, Bacino CA, Miller G, Scaglia F (2005) Cerebral folate deficiency with developmental delay, autism, and response to folinic acid. Neurology 64: 1088-1090.
- Nekrassova O, Lawrence NS, Compton RG (2003) Analytical determination of homocysteine: a review. Talanta 60: 1085-1095.
- Pasca SP, Nemes B, Vlase L, Gagyi CE, Dronca E, Miu AC and Dronca M (2006) High levels of homocysteine and low serumparaoxonase 1 arylesterase activity in children with autism. Life Sci 78: 2244-2248.
- Pastore A, Massoud R, Motti C, Lo Russo A, Fucci G, Cortese C, Federici G (1998) Fully automated assay for total homocysteine, cysteine, cysteinylglycine, glutathione, cysteamine, and 2-mercaptopropionylglycine in plasma and urine. Clin Chem 44: 825-832.
- Paul C, Williams KE, Riegel K, Gibbons B (2007) Combining repeated taste exposure and escape prevention: an intervention for the treatment of extreme food selectivity. Appetite 49: 708-711.
- Pietzsch J, Julius U, Hanefeld M (1997) Rapid determination of total homocysteine in human plasma by using N(O,S)-ethoxycarbonyl ethyl ester derivatives and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Clin Chem 43: 2001-2004.
- Proksch B, Jelesnianski S, Oberrauch W, Fuxa R, Gleiter Ch (2005) Adaptation of a high-performance liquid chromatographic method for quantitative determination of homocysteine in urine. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 828: 122-125.
- Rafii M, Elango R, Courtney-Martin G, House JD, Fisher L, Pencharz PB (2007) High-throughput and simultaneous measurement of homocysteine and cysteine in human plasma and urine by liquid chromatography-electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Biochem 371: 71-81.
- Refsum H, Smith AD, Ueland PM, Nexo E, Clarke R, McPartlin J, Johnston C, Engbaek F, Schneede J, McPartlin C, Scott JM (2004) Facts and recommendations about total homocysteine determinations: an expert opinion. Clin Chem 50: 3-32.
- Suh JH, Walsh WJ, McGinnis WR, Lewis A, Ames BN (2008) Altered sulfur amino acid metabolism in immune cells of children diagnosed with autism. Am J Biochem Biotech 4: 105-113.
- Surtees R (2001) Cobalaminand folate responsive disorders. Baxter P, ed, pp 96-98. Mac Keith Press, London.
- Waly M, Olteanu H, Banerjee R, Choi SW, Mason JB, Parker BS, Sukumar S, Shim S, Sharma A, Benzecry JM, Power-Charnitsky VA, Deth RC (2004) Activation of methionine synthase by insulin-like growth factor-1 and dopamine: a target for neurodevelopmental toxins and thimerosal. Mol Psychiatry 9: 358-370.
- White JF (2003) Intestinal pathophysiology in autism. Exp Biol Med Maywood 228: 639-649.
- Williams KE, Gibbons BG, Schreck KA (2005) Food comparing selective eaters with and without developmental disabilities. J Dev Phys Disabil 17: 299-309.
- Zinellu A, Sotgia S, Usai MF, Zinellu E, Posadino AM, Gaspa L, Chessa R, Pinna A, Carta F, Deiana L, Carru C (2007) Plasma methionine determination by capillary electrophoresis-UV assay: application on patients affected by retinal venous occlusive disease. Anal Biochem 363: 91-96.
Publication order reference