Performance in Team Sports: Identifying the Keys to Success in Soccer
Languages of publication
The aim of this study was to identify specific performance indicators that discriminate the top clubs from the others based on significantly different pitch action performance in the Spanish Soccer League. All 380 games corresponding to the 2008-2009 season have been analyzed. The studied variables were divided into three groups related to goals scored (goals for, goals against, total shots, shots on goal, shooting accuracy, shots for a goal), offense (assists, crosses, offsides committed, fouls received, corners, ball possession) and defense (crosses against, offsides received, fouls committed, corners against, yellow cards, red cards). Data were analyzed performing a one-way ANOVA. Significant differences across sections of the league table were found for the following pitch actions: goals for, total shots, shots on goal, shots for a goal, assists and ball possession. The main findings of this study suggest that top teams had a higher average of goals for, total shots and shots on goal than middle and bottom teams (p<0.05). Bottom teams needed a higher number of shots for scoring a goal than the other groups of teams (p<0.05). Middle teams showed a lower value in assists and ball possession than top teams (p<0.05). In conclusion, this paper presents values that can be used as normative data to design and evaluate practices and competitions for peak performance soccer teams in a collective way.
30 - 9 - 2010
9 - 10 - 2010
- Armatas V, Yiannakos A, Zaggelidis G, Skoufas D, Papadopoulou S, Fragkos N. Goal scoring patterns in Greek top leveled soccer matches. J Phys Educ Sport, 2009; 23(2): 1-5.
- Bate R. Football chance: Tactics and strategy. In T Reilly, A Lees, K Davids, W Murphy (eds): Science and football. London: E & FN Spon, 1988, pp 293-301.
- Boulier B, Stekler H. (2003). Predicting the outcomes of National Football League games. Int J Forecast, 2003; 19(2): 257-270.[Crossref][WoS]
- Carling C, Reilly T, Williams A. Performance assessment for field sports: Physiological, psychological and match notational assessment in practice. London: Routledge, 2009.
- Carling C, Williams A, Reilly T. Handbook of soccer match analysis: a systematic approach to improving performance. London: Routledge, 2005.
- Carmichael F, Thomas D, Ward R. Production and efficiency in Association Football. J Sports Econ, 2001; 2(3): 228-243.[Crossref]
- Carmichael F, Thomas D, Ward R. Team performance: the case of English Premiership football. Manage Decis Econ, 2000; 21: 31-45.[Crossref]
- Csataljay G, O'Donoghue P, Hughes M, Dancs H. Performance indicators that distinguish winning and losing teams in basketball. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2009; 9: 60-66.
- Gómez M, Álvaro J, Barriopedro MI. Behaviour patterns of finishing plays in female and male soccer. Kronos, 2009; 8(15): 15-24 (in Spanish with English abstract).
- Gómez M, Barriopedro MI, Álvaro J. Differences in playing actions between men and women in elite soccer teams. In A Hökelmann, K White, P O'Donoghue (eds): Current trends in performance analysis. World Congress of Performance Analysis of Sports VIII. Magdebourg: Shaker Verlag, 2009, pp 50-51.
- Grant H, Williams A, Reilly T. Analysis of the goals scored in the 1998 World Cup. J Sports Sci, 1999; 17(10): 826-827.
- Hook C, Hughes M. (2001). Patterns of play leading to shots in Euro 2000. In M Hughes, I Franks (eds): Pass. Com. Cardiff: Center for Performance Analysis, UWIC, 2001, pp 295-302.
- Horn R, Williams M, Ensum J. Attacking in central areas: A preliminary analysis of attacking play in the 2001/2002 FA Premiership season. Insight, 2002; 3: 31-34.
- Hughes M, Bartlett RM. The use of performance indicators in performance analysis. J Sports Sci, 2002; 20(10): 739-754.[Crossref]
- Hughes M, Churchill S. Attacking Profiles of Successful and Unsuccessful Teams in Copa America 2001. In T Reilly, J Cabri, D Araújo (eds): Science and football V: the proceedings of the Fifth World Congress on Science and Football. London: Routledge, 2005, pp 219-224.
- Hughes MD, Cooper SM, Nevill AM. Analysis procedures for non-parametric data from performance analysis. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2002; 2: 6-20.
- Hughes M, Franks I. Analysis of passing sequences, shots and goals in soccer. J Sports Sci, 2005; 23(5): 509-514.[Crossref]
- Hughes MD, Franks I. Notational Analysis of Sport. London: Taylor and Francis, 1997.
- Hughes M, Robertson K, Nicholson A. Comparison of patterns of play of successful and unsuccessful teams in the 1986 World Cup for soccer. In T Reilly, A Lees, K Davis, W Murphy (eds): Science and Football. London: E. & F. N. Spon, 1988, pp 363-367.
- Ibáñez S, Sampaio J, Feu S, Lorenzo A, Gómez M, Ortega E. Basketball game-related statistics that discriminate between teams' season-long success. Eur J Sport Sci, 2008; 8(6): 369-372.[WoS][Crossref]
- James N, Jones PD, Mellalieu SD. Possession as a performance indicator in soccer. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2004; 4: 98-102.
- Jones N, Mellalieu S, James N. Team performance indicators as a function of winning and losing in rugby union. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2004; 4(1): 61-71.
- Lago C. Consequences of a busy soccer match schedule on team performance: empirical evidence from Spain. Int Sport Med J, 2009; 10(2): 86-92.
- Lago C, Martin R. Determinants of possession of the ball in soccer. J Sports Sci, 2007; 25(9): 969-974.[WoS][Crossref]
- Low D, Taylor S, Williams M. A quantitative analysis of successful and unsuccessful teams. Insight, 2002; 4: 32-34.
- Luhtanen PH. A statistical evaluation of offensive actions in soccer at World Cup level in Italy 1990. In T Reilly, J Clarys, A Stibbe (eds): Science and Football II. London: E. and F. N. Spon, 1993, pp 215-220.
- Oberstone J. Differentiating the top English Premier League Clubs from the rest of the pack: Identifying the keys to success. J Quant Anal Sports, 2009; 5(3): Article 10.[Crossref]
- O'Donoghue P. Normative profiles of sports performance. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2005; 5(1): 104-119.
- Ortega E, Villarejo D, Palao J. Differences in game statistics between winning and losing rugby teams in the Six Nations Tournament. J Sports Sci Med, 2009; 8: 523-527.
- Sampaio J, Lago C, Drinkwater E. Explanations for the United States of America's dominance in basketball at the Beijing Olympic Games (2008). J Sports Sci, 2010; 28(2), 147-152.[WoS]
- Stanhope J. An investigation into possession with respect to time, in the soccer World Cup 1994. In M Hughes (ed): Notational Analysis of Sport III. Cardiff: Centre for Performance Analysis, UWIC, 2001, pp 155-162.
- Taylor J, Mellalieu S, James N. Behavioural comparisons of positional demands in professional soccer. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2004; 4(1): 81-97.
- Taylor JB, Mellalieu SD, James N, Shearer DA. The influence of match location, quality of opposition, and match status on technical performance in professional Association Football. J Sports Sci, 2008; 26(9): 885-895.[WoS][Crossref]
- Tucker W, Mellalieu SD, James N, Taylor JB. Game location effects in professional soccer: A case study. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2005; 5(2): 23-35.
- Yamanaka K, Hughes M, Lott M. An analysis of playing patterns in the 1990 World Cup for association football. In T Reilly, J Clarys, A Stibbe (eds): Science and Football II. London: E. & F. N. Spon, 1993, pp 206-214.
Publication order reference