Relationships between Insulin-Like Growth Factor I and Selected Clinico-Morphological Parameters in Colorectal Cancer Patients
Languages of publication
Insulin Like Growth Factor (IGF I) as the one of the strongest growth factors which can affect cancers development including colorectal cancer. IGF I induces processes of the cells growth and division. It regulates cells cycle and inhibits apoptosis. There is limited data about correlation between IGF I and staging of the tumor.The aim of the study was estimation of the clinical usefulness of IGF I concentration in the serum of the patients with colorectal cancer.Material and methods. We have examined 125 individuals with colorectal cancer. The age range was 36 to 92 years. They have been operated in the 2nd Departament of The Gastrointestinal Surgery of the Medical University in Białystok. Serum concentration of the IGF I have been estimated using immunoassay ELISA before and after operation. Correlation between serum level of IGF I and clinicopathologic features: age, gender, localisation of the primary tumor, TNM stage of tumor, histological type and histological grade (G) of the cancer have been estimated.Results. Our study revealed statistically significant increased serum concentration of IGF I in patients with locally advanced colorectal cancer (pT3 and pT4) comparing to less advanced (pT2) The investigations showed higher serum concentration of IGF I in patients with poorly differentiated cancers (G3) than in moderately differentiated. Similarly higher serum concentration of IGF I were found in male, in patients older than 60 years and in mucigenous colorectal cancers.Conclusions. Our results indicated that IGF I can be one of the factors of the prognosis in colorectal cancer development.
1 - 5 - 2011
24 - 6 - 2011
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E et al.: Cancer statistics, 2009. CA Cancer J Clin 2009; 59: 225.
- Mandel J, Bond J, Church T et al.: Reducing mortality from colorectal cancer by screening for fecal occult blood. N Eng J Med 1993; 13: 1365.
- Szymandera JJ: Kliniczne zastosowanie biochemicznych markerów nowotoworowych. Probl Med Nukl 1987; 1: 89-99.
- Hall K, Sara VR: Growth and Somatomedins. Vitamin. Horm., 1983; 40: 175.
- Renehan Ag, Painter Je, O'Halloran D et al.: Circulating Insulin-Like Growth Factor II and Colorectal Adenomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000; 85: 3402-08.
- Duan C: Specifying the cellular responses to IGF signals: roles of IGF binding proteins. J Endocrinol 2002; 175: 41-54.
- Khandwala HM, Mccutcheon IE, Flyvbjerg A et al.: The Effects of Insulin - Like Growth Factors on Tumorigenesis and Neoplastic Growth. Endocr Rev 2000; 21: 215-44.
- Aaronson SA: Growth factors and cancer. Science 1991; 1991: 1146-53.
- Cullen KJ, Smith HS, Hill S et al.: Growth factor messenger RNA expression by human breast fibro-blasts from benign and malignant lesions. Cancer Res 1991; 51: 4978-85.
- Daughday WH: The possible autocrine/paracrine and endocrine roles of insulin-like growth factors of human tumors. Endocrinology 1990; 127: 1-4.
- Macaulay VM: Insulin-like growth factor and cancer. Br J Cancer 1992; 65: 311-20.
- Minuto F, Del Monte P, Barreca A et al.: Evidence for an increased somatomedin-C/insulin-like growth factor I content in primary human lung tumors. Cancer Res 1986; 46: 985-88.
- Reeve JG, Payne JA, Bleehen NM: Production of immunoreactive insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF -I binding proteins by human lung tumours. Br J Cancer 1990; 61: 727-31.
- Stewart AJ, Johnson MD, May FE et al.: Role of insulin-like growth factors and the type I insulin-like growth factor receptor in the estrogen-stimulated proliferation of human breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem 1990; 265: 21172-78.
- Wu Y, Yakar S, Zhao L et al.: Circulating insulin-like growth factor - I levels regulate colon cancer growth and metastasis. Cancer Res 2002; 15: 1030-35.
- Lahm H, Suardet L, Laurent PL et al.: Growth regulation and co-stimulation of human colorectal cancer cell lines by insulin-like growth factor I, II and transforming growth factor alpha. Br J Cancer 1992; 65: 341-46.
- Manousos O, Souglakos J, Bosetti C et al.: IGF - I and IGF - II in relation to colorectal cancer. Int J Cancer 1999; 83: 15-17.
- Grimberg A, Cohen P: Role of Insulin - Like Growth Factor and Their Binding Proteins in Growth Control and Carcinogenesis. J Cell Physiol 2000; 183: 1-9.
- Nomura AMY, Stemmermann GN, Lee J et al.: Serum insulin-like growth factor and subsequent risk of colorectal cancer among Japanese-American Men. Am J Epidemiol 2003; 158: 424-31.
- Kaaks R, Toniolo P, Akhmedkhadnov A et al.: Serum C-peptide, insulin-like factor (IGF-I), IGF - binding proteins and colorectal cancer risk in women. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000; 92: 1592-1600.
- El Atiq F, Garrouste F, Remacle-Bonnet M et al.: Alterations in serum levels of insulin-like growth factor and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in patients with colorectal caner. Int J Cancer 1994; 57: 491-97.
- Glass AR, Kikendall JW, Sobin LH et al.: Serum concentrations of insulin-like growth factor I in colonic neoplasia. Acta Oncol 1994; 33: 70-71.
- Palmqvist R, Hallmans G, Rinaldi S et al.: Plasma insulin-like growth factor I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3, and risk of colorectal cancer: prospective study in northern Sweden. Gut 2002; 50: 642-46.
- Probst-Hensch NM, Yuan JM, Stanczyk FZ et al.: IGF I, IGF II and IGF BP-3 in prediagnostic serum: association with colorectal cancer in a cohort of Chinese men in Shanghai. Brit J Cancer 2001; 85: 1695-99.
- Ma J, Pollak MN, Giovannucci E et al.: Prospectivestudy of colorectal cancer risk in men and plasma levels of insulin-like gowth factor (IGF) - I and binding protein-3. J Natl Cancer Inst 1999; 91: 620-25.
- Renehan AG, Painter JE, Atkin WS et al.: High-risk colorectal adenomas and serum insulin-like growth factors. Br J Surg 2001; 88: 107-13.
- Teramukai S, Rohan T, Lee KY et al.: Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)- I, IGF-binding protein-3 and colorectal adenomas in Japanese men. Jpn J Cancer Res 2002; 93: 1187-94.[Crossref]
- Hassan AB, Macaulau VM: The insulin-like growth factor system as a therapeutic target in colorectal cancer. Ann Oncol 2002; 13: 349-56.
- Wei EK, Ma J, Pollak MN et al.: A prospective study of C-peptide, insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-I, and the risk of colorectal cancer in women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2005; 14: 850-55.[Crossref]
- Ma J, Giovannucci E, Pollak M et al.: A prospective study of plasma C-peptide and colorectal cancer risk in men. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004; 96: 546-53.
- Clemmons DR, Underwood LE, Ridgway EC et al.: Estradiol treatment of acromegaly, Rduction of immunoreactive somatomedin-C and improvement in metabolic status. Am J Med 1980; 69: 571-75.
- Michell NP, Langman MJS, Eggo MC et al.: Insulin-like growth factor and their binding proteins in human colonocytes. Preferential degradation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 in colonic cancers. Br J Cancer 1997; 76: 60-66.
- Bauer TW, Fan F, Liu W et al.: Insulinlike growth factor I mediated migration and invasion of human colon carcinoma cells requires activation of c-Met and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor. Ann Surg 2005; 241: 748-56.
Publication order reference