Influence of ion bombardment on the photoluminescence response of embedded CdS nanoparticles
Languages of publication
Semiconductor nanoparticles (CdS) were fabricated by an inexpensive chemical route using polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) as the dielectric host matrix. Nano-CdS in PVA were subjected to ion irradiation (using oxygen, chlorine and gold) in the medium energy range (80–100 MeV) and under fluence variation of 1011–1013 ions/cm2. The nature of light emission was found to be drastically different in each of the three cases. Photoluminescence spectra of oxygen irradiated samples exhibit band edge emission (2.8 eV) as well as trap related emission (1.76 eV) whereas band edge emission is found to be bleached out for chlorine ion irradiated nano-CdS. The intense broad PL peaks, noticeable in the case of gold ion irradiated samples suggest superposition of the two peaks - namely, band edge emission and trap related emission. Furthermore, in the case of gold ion irradiated nano-CdS, energy shift in the PL spectra reveals variation in size distribution caused by the extra pressure effect of heavy gold ion beams. The mechanism of such a difference as a result of ion irradiation-type and ion-fluence is discussed in detail.
1 - 6 - 2006
1 - 6 - 2006
-  U. Woggen: Optical Properties of Semiconductor Quantum dots, Springer, Berlin, 1996.
-  G.P. Banfi, V. Degiorgio and D. Ricard: “Nonlinear optical properties of semiconductor nanocrystals”, Advances in Physics, Vol. 47, (1998), pp. 447–510. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/000187398243537[Crossref]
-  J. Nanda, K.S. Narayana, K.B. Kuruvilla, G.L. Murthy and D.D. Sharma: “Sizable photocurrent and emission from solid state devices based on CdS nanoparticles”, Appl. Phys. Lett. Vol. 72, (1998), pp. 1335–1337. http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.120986[Crossref]
-  J.R. Lakowicz, I. Gryczynski, Z. Gryczynski and C.J. Murphy: “Luminescence spectral properties of CdS nanoparticles”, J. Phys. Chem. B, Vol. 103, (1999) pp. 7613–7620. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp991469n[Crossref]
-  M. Ando, Y. Kanemitsu, T. Kushida, K. Matsuda, T. Saiki and C.W. White: “Sharp photoluminescence of CdS nanocrystals in Al2O3 matrices formed by sequential ion implantation”, Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 79, (2001), pp. 539–541. http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.1387259[Crossref]
-  D. Mohanta, S.K. Dolui and A. Choudhury: “Production of semiconductor quantum dots by chemical method and their size control”, Indian J. Phys., Vol. 75A(1), (2001), pp. 53–56.
-  P. Nemac and P. Maly: “Temperature study of trap-related photoluminescence decay in CdSxSe1−x nanocrystals in glass”, J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 87, (2000), pp. 3342–3348. http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.372346[Crossref]
-  P.D. Persans, L.B. Lurio, J. Pant, G.D. Lian and T.M. Hayes: “Zn incorporation in CdS nanoparticles in glass”, Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 63, (2001), pp. 115320-1-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.63.115320
-  J.F. Ziegler: SRIM-2000, computer program, http://www.srim.org.
-  M. Tanaka: “Photoluminescence properties of Mn2+-doped II–VI semiconductor nanocrystals”, J. Luminescence, Vol. 100, (2002), pp. 163–173. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-2313(02)00448-9[Crossref]
-  R.N. Bhargava, D. Gallagher, X. Hong and A. Nurmikko: “Optical properties of manganese-doped nanocrystals of ZnS”, Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 72, (1994), pp. 416–419. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.72.416[Crossref]
-  M.G. Bawendi, P.J. Carroll, W.L. Wilson and L.E. Brus: “Luminescence properties of CdSe quantum crystallites: Resonance between interior and surface localized states”, J. Chem. Phys., Vol. 96, (1992), pp. 946–954. http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.462114[Crossref]
-  A.I. Ekimov, I.A. Kudryavtsev, M.G. Ivanov and Al.L. Efros: “Spectra and decay kinetics of radiative recombination in CdS microcrystals”, J. Luminescence, Vol. 46, (1990), pp. 83–95. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-2313(90)90010-9[Crossref]
-  U. Woggen, O. Wind, F. Gindele, E. Tsitsishvili and M. Mueller: “Optical transitions in CdSe quantum dots: From discrete levels to broad gain spectra”, J. Luminescence, Vol. 70, (1996), pp. 269–280. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-2313(96)00060-9[Crossref]
-  D. Mohanta, N.C. Mishra and A. Choudhury: “SHI induced grain growth and grain fragmentation effects in polymer embedded CdS quantum dot systems”, Mater. Letters, Vol. 58, (2004), pp. 3694–3699. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2004.06.061[Crossref]
Publication order reference