Spectroscopic methods of studying enzyme action in wool fibre
Languages of publication
Enzymes may be used to develop an environmentally friendly alternative to the conventional polluting technologies in textile finishing. The action of the unlabeled and fluorescent labeled proteolytic enzymes subtilisin and trypsin on wool was examined. Scanning electron micrographs and a diffusion study, based on fluorescence microscopy, localized the enzymatic attack on the fiber. A kinetic study was carried out by monitoring the amino acid content of the treatment liquor.Enzymatic action is not confined to the fiber surface. To limit attack to the surface and reduce wool damage new treatment methods such as enzyme immobilization onto a solid carrier must be investigated.
1 - 12 - 2006
1 - 12 - 2006
-  E. Heine and H. Höcker: “Enzyme Treatments for Wool and Cotton”, Rev. Prog. Coloration, Vol. 25, (1995), pp. 57–63.
-  R. Stohr: “Enzyme - Biokatalysatoren in der Textilveredlung”, Melliand-Text. Ber., Vol.11, (1995), pp. 1010–1013.
-  T.G. Fischer-Colbrie, S. Heumann, St. Liebminger, E. Almansa, A. Cavaco-Paulo and G.M. Guebitz: “New enzymes with potential for PET surface modification”, Biocatal. Biotransfor., Vol. 22, (2004), pp. 341–346. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10242420400024565[Crossref]
-  C. Silva and A. Cavaco-Paulo: “Monitoring biotransformations in polyamide fibers”, Biocatal. Biotransfor., Vol. 22, (2004), pp. 357–360. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10242420400025828[Crossref]
-  D. Petersen: “Determination of DH Based on OPA Reaction”, Analytical Method, Novo Nordisk A/S. ED-9512723, 1995.
-  H. Rinderknecht: “Ultra-Rapid Fluorescent Labelling of Protein”, Nature, Vol. 193, (1962), p. 167. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/193167b0[Crossref]
-  E. Heine: Grundlegende Untersuchungen zur Einwirkung von Enzymen auf Wolle, Thesis (PhD), Technische Hochschule Aachen, 1991.
-  M.S. Fogorasi: Ecological Finishing Procedures obtained by means of Biochemical Change of Cellulosic and Proteic Fibers, Thesis (PhD), Polytechnical Institute “Gh. Asachi” Isai, 2003.
-  M.S. Fogorasi, A. Grigoriu and E. Heine: “Immobilized Enzymes and their Action on Wool Fibers”, Bulletin of Polytechnical Institute of Iasi, XLVIII(LII), Fasc. 1–2, Textile-Leather, (2002), pp. 59–67.
-  C. Silva: “Enzymatic Treatment of Wool with Modified Proteases”, Thesis (PhD), Universidada do Minho, 2005.
Publication order reference