A comparison of two aerobic training methods (running vs rope jumping) on health-related physical fitness in 10 to 12 years old boys
Languages of publication
The purpose of this study was to compare of two aerobic training methods on health-related physical fitness in 10 to 12 years old boys. Thirty-three male students (age 11.27±0.64 year, weight 40.58±9.03 kg, height 151.45±6.34 cm) were recruited from preliminary school and randomly were assigned into rope-jump training (n=12), running training (n=11) and control (n=10) groups. Due to the grouping, each for 8 weeks did the rope jumping or running. Before and after the 8-week training period, factors of health-related fitness, including flexibility, muscular endurance, aerobic power and fat Percentage of the subjects were measured. The results indicated a significant positive effect of rope-jumping training on aerobic power, muscular endurance and body composition and meaningful improvement of aerobic power and body composition by running training (p≤0.05). Due to increasing urbanization and lack of space in homes and schools, rope-jump training can be a good alternative rather than running for physical fitness promotion.
- Department of Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Guilan, Rasht, Iran.
- Department of Physical Education, Islamic Azad University, Rasht Branch, Rasht, Iran.
- Department of Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Guilan, Rasht, Iran.
- 1. Garland JR., H. Schutz, M.A. Chappell, B.K. Keeney, T.H. Meek, L.E. Copes, et al: The biological control of voluntary exercise, spontaneous physical activity and daily energy expenditure in relation to obesity. Human and rodent perspectives, J. Exp. Biol. 214; 2011: 206–229. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1242/jeb.048397
- 2. De Onis, M, and M Blössner: Prevalence and trends of overweight among preschool children in developing countries. Am Clinical nutr 72.4, 2000; 1032-1039. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2010.29786
- 3. Malina, R.M: Physical activity and fitness: pathways from childhood to adulthood. Am J Human Biol 13.2, 2001; 162-172. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/1520-6300(200102/03)13:2%3C162::aid-ajhb1025%3E3.3.co;2-k
- 4. Ruegsegger, G.N., et al: Reduced metabolic disease risk profile by voluntary wheel running accompanying juvenile Western diet in rats bred for high and low voluntary exercise. Physiol & Behav 152, 2015; 47-55.
- 5. Armstrong, N, et al: Physical activity patterns and aerobic fitness among prepubescents. Euro Phys Edu Rev 2.1, 1996; 19-29. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2015.09.004
- 6. Klainin-Yobas, P, Hong-Gu H, and Y. Lau: Physical fitness, health behaviour and health among nursing students: A descriptive correlational study. Nurse Edu today, 2015. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.06.014
- 7. Kemper, Han CG, et al: Adolescent motor skill and performance: is physical activity in adolescence related to adult physical fitness? Am J Human Biol 13.2, 2001; 180-189. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/1520- 6300(200102/03)13:2%3C180::aid-ajhb1027%3E3.3.co;2-i
- 8. Ortega, F. B., et al: Physical fitness in childhood and adolescence: a powerful marker of health. Int J Obesity 32.1, 2008; 1-11. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803774
- 9. Tolfrey, K, Andrew M. Jones, and I.G. Campbell: The effect of aerobic exercise training on the lipid- lipoprotein profile of children and adolescents. Sports Med 29.2, 2000; 99-112. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200029020-00003
- 10. Ekeland, Eilin, et al: Can exercise improve self-esteem in children and young people? A systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Br J Sports Med 39.11, 2005; 792. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2004.017707
- 11. Mota-Pereira, J, et al.: Moderate exercise improves depression parameters in treatment-resistant patients with major depressive disorder. Psychiat Res 45.8, 2011; 1005-1011. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2011.02.005
- 12. Li, L: People can live longer by having more physical activity. Sport and Health Sci 1.1, 2012; 7-8. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jshs.2012.02.001
- 13. Scully, D, et al: Physical exercise and psychological well-being: a critical review. Br J Sports Med 32.2, 1998; 111-120. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.32.2.111
- 14. Brown J.D., S.P. Naples, F.W. Booth: Effects of voluntary running on oxygen consumption, RQ, and energy expenditure during primary prevention of diet-induced obesity in C57BL/6N mice. J Appl Physiol. 113, 2012; 473–478. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00668.2011
- 15. Gallahue, D.L: Instructor's Manual and Test Item File to Accompany Developmental Physical Education for Today's Children. Brown & Benchmark, 1996.
- 16. Janssen, I, and Allana G. LeBlanc: Review Systematic review of the health benefits of physical activity and fitness in school-aged children and youth. Int J Behav Nutr and Phys Act 7.40, 2010: 1-16. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1201/b18227-14
- 17. Lee, B: Jump rope training. Human Kinetics, 2010.
- 18. Pitreli, J, and Pat O'Shea: SPORTS PERFORMANCE SERIES: Rope Jumping: The biomechanics, techniques of and application to athletic conditioning. Strength & Cond J 8.4, 1986; 5-13. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1519/0744-0049(1986)008%3C0005:rjtbto%3E2.3.co;2
- 19. Toplak, M.E., Colleen D, and R, Tannock: Temporal information processing in ADHD: findings to date and new methods. J Neurosci meth 151.1, 2006; 15-29. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jneumeth.2005.09.018
- 20. Newell, K. M: Constraints on the development of coordination. In: MG, Wade, & HT, Whiting (Eds.), Motor development in children: Asp coord and cont, 1986; 341-361 Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-94- 009-4460-2_19
- 21. Solis, K: Aerobic Requirements for and Heart Rate Responses to Variations in Rope Jumping Techniques. Phys and Sports Med 16.3,1988.
- 22. Trampas, A, and A, Kitsios: Exercise and manual therapy for the treatment of impingement syndrome of the shoulder: a systematic review. Phys therap Rev 11.2, 2006; 125-142. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/108331906x99065
- 23. Hubisz, J.L: Sport Science: Physical Laws and Optimum Performance: Peter J. Brancazio. The Physics Teacher 42.5, 2004; 318-318. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.1737986
- 24. Payne, V.G, James R. and Morrow J.R. Exercise and VO2max in children: A meta-analysis. Res Q Exerc & Sport 64.3, 1993; 305-313.
- 25. Gutin, B, et al.: Relations of moderate and vigorous physical activity to fitness and fatness in adolescents. The Am J Clin Nutr 81.4, 2005; 746-750.
- 26. Ruiz, J.R., et al: Relations of total physical activity and intensity to fitness and fatness in children: the European Youth Heart Study. Am J Clin Nutr 84.2, 2006; 299-303.
- 27. De Vries, Sanne I., et al: Determinants of activity-friendly neighborhoods for children: results from the SPACE study. Am J Health promot 21.4s, 2007; 312-316. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171- 21.4s.312
- 28. Roemmich, J.N., et al.: Association of access to parks and recreational facilities with the physical activity of young children. Preventive Med 43.6, 2006; 437-441. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2006.07.007
- 29. Demetriou, Yolanda, et al: The effects of school-based physical activity interventions on students' health- related fitness knowledge: A systematic review. Edu Res Rev 16, 2015; 19-40. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.edurev.2015.07.002
- 30. Greene, J.C: The effects of a ten-week physical fitness program on fitness profiles, self-concept, and body- esteem in children. 1993
- 31. Chen, Chao-Chien, and Yi-Chun Lin.: Jumping rope intervention on health-related physical fitness in students with intellectual impairment. Human Res & Adult Learn 8.1, 2012; 234-238.
- 32. Chen, H. M: The Effects of rope skipping on health-related physical fitness in student with mild intellectual disability: A case study. Unpublished Master's Thesis. Taipei: National Taiwan Normal University, 2010.
- 33. Tsai, Y. H: Effect of rope jumping training on the health related physical fitness of students with amblyopia. Unpublished Master's Thesis. Taipei: National Taiwan Normal University, 2009
- 34. Yeh, H. C: The role of vision in rope skipping training for balance development in the mental retardation. Unpublished Master's Thesis/. Taipei: National Taiwan Normal University, 2007
- 35. Partavi, S: Effects of 7 weeks of rope-jump training on cardiovascular endurance, speed, and agility in middle school student boys. Sport Sci 6.2, 2013
- 36. Humbert, L: CAHPERD Scholar Address: Carpe Diem-A challenge for us all. Phys & Health Edu 71.3, 2005; 4
- 37. Purnell, J.Q., et al: Effect of Weight Loss with Reduction of Intra-Abdominal Fat on Lipid Metabolism in Older Men 1. J Clin Endocrinol & Metab 85.3, 2000; 977-982. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1210/jcem.85.3.6402
- 38. Herman, Katya M., et al: Sedentary behavior in a cohort of 8-to 10-year-old children at elevated risk of obesity. Preventive Med 60, 2014; 115-120. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2013.12.029
- 39. Tremblay, M.S., et al: Systematic review of sedentary behavior and health indicators in school-aged children and youth. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 8.1, 2011; 98. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-8- 98
- 40. Timpka, S, et al: Muscle strength in adolescent men and risk of cardiovascular disease events and mortality in middle age: a prospective cohort study. BMC Med 12.1, 2014; 62. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1741- 7015-12-62
- 41. Rauner, A, Filip M, and A. Woll: The relationship between physical activity, physical fitness and overweight in adolescents: a systematic review of studies published in or after 2000. BMC pediatr 13.1, 2013; 19. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2431-13-19
- 42. Flodmark, C.E, et al: New insights into the field of children and adolescents’ obesity: the European perspective. Int J obesity 28.10, 2004; 1189-1196. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802787
- 43. American College of Sports Medicine. ACSM’s guidelines for exercise testing and prescription (4th ed.). Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger,1991
- 44. Ozer, D., et al: The effects of rope or weighted rope jump training on strength, coordination and proprioception in adolescent female volleyball players. Sports Med & Phys Fit 51.2, 2011; 211.
- 45. Takai, Y, et al: Effects of body mass-based squat training in adolescent boys. Sports Sci & Med 12.1, 2013; 60
Publication order reference