A summary of the use of maize in nutritional products for sportsmen
Languages of publication
The aim of the investigation was to review experimental articles and patents referring to corn-based nutritional products for sportspeople published in the period 1970–2019. Publications were searched in the ISI Web of Science and Scopus databases, as well as the Google Scholar and Google Patents internet search engines. Factorial combinations of the keywords (“Zea mays” or “maize” or “corn”) and (“athlete” or “sport”) were applied. Most papers and patents were published in the period 2010–2019 by researchers affiliated to the USA and China – the two largest global producers of corn. Altogether, 65 patents and 16 articles were recorded. Inventors patented food supplements based on corn-derived saccharides and proteins. Empirical articles were devoted to the impact of corn-based food products on health of sportspeople, evaluation of the impact of length of consumption on the metabolism and performance of athletes, as well the frequency of use and acceptance of nutritional products based on corn by sportspeople. Despite growing interest in the application of corn constituents in nutritional products for sportspeople, further investigations are strongly desirable.
- Ahmad, A., Jusoh, N., Tengah, R. (2019). Acute physiological responses and performance following subsequent CrossFit ‘CINDY’ workout with Zea Mays juice. Physical Education of Students, 23 (2), 57–63. DOI: 10.15561/20755279.2019.0201.
- Benz, B.F. (2001). Archaeological evidence of teosinte domestication from Guilá Naquitz, Oaxaca. PNAS, 98 (4), 2104–2106. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.98.4.2104.
- Bocarsly, M.E., Powell, E.S., Avena, N.M., Hoebel, B.H. (2010). High-fructose corn syrup causes characteristics of obesity in rats: increased body weight, body fat and triglyceride levels. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, 97 (1), 101–106. DOI: 10.1016/j.pbb.2010.02.012.
- Bray, G.A., Nielsen, S.J., Popkin, B.M. (2004). Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 79, 537–543.
- Brown, W.L., Zuber, M.S., Darrah, L.L., Glover, D.Y. (1985). Origin, adaption, and types of corn. In: H.A. Wadsworth (ed.), National corn handbook. Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University, Cooperative Extension Service.
- Carrera, Y., Utrilla-Coello, R., Bello-Pérez, A., Alvarez-Ramirez, J., Vernon-Carter, E.J. (2015). In vitro digestibility, crystallinity, rheological, thermal, particle size and morphological characteristics of pinole, a traditional energy food obtained from toasted ground maize. Carbohydrate Polymers, 123 (5), 246–255. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2015.01.044.
- Chaudhary, D.P., Kumar, S., Yadav, O.P. (2014). Nutritive Value of Maize: Improvements, Applications and Constraints. In: D. Chaudhary, S. Kumar, S. Langyan (eds), Maize: Nutrition Dynamics and Novel Uses (pp. 3–17). New Delhi: Springer.
- Christensen, D.L., van Hall, G., Hambraeus, L. (2002). Food and macronutrient intake of male adolescent Kalenjin runners in Kenya. British Journal of Nutrition, 88 (6), 711–717. DOI: 10.1079/BJN2002728.
- Coe, E.H. Jr., Nueffer, M.G., Hoisington, D.A. (1988). The genetics of maize. In: G.F. Sprague, J.W. Dudley (eds), Corn and corn improvement. Agronomy Monographs Vol. 18 (pp. 81–236). Madison, Wisconsin: American Society of Agronomy.
- Cole, K.J., Grandjean, P.W., Sobszak, R.J., Mitchell, J.B. (1993). Effect of carbohydrate-composition on fluid balance, gastric-emptying, and exercise performance. International Journal of Sport Nutrition, 3 (4), 408–417. DOI: 10.1123/ijsn.3.4.408.
- Del Castillo, V.C., Armada, M., Gottifredi, J.C. (1999). A supplementary sportmen food formulation and characterization. Archivos Latinoamericanos De Nutricion, 49 (1), 61–66.
- Duvick, S.A., Pollak, L.M., White, P.J. (2003). Altered fatty-acid, protein, oil, and starch corn lines and method for producing same. Patent Number: US6639132B1. Retrieved from: https://patents.google.com/patent (13.10.2019).
- Flynn, M.G., Costill, D.L., Hawley, J.A., Fink, W.J., Neufer, P.D., Fielding, R.A., Sleeper, M.D. (1987). Influence of selected carbohydrate drinks on cycling performance and glycogen use. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 19 (1), 37–40.
- Galinat, W.C. (1988). The origin of corn. In: G.F. Sprague, J.W. Dudley (eds), Corn and corn improvement. Agronomy Monographs Vol. 18 (pp. 1–31). Madison, Wisconsin: American Society of Agronomy.
- Hitchcock, A.S., Chase, A. (1971). Manual of the grasses of the United States. New York: Dover Publications.
- https://apps.webofknowledge.com (13.10.2019).
- https://patents.google.com/patent (13.10.2019).
- Johnson, J.J., Murray, R. (2010). Fructose, Exercise, and Health. Current Sports Medicine Reports, 9 (4), 253–258. DOI: 10.1249/JSR.0b013e3181e7def4.
- Kern, M., Lagomarcino, N.D., Misell, L.M., Schuster, V. (2000). The effect of medium-chain triacylglycerols on the blood lipid profile of male endurance runners. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 11 (5), 288–292.
- Klurfeld, D.M., Foreyt, J., Angelopoulos, T.J., Rippe, J.M. (2013). Lack of evidence for high fructose corn syrup as the cause of the obesity epidemic. International Journal of Obesity, 37 (6), 771–773. DOI: 10.1038/ijo.2012.157.
- Lopez-Martinez, L.X., Oliart-Ros, R.M., Valerio-Alfaro, G., Lee, C.H., Parkin, K.L., Garcia, H.S. (2009). Antioxidant activity, phenolic compounds and anthocyanins content of eighteen strains of Mexican maize. LWT – Food Science and Technology, 42, 1187–1192. DOI: 10.1016/j.lwt.2008.10.010.
- Mamo, M., Singh, P. (2018). Nutritional intake practices of Ethiopian runners. International Journal of Academic Research and Development, 3 (2), 1548–1551.
- Misell, L.M., Lagomarcino, N.D., Schuster, V., Kern, M. (2001). Chronic medium-chain triacylglycerol consumption and endurance performance in trained runners. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 41 (2), 210–215.
- Mitchell, J.B., Braun, W.A., Pizza, F.X., Forrest, M. (2000). Pre-exercise carbohydrate and fluid ingestion: Influence of glycemic response on 10-km treadmill running performance in the heat. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 40 (1), 41–50.
- Moher, D., Liberati, A., Tetzlaff, J., Altman, D.G., The PRISMA Group (2009). Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses: The PRISMA Statement. PLoS Med, 6 (7), e1000097. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pmed100009.
- Morrill, A.C., Chinn, C.D. (2004). The obesity epidemic in the United States. Journal of Public Health Policy, 25, 353–366. DOI: 10.1057/palgrave.jphp.3190035.
- Nuss, E.T., Tanumihardjo, S.A. (2010). Maize: A paramount staple crop in the context of global nutrition. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 9, 417–436. DOI: 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2010.00117.x.
- O’Connell, S.M., Woodman, R.J., Brown, I.L., Vincent, D.J., Binder, H.J., Ramakrishna, B.S., Young, G.P. (2018). Comparison of a sports hydration drink containing high amylose starch with usual hydration practice in Australian rules footballers during intense summer training. Journal of The International Society of Sports Nutrition, 15, Article Number 46. DOI: 10.1186/s12970-018-0253-8.
- Parks, R.B., Angus, H.F., King, D.S., Sharp, R.L. (2018). Effect of preexercise ingestion of modified amylomaize starch on glycemic response while cycling. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 28 (1), 82–89.
- Pérez, M.A.R., Andújar, A.J.C., Muñoz, C.S., Molina, J.J.M., Díaz, M.Z. (2012). Feeding habits of young international elite motorcyclists. Revista Internacional de Medicina y Ciencias de la Actividad Física y el Deporte, 12 (46), 195–207.
- Piperno, D.R. (2011). The Origins of Plant Cultivation and Domestication in the New World Tropics: Patterns, Process, and New Developments. Current Anthropology, 52 (S4): 453–S470. DOI: 10.1086/659998.
- Roberts, M.D., Lockwood, Ch., Dalbo, V.J., Volek, J., Kerksick, Ch.M. (2011). Ingestion of a high-molecular-weight hydrothermally modified waxy maize starch alters metabolic responses to prolonged exercise in trained cyclists. Nutrients, 27 (6), 659–665. DOI: 10.1016/j.nut.2010.07.008.
- Sandhu, K.S., Singh, N., Malhi, N.S. (2007). Some properties of corn grains and their flours I: Physicochemical, functional and chapatimaking properties of flours. Food Chemistry, 101, 938–946. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.02.040.
- Shah, T.R., Prasad, K., Kumar, P. (2016). Maize – A potential source of human nutrition and health: A review. Cogent Food & Agriculture, 2 (1), 1166995. DOI: 10.1080/23311932.2016.1166995.
- Shao, Q., Chin, K-V. (2011). Survey of American food trends and the growing obesity epidemic. Nutrition Research and Practice, 5 (3), 253–259. DOI: 10.4162/nrp.2011.5.3.253.
- Sheng, S., Li, T., Liu, R.H. (2018). Corn phytochemicals and their health benefits. Food Science and Human Wellness, 7 (3), 185–195. DOI: 10.1016/j.fshw.2018.09.003.
- Smith, W.C., Brown, J.A., Holt, S.K. (2010). Functional food paste. Patent Number: WO2010030944A2; EP2348891B1. Retrieved from: https://patents.google.com/patent (13.10.2019).
- Snyder, A.C., Schulz, L.O., Foster, C. (1989). Voluntary consumption of a carbohydrate supplement by elite speed skaters. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 89 (8), 1125–1127.
- Sorin, B.I. (2015). Study on the use of cereal and vegetable in the diet of athletes. Scientific Papers. Series D. Animal Science, 58, 97–99.
- Tang, X. (2019). Breathable antibacterial sport shoe, has warp yarn formed by chitosan fiber and copper ion fiber, weft yarn fixed with maize fiber and bamboo fiber, and sole formed with through hole from outer side to inner side along downwards direction. Patent Number: CN109393641-A. Retrieved from: https://apps.webofknowledge.com (13.10.2019).
- USDA (2009). World Agricultural Production. Foreign Agricultural Service/USDA Office of Global Analysis. Retrieved from: https://apps.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/circulars/production.pdf (13.10.2019).
- Wallis, G.A., Rowlands, D.S., Shaw, C., Jentjens, R.L.P.G., Jeukendrup, A.E. (2005). Oxidation of combined ingestion of maltodextrins and fructose during exercise. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 37 (3), 426–432.
- Wildman, R., Kerksick, C., Campbell, B. (2010). Carbohydrates, Physical Training, and Sport Performance. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 32 (1), 21–29. DOI: 10.1519/SSC.0b013e3181bdb161.
- Yongfeng, A., Jaylin, J. (2016). Macronutrients in Corn and Human Nutrition. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 15 (3), 581–598. DOI: 10.1111/1541-4337.12192.
Publication order reference