Biological Approach for the Synthesis and Characterization of Zinc Oxide Nanopaticles from Croton bonplandianum Baill. Extracts
Languages of publication
The biogenesis of nanoparticles recently gained more attention. Here, we report the biogenesis of zinc oxide (ZnO) nanoparticles using aqueous extracts of the leaves, stem, root, flowers and fruits of Croton bonplandianum Baill. at room temperature. Croton bonplandianum is an important medicinal plant used to cure many pathological conditions in the traditional systems of Indian medicines due to the presence of important and specific bioactive compounds in the plant parts of this plant. Aqueous solution of Zinc Nitrate hexahydrate [Zn(NO3)2·6H2O] was used as a precursor and the various plant extracts played as reducing agents. The formation of ZnO nanoparticles was monitored by UV-Visible spectrophotometric analysis. The leaf extract showed strong absorbance peak at 302 nm, stem and fruit at 293 nm, root at 290 nm and flowers at 305 nm.
-  Nel AE, Mädler L, Velegol D, Xia T, Hoek EMV, Somasundaran PI, Klaessig F, Castranova, Thompson VM. Understanding bio-physicochemical interactions at the nano-bio interface. Nature Materials 8 (2009) 543-557.
-  Firdhouse JM, Lalitha P, Vennila P. Biogenic synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles. International Journal of Extensive Research 2 (2015) 12-20.
-  Meruvu H, Vangalapati M, Chippada SC, Bammidi SR. Synthesis and characterization of zinc oxide nanoparticles and its antimicrobial activity against Bacillus subtilis and Escherichia coli. Rasayan Journal of Chemistry 4 (2011) 217-222.
-  Kulkarni N, Muddapur U. Biosynthesis of metal nanoparticles: A review. Journal of Nanotechnology (2014) http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/510246.
-  Patel RK, Vivekanandhan S, Misra M, Mohanty AK, Satyanarayana N. Soybean (Glycine max) leaf extract based green synthesis of Palladium nanoparticles. Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology 3 (2012) 14-19.
-  Shekhawat MS, Anusuya P, Kannan N, Manokari M, Revathi J, Ilavarasi V. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Couroupita guianensis Aubl. and their characterization. International Journal of Green and Herbal Chemistry 2 (2013) 1041-1049.
-  Ankamwar B. Biosynthesis of gold nanoparticles (green-gold) using leaf extract of Terminalia catappa. E-Journal of Chemistry 7 (2011) 1334-1339.
-  Herrera-Becerra R, Zorrilla C, Rius JL, Ascencio A. Electron microscopy characterization of biosynthesized iron oxide nanoparticles. Applied Physics A 9 (2008) 241–246.
-  Shekhawat MS, Ravindran CP, Manokari M. Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles from Passiflora foetida L. extracts and their characterization. International Journal of Green and Herbal Chemistry 3 (2014 a) 518-523.
-  Savithramma N, Rao ML, Basha SKM. Antifungal efficacy of silver nanoparticles synthesized from the medicinal plants. Der Pharma Chemica 3 (2011) 364-372.
-  Li S, Shen Y, Xie A, Yu X, Qiu L, Zhang L, Zhang Q. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Capsicum annum L. extract. Green Chemistry 9 (2007) 852–858.
-  Armendariz V, Gardea- Torresdey JL, Herrera I, Jose-Yacaman M, Peralta-Videa JR, Santigo P. Size controlled gold nanoparticle formation by Avena sativa biomass: use of plants in nanobiotechnology. Journal of Nanoparticle Research 6 (2004) 377–382.
-  Satishkumar M, Sneha K,Won SW, Cho CW, Kim S, Yun YS. Cinnamon zeylanicum bark extract and powder mediated green synthesis of nano-crystalline silver particles and its bactericidal activity. Colloids Surface B. Biointerfaces 73 (2009) 332–338.
-  Bar H, Bhui DK, Sahoo GP, Sarkar P, De SP, Misra A. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using latex of Jatropha curcas. Colloids Surface A. Physicochemical Engineering Aspects 339 (2009) 134–139.
-  Mude N, Ingle A, Gade A, Rai M. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by the callus extract of Carica papaya: a first report. Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology 18 (2009) 83–86.
-  Reddy KR. Folk medicines from Chittor District, Andhra Pradesh, used in treatment of jaundice. Pharmaceutical Biology 26 (1995) 137-140.
-  Bhakat RK, Sen UK. Ethnomedicinal plant conservation through sacred groves. Tribes and Tribals 2 (2008) 55-58.
-  Asthana A, Mall HV, Dixit K, Gupta S. Fungistatic properties of latex of plants with special reference to that of Croton bonplandianum. Crude Drug Research 27 (1989) 25-28.
-  Chandel KPS, Shukla G, Sharma N. Biodiversity in Medicinal and Aromatic Plants in India. National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, New Delhi (1996).
-  Bapuji WJ, Ratnam VS. Ethnobotany leaflets 13 (2009) 388-389.
-  Singh NK, Ghosh A, Laloo D, Singh VP. Pharmacognostical and physicochemical evaluation of Croton bonplandianum. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 6 (2014) 286-290.
-  Phillipson JD. A matter of some sensitivity. Phytochemistry 38 (1995) 1319-1343.
-  Jeeshna MC, Paulsamy S, Mallikadevi T. Phytochemical constituents and antimicrobial studies of the exotic plant species, Croton bonplandianum Baill. Journal of Life Science 3 (2011) 23-27.
-  Islam MS, Rahman MM, Rahman MA, Qayum MA, Alam MF. In vitro evaluation of Croton bonplandianum Baill. as potential antitumor properties using Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Journal of Agriculture and Technology 6 (2010) 79-86.
-  Singh RP, Shukla VK, Yadav RS, Sharma PK, Singh PK, Pandey AC. Biological approach of zinc oxide nanoparticles formation and its characterization. Advanced Materials Letters 2 (2011) 313-317.
-  Gnanasangeetha D, Thambavani SD. One pot synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles via chemical and green method. Research Journal of Material Sciences 1 (2013) 1-8.
-  Vidya C, Hiremath S, Chandraprabha MN, Antonyraj MA, Gopal IV, Jain A, Bansal K. Green synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles by Calotropis gigantea. International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology (2013) S118-S120.
-  Gamble JS. Flora of Presidency of Madras. Botanical survey of India, Culcutta, India (1957).
-  Shekhawat MS, Ravindran CP, Manokari M. A biomimetic approach towards synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles using Hybanthus enneaspermus (L.) F. Muell. Tropical Plant Research 1 (2014 b) 55-59.
-  Shekhawat MS, Ravindran CP, Manokari M. A green approach to synthesize zinc oxide nanoparticles using aqueous extracts of Ficus benghalensis L. International Journal of BioSciences, Agriculture and Technology 6 (2015) 1-5.
-  Kannan N, Subbalaxmi S. Biogenesis of nanoparticles – A current perspective. Reviews on Advanced Materials Science 27 (2011) 99-114.
-  Sabir S, Arshad M, Chaudhari SK. Zinc oxide nanoparticles for revolutionizing agriculture: Synthesis and applications. The Scientific World Journal. 10 (2014) 1-8.
-  Mittal AK, Chisti Y, Banerjee UC. Synthesis of metallic nanoparticles using plant extracts. Biotechnology Advances 31 (2013) 346-356.
Publication order reference