Biosynthesis, characterisation, free radical scavenging activity and anti-bacterial effect of plant-mediated zinc oxide nanoparticles using Pithecellobium dulce and Lagenaria siceraria Leaf Extract
Languages of publication
The study involved synthesis of Zinc Oxide nanoparticles using biological and chemical reducing agents. The aim was to compare the yield, nature and antimicrobial activity of nanoparticles. Nanoparticles synthesized by the two methods were characterized by FTIR Spectroscopy, Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), Energy Dispersive Xray (EDAX), Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM) and X-ray diffraction (XRD). In biological method, Pithecellobium dulce and Lagenaria siceraria leaf extract; and in chemical method, sodium hydroxide was used as reducing agents. Antibacterial study was carried out on gram-positive and gram negative bacterial strains by disc diffusion method. The biologically synthesized ZnO Nanoparticles showed better antimicrobial activities with respect to the activities of synthetic drugs than chemical method. Antioxidant potential of synthesized nanoparticles was assessed through 2,2–diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) method.
-  Gopalakrishnan, K.; Ramesh, C.; Ragunathan, V.; Thamilselvan, M. Antibacterial activity of Cu2O nanoparticles on E.coli synthesized from tridax procumbens leaf extract and surface coating with polyaniline. Dig. J. Nanomater. Biostructure 7 (2012) 833-839.
-  Susan Azizi et al, Biosynthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Brown Marine Macroalga, Sargassum Muticum Aqueous Extract, Materials 6 (2013) 5942-5950.
-  Mahdavi, M.; Namvar, F.; Ahmad, M.B.; Mohamad, R. Green biosynthesis and characterization of magnetic iron oxide (Fe3O4) nanoparticles using seaweed (Sargassum muticum) aqueous extract. Molecules 18 (2013) 5954-5964.
-  G. Bhumi et al, Screening of zinc oxide nanoparticles for cell proliferation synthesized through Adhatoda vasica nees., Int. J. Drug Dev. & Res. 6(2) (2014) 97-104.
-  Maensiri .S, Loakul P., Klinkaewnarong, Phokha S., Promarak V., Seraphin S., Indium Oxide nanoparticles using Aloe vera plant extract: synthesis and optical properties, Journal of optioelectronics and advanced materials 10 (2008) 161-165.
-  Behera J. L. (2009). Synthesis and Characterization of ZnO nanoparticles: 1-5.
-  Shoeb M, Braj RS, Javed AK, Wasi K, Brahma NS, et al. (2013) ROS dependent anticandidal activity of zinc oxide nanoparticles synthesized by using egg albumen as a biotemplate. Adv Nat Sci Nanosci Nanotechnol 4: 035015
-  Zhang J., Sun L, Yin J, SuH, Ch Liao, Yan Ch., Control of ZnO morphologyviaa simple solutionroute. Chem Mater 2002; 14: 4172-7.
-  K Halil M M H., Is Mail E.H., El-M Agdoub. F. Bios ynth es is of Au nanoparticles using olive leaf extract. Arab. J. Chem. 2010
-  Sadasivaiah, B., K. Prasad, V.S. Rao & B.R.P. Rao (2009). Habenaria panigrahiana S. Misra - a new distributional record to Andhra Pradesh, India. The Journal of the Swamy Botanical Club 26: 1-2.
-  Sharma PV, Classical uses of medicinal plants, 1st ed. Varanasi, India. Chaukhambha Visvabharati; 1996; PP 304-3.
-  Sugumaran, M.; Vetrichelvan, T.; Quine, S. D. Locomotor activity of leaf extracts of Pithecellobium dulce Benth. Ethanobotanical Leaflet 2008, 12, 490-493.
-  Mohammed, S.; Kasera, P. K.; Shukla, J. K. Exploited plants of potential medicinal value from the Indian Thar desert. Natural Product Radiance 2004, 3, 69-74.
-  H.X. Wang, T.B. Ng, Life Sciences 67 (2000) 2631-2638.
-  B. Anandh, A. Muthuvel, M. Emayavaramban, Bio synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using Lagenaria siceraria leaf extract and their antibacterial activity., International Letters of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy 19(1) (2014) 35-45
-  H.W. Seely and P. J. Van Demark., A Laboratory Manual of Microbiology, Taraporewala Sons and Co., Mumbai, 55 (1975).
-  L. Barry., The antimicrobial susceptibility test. Principle and Practice, Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, 180 (1976).
-  Blois, M.S., 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature, 29: 1199-1200.
-  Akl M Awwad1, Nida M Salem, Amany O Abdeen. Biosynthesis of Silver Nanoparticles using Olea europaea Leaves Extract and its Antibacterial Activity. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2012, 2(6): 164-170
Publication order reference