Using multimedia in the English language classroom
Languages of publication
The topic of the MA dissertation embraces the field of computer mediated language learning applied in the English classroom. The author’s goal is to discover the effects of the multimedia use in foreign language teaching. The background of computer enhanced language learning has been developing dynamically for the last decades and numerous technological possibilities have been introduced that influence the learning process. Having analysed the history of technology enhanced classroom thoroughly it is obvious that multimedia offers numerous opportunities for learners of foreign languages regardless of their age, learning styles, the level of difficulty. Owing to the thorough literature review it became possible to learn about and understand the use of multimedia tools as well as their implications for its future. The dissertation is divided into four parts, three of which present theory regarding Computer Assisted Language Learning based on professional and scientific literature review, one chapter is empirical, devoted to the conducted survey.
-  Anderson, S.J. (1976, October) TICCIT Project. Paper presented at the National Association of Educational Broadcasters, Chicago, Illinois. ERIC Document No. ED134226. Retrived from www.eric.ed.gov/.
-  Arneil, S., Holmes, M. (1998-2009) Hot Potatoes. Victoria, British Columbia: Inivercity of Victoria and Half-Baked Software, Inc.
-  Bahadorfar, M. (2013) "The Impact of Computer-Assisted Language Learning in Teaching Vocabulary." Academic Journal 13, 1: 249.
-  Balacheff, N., Ludvigsen, S., de Jong, T., Lazomder, A., Barnes, S. (Eds.) (2009) Technology-Enhanced-Learning. Principles and Products. Springer, Netherlands.
-  Blake, R. J. (2008). Brave New Digital Classroom: Technology and Foreign Language Learning. Georgetown University Press, Washington, D.C.
-  Bozarth, J. (2008) Better Than Bullet Points: Creating Engaging E-learning with PowerPoint. Published by Pfeiffer. San Francisco, CA.
-  Bradin, Claire (1999) "Review of Oral Language Archieve. Language Learning and Technology." Volume 2(2): 16-22.
-  Cameron, K. (1999a) CALL: media, design and applications.Lisse: Swets and Zeitlinger.
-  Cameron, K. (1999b) CALL and the Learning Community. ELlm Bank Publications, the UK.
-  Chan, W., Chin, K., Nagami, M., Suthiwan, T. (Eds.) (2011) Media in Foreign Language Teaching and Learning. Studies in Second and Foreign Language Education 5. Boston: De Gruyter Mouton.
-  Coyle, Y., Yanez, L., Verdu, M. (2010) “The impact of the interactive whiteboard on the teacher and children's language use in an ESL immersion classroom.” Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology 38,4: 614-625. www.sciencedirect.com.
-  Davis, A., Elder, C., Gruba, P. (Eds.) 2008.The Handbook of Applied Linguistics. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
-  Davies, G., Steel, D. (1981) “First steps in computer-assisted language learning at Ealing College of Higher Education. Paper presented at the CAL 81 Symposium, University of Leeds”. Retrived from www.ict4lt.org/en/Davis_Steel_1981.doc.
-  Dudney, G., Hockly, N. (2007) How to teach English with technology. Pearson Education Limited, Malaysia.
-  Dudney, G. (2007) The Internet and the Language Classroom. A practical guide for teachers. Cambridge University Press, the UK.
-  Feustle, J. A. (1987) "Juegos Comunicativos" Hispania. Volume 70 (3), 708-710.
-  Gilakjani, A. (2012) “A Study on the Impact of Using Multimedia to Imporve the Quality of English Language Teaching.” Journal of Language Teaching and Research. 3,6: 1208-1215. http://ojs.academypublisher.com/index.php/jltr/article/view/jltr030612081215/5753.
-  Gonglewski, M., Christine, M., Brant, J. (2001) "Using E-mail in Foreign Language Teaching: Rationale and Suggestions." The Internet RESL Journal. Volume 7(3). http://iteslj.org/Techniques/Meloni-Email.html.
-  Guan, X. (2013) "A Study on the Application of Data-driven Learning in Vocabulary Teaching and Learning in China's EFL Class". Journal of Language Teaching and Research. Volume 4(1), 105-112.
-  Hall, I., Higgins, S. (2005) “Primary school students’ perceptions of interactive whiteboards.” Journal of Computer Assisted Learning 21, 2: 102-117.
-  Hart, R. S. (1995). “The Illinois PLATO foreign languages project. In R. Sanders (Ed.) (1995), Thisty years of computer-assisted language instruction”; Festschrift for John R. Russell, CALICO Journal, 12(4), 15-37.
-  Ingraham, B, Chanier, T., Emery, Ch. (1994) “Language training for various purposes in several languages on a common hypermedia framework. Computers and Education, Elsevier.” Selected papers from Eurocall 1993, 23 (1-2): 107-115.
-  Jones, Randall L. (1995) "TICCIT and CLIPS: The early years." CALICO Journal 12 (4).
-  Last, R. (1984) Language teaching and the microcomputer. Oxford: Blackwell.
-  Levy, M. (1997) Computer-assisted language learning: context and contextualisation. Oxford: Oxford University Press, New York.
-  Levy, M., Hubbard, P. (eds.) (2006) Teacher Education in CALL. John Benjamins Publishing Company. Amsterdam / Philadelphia.
-  Marczak, M. (2013) Communication and Information Technologz in (Intercultural) Language Teaching. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 12 Back Chapman Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 2XX, UK.
-  Markus, K. (2003) “Negotiation of meaning and codeswitching in online tandems. (International Tandem Network).” Language, Learning and Technology, May, Volume 7(2): 145.
-  Mayer, R. (ed.) (2010) The Cambridge handbook of Multimedia Learning. Cambridge University Press. University of California, Santa Barbara.
-  Olsen, S. (1980) “Foreign language departments and computer-assisted instruction: A survey”, The modern Language Journal, 64(3), 341-9.
-  O'Reily, T. (2005) What is Web 2.0? Design patterns and business models for the next generation of software. Retrived from http://oreilly.com/web2/archive/what-is-web-20.html.
-  Otto, S., Pusack, J. (2009) Computer-assisted language learning authoring issues. The Modern Language Journal, 93, 784-801.
-  Patel, Ch. (2013) "Use of Multimedia Technology in Teaching and Learning communication skill: An Analysis." International Journal of Advancements in Research and Technology 2,7: 116-123.
-  Payne, G., Payne, J. (2004) Key Concepts in Social Research. Newcastle University, UK.
-  Pun, M. (2013) “The Use of Multimedia Technology in English Language Teaching: A Global Perspective.” Crossing the Border: International Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies. 1, 1: 29-38.
-  Pusack, J., Otto, S. (1983- 2010) Dasher authoring system and WebDasher. University of Iowa: CONDUIT and PICS.
-  Rajabi, S., Ketabi, S. (2012) "Enhancing Student's Use of Cohesive Devices: Impacts of PowerPoint Presentations on EFL Academic Writing" Jouranal of Language Teaching and Research.3,6:1135-1143.
-  Thomas, M. (Ed.) (2009) Web 2.0 and Second Language Learning. Hanbook of Research. Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data, the USA and the UK.
-  Thomas, M., Hayo, R., Warschauer, M. (2013) Contemporary Computer-Assisted Language Learning. Newgen Imaging Systems Pvt Ltd, Chennal, India. Great Britain.
-  Sanders, R. H., Sanders, A. F. (1995) "History of an AI spy game: Spion." CALICO Journal, 12(4), 114-27.
-  Shetzer, H., Warschauer, M. (2000) An electronic literacy approach to network-based language teaching. In M. Warschauer and R.Kern (Eds.), Network based language teaching: Concepts and practice (pp.171-185). New York: Cambridge University Press.
-  Stanley, G. (2013) Language Learning with Technology. Ideas for integrating technology in the classroom. Cambridge Handbooks for Language Teachers. Cambridge University Press, the UK.
-  Stockwell, G. (2012) Computer-Assisted Language Learning. Diversity in Research and Practice. Cambridge University Press, New-York.
-  Svensson, P.(2003) Virtual word as arenas for language learning. In U. Felix (ed.) Language Learning Online: Towards Best Practice (pp.123-142). Lisse, the Netherdlands: Swets and Zeitlinger.
-  Taylor, H. (1987) TUCO II. New York: Gessler Educational Software. Based on earlier programs developed by H. Taylor and W. Haas at Ohio State University in the 1970s: DECU (Deutscher Computerunterricht) and TUCO (Tutorial Computer).
-  Warschauer, M (1996) “Computer-assisted language learning: An introduction. In S. Fotos (Ed.).” Multimedia language teaching (pp. 3-20). Tokyo: Logos International. http://fis.ucalgary.ca/Brian/BibWarschauer.html.
-  Wildner-Bassett, M. Interpersonal and intercultural understanding in a blended second culture classroom. University of Arizona.
-  Williams, A., Davies, G., Williams, I. (1981) Apfeldeutsch. London: Wida Software.
-  Zhang, F., Barber, B. (2008) Handbook of research on Computer-Enhanced Language Acquisition and Learning. Information Science Reference, Hershey, New York.
-  Blackboard Learn Release 9.1.-Glossary. 2011. 2016-01-08 (last access). http://library.blackboard.com/ref/af0b9ce2-a44e-4bf9-a3e0-e54102fa592f/Content/Print_Output/Blackboard_Learn_91_Glossary.pdf
-  Blackboard, Discussion Boards and Wikis 2016-01-05 (last access) http://www.etskb-fac.cidde.pitt.edu/blackboard/discussions/
-  Data-Driven Learning (DDL): the idea by Bernd Ruschoff. 2016-01-08 (last access). http://archive.ecml.at/projects/voll/rationale_and_help/booklets/resources/menu_booklet_ddl.htm
-  Lin, Nan-Torng Nathan (2009) "The Change of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Its Teaching Approaches" Tainan University of Technology. file:///C:/Users/KAMILA/Downloads/EvolutionCALL.pdf
-  http://www.teachict.com/as_a2_ict_new/ocr/AS_G061/316_present_communicate_data/presentation_features/miniweb/pg8.htm, 2016-01-05 (last access)
-  http://opencourses.uoa.gr/courses/ENL10/, 2016-01-05 (last access)
Publication order reference