Spectral Analysis and Euler Deconvolution of Regional Aeromagnetic Data to Delineate Sedimentary Thickness in Mmaku Area, South Eastern Nigeria
Languages of publication
Quantitative analysis/interpretation was undetaken on an aeromagnetic data covering latitude 6°00’-6°30’N and longitude 7°00’-7°30’E of Mmaku area, South Eastern, Nigeria by means of spectral depth analysis and Euler Deconvolution. To determine the sedimentary thickness or the depth to basement peculiar within the area, regional-residual separation was applied on the total aeromagnetic data. The resulting residual was divided into overlapping sixteen (16) spectral grids using Ms Excel. This was saved in Comma Separated Variable (CSV) format and thus imported into Origin Pro software where Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) or spectral analysis was performed on the windowed or gridded residual. The residual data was also imported into Oasis Montaj software for Standard 3D Euler Deconvolution. The result of the spectral analysis shows that the depth to various causative sources vary from 3.472 km to 6.972 km for the deeper sources, with average thickness of 5.010 km and 1.177 km to 1.834 km for the shallower sources, with average value of 1.047 km. From the Euler depth solutions, depth values ranging from 1525.74 km to 2919.21 km was revealed using structural index (SI) of 1 while depth values of 2290.49 km to 4447.62 km and 925. 93 km to 5790.49 km was observed when SI of 2 and 3 respectively were chosen. This study presents, therefore, suitable sedimentary thickness for hydrocarbon exploration to exist within the area.
-  Nadiah, H.S., Umar, H., Abdul, R.S. and Azmi, I. (2016) Basement depth estimation of Cheshire Basin in Northwest England By Power Spectrum Analysis of Gravity data. EJGE, Vol. 21, 395-408.
-  Obiora, D.N., Mirianrita, N. O. and Emmanuel O. (2015): A case study of aeromagnetic data interpretation of Nsukka area, Enugu State, Nigeria, for hydrocarbon exploration. International Journal of Physical Sciences 10(17), 503-519.
-  Ofoegbu, C.O. (1984). Interpretation of aeromagnetic anomalies over the lower and middle Benue Trough of Nigeria. Geophys. J. R. Astr. Soc. 79: 813‒823.
-  Okeke, F.N. (1992). Comparison of graphical methods of interpretation based on the interpretation of aeromagnetic anomaly profile across the Benue Trough. Nig. J. Phys. 4: 103-113.
-  Onwuemesi, A.G (1997): One dimensional spectral analysis of aeromagnetic anomalies and curie depth isotherm in Anambra Basin of Nigeria. J. Geodynamics 23(2): 95-107.
-  Ugbor, D.O and Okeke, F.N. (2010). Geophysical investigation in the lower Benue Trough of Nigeria, using gravity method. Int. J. Phys. Sci. 5(11): 1757–1769.
-  Onu, N.N., Opara A.I and Oparaku O.I. (2011). Geological interpretation of the aeromagnetic data over the lower Benue Troughand some adjoining area. 47th Annual International Conference of Nigerian Mining and Geoscience Society (NMGS), Programmes and Book of Abstracts. 43.
-  Onuba, L.N. Audu G.K. Chiaghanam O.I and Anakwuba E.K. (2011): Evaluation of aeromagnetic anomalies over Okigwe area, Southern Nigeria. Res. J. Environ. Earth Sci. 3(5):498‒507.
-  Ugwu, G.Z and Ezema, P.O. (2012). Forward and inverse modeling of aeromagnetic anomalies over Abakaliki and Nkalagu areas of the Lower Benue Trough, Nigeria. Int. Res. J. Geol. Mining 2(8):222–229.
-  Igwesi I.D, Umego N.M. (2013). Interpretation of aeromagnetic anomalies over some parts of lower Benue Trough using spectral analysis technique. Int. J. Sci. Technol. Res. 2(8): 153–165.
-  Murat, R.C. (1972). Stratigraphy and paleogeography of the Cretaceous and lower Tertiary in southern Nigeria. In Dessauvagie, T.F.J and Whiteman, A. J., (Eds.), African Geology. University of Ibadan Press 251-266.
-  Ojoh, k., 1990. Cretaceous geodynamic evolution of the equatorial domain South Atlantic; stratigraphy, basin analysis and paelogeography. Bulletin, Centre Research, exploration and production. ELF-Aquitaine, 14, 419-442.
-  Reyment, R.A., (1965). Aspects of the Geology of Nigeria: the stratigraphy of the Cretaceous and Cenozoic Deposits. University of Ibadan Press, 145.
-  Nwozor, K.K., Chiaghanam, O.I., Egbuachor, C.J. and Onyekuru, S.O., (2012). Surfaface Geophysics Character of Maastrichtian - Danian Sediments in parts in of Udi-Ezeagu Area, Southern Anambra Basin, Nigeria. Archives of Applied Science Research, 4 (4): 1609-1617.
-  Spector, A., and Grant, F. S., (1970). Statistical models for interpreting aeromagnetic data. Geophysics, v. 35, 293-302.
-  Ofoegbu, C. O., and Onuoha, K. M., (1991). Analysis of magnetic data over the Abakaliki Anticlinorium of the Lower Benue Trough, Nigeria. Marine and Petr. Geol. vol. 8.
-  Wright, J.B., Hastings, D.A., Jones, W.B. and Williams, H.R. (1985): Geology and Mineral Resources of West Africa, George Allen and Urwin, London, 90-120.
Publication order reference