Analytical investigation of heat transfer in a moving convective porous fin with temperature dependent thermal conductivity and internal heat generation
Languages of publication
In the present study, thermal performance of a rectangular moving porous fin with temperature dependent thermal conductivity and internal heat generation are analyzed the differential transformation method. The developed approximate analytical solutions are used to investigate the effects of thermal –geometric and thermo-physical fin parameters such as the Peclet number, thermal conductivity parameter, convection parameter, porosity parameter, Internal heat generation parameter on the dimensionless temperature distribution and heat transfer rate are discussed. From the results, it is found that increase in porosity and convective parameters, the rate of heat transfer from the fin increases and consequently improve the efficiency of the fin. Also, the values of the temperature distribution in the fin increases as the Peclet number increases. However, as thermal conductivity and the internal heat generation increase, the rate of heat transfer from the fin decreases. The analytical solution is found to be in good agreement with the direct numerical solution.
-  Kraus AD, Aziz A, Welty J. Extended surface heat transfer. Wiley; 2001.
-  M.G. Sobamowo. Thermal analysis of longitudinal fin with temperature-dependent properties and internal heat generation using Galerkin’s method of Weighted Residual. Applied Thermal Engineering, 99, 2016, 1316-1330
-  Chiu CH, Chen CK. A decomposition method for solving the convective longitudinal fins with variable thermal conductivity. Int J Heat Mass Transf 2002; 45: 2067-2075
-  Arslanturk C. A decomposition method for fin efficiency of convective straight fins with temperature-dependent thermal conductivity. Int Commun Heat Mass Transf 2005; 32: 831-841
-  Rajabi A. Homotopy perturbation method for fin efficiency of convective straight fins with temperature-dependent thermal conductivity. Phys Lett A 2007; 364: 33-37.
-  Domairry G, Fazeli M. Homotopy analysis method to determine the fin efficiency of convective straight fins with temperature-dependent thermal conductivity. Commun Nonlinear Sci Numer Simul 2009; 14: 489-499
-  Kulkarni DB, Joglekar MM. Residue minimization technique to analyze the efficiency of convective straight fins having temperature-dependent thermal conductivity. Appl Math Comput 2009; 215: 2184-2191
-  Bouaziz MN, Aziz A. Simple and accurate solution for convective-radiative fin with temperature dependent thermal conductivity using double optimal linearization. Energ Convers Manage 2010; 51: 2276-2782
-  . Ranjan D. A simplex search method for a conductive-convective fin with variable conductivity. Int J Heat Mass Transf 2011; 54: 5001-5009
-  Aziz A, Khani F. Convection-radiation from a continuous moving fin of variable thermal conductivity. J Franklin Inst 2011; 348: 640-651
-  Aziz A, Lopez RJ. Convection-radiation from a continuously moving, variable thermal conductivity sheet or rod undergoing thermal processing. Int J Therm Sci 2011; 50: 1523-1531.
-  Torabi M, Yaghoobi H, Aziz A. Analytical solution for convective-radiative continuously moving fin with temperature-dependent thermal conductivity. Int J Thermophys 2012; 33: 924-941
-  A.S.V. Ravi Kanth and N. Uday Kumar. Application of the Haar Wavelet Method on a Continuously Moving Convective-Radiative Fin with Variable Thermal Conductivity. Heat Transfer Volume 42, Issue 4 June 2013, Pages 335-351. DOI: 10.1002/htj.21038
-  Sharqawy MH, Zubair SM. Efficiency and optimization of straight fins with combined heat and mass transfer - an analytical solution. Appl Therm Eng 2008; 28: 2279-2288
-  Fouladi F, Hosseinzadeh E, Barari A, Domairry G. Highly nonlinear temperature-dependent fin analysis by variational iteration method. Heat Transf Res 2010; 41: 155-165
-  Malekzadeh P, Rahideh H, Karami G. Optimization of convective-radiative fins by using differential quadrature method. Energy Convers Manag 2006; 47: 1505-1514
-  Kundu B, Aziz A. Performance of a convectively heated rectangular fin with a step change in cross-sectional area and losing heat by simultaneous convection and radiation (step fins under radiation environment). J Heat Transf 2010; 132: 104502-1
-  Ya-song Sun, Jing Ma. (2015). Application of Collocation Spectral Method to Solve a Convective – Radiative Longitudinal Fin with Temperature Dependent Internal Heat Generation, Thermal Conductivity and Heat Transfer Coefficient. Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nano-science, volume12, 2851- 2860.
-  Mohsen Torabi, A. Aziz. (2012). Thermal performance and efficiency of convective– radiative T-shaped fins with temperature dependent thermal conductivity, heat transfer coefficient and surface emissivity, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, volume 39, pp.1018–1029.
-  Darvishi M.T., Gorla R.S.R, Kani F. (2013). Natural Convection and Radiation in Porous Fins, International Journal for Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow, volume 23, pp.1406-1420.
-  Abdelhalim E. (2013). On A New Differential Transformation Method for Solving Nonlinear Differential Equation. Asian-European Journal of Mathematics Vol. 06, No. 04, 1350057. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1793557113500575
-  Maheria, M. G. (2010). Thermal Analysis of Natural Convection and Radiation in Porous Fins, ETD Archive. Paper 447.
-  Prasad B.S. (1997). Fin Efficiency and Mechanisms of heat exchange through fins in multi-stream plate-fin heat exchanger: development and application of a rating algorithm, International Journal of Heat Transfer, volume 40, pp. 4279-4288.
-  Singla R.K. and Ranjan D. (2014). Application of decomposition method and inverse parameters in a moving fin. Energy Conversion and Management, volume 84, 268-281
-  J.K Zhou, Differential Transformation method and its Application for electrical circuits. Hauzhang University Press, Wuham, China, 1986.
-  Moradi, A., Rafiee, R. (2013). Analytical Solution to Convection-Radiation of a Continuously Moving Fin with Temperature-Dependent thermal conductivity. Thermal Science, volume 17, pp. 1049-1060.
-  Dogonchi A.S, Ganji D.D. Convection-Radiation heat transfer study of moving fin with temperature dependent thermal conductivity, heat transfer coefficient and heat generation. Applied Thermal Engineering, 103 (2016) 705-712
-  A. A. Joneidi, D.D. Ganji, M. Babaelahi. (2009). Differential Transformation Method to determine fin efficiency of convective straight fins with temperature dependent thermal conductivity. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 36, 757-762
Publication order reference