SURFACE PROPERTIES OF CHITOSAN COMPOSITES WITH POLY(VINYL ALCOHOL) AND HYDROXYAPATITE
Languages of publication
Surface properties of composites containing chitosan (Ch), poly(vinyl alcohol) (PVA) with hydroxyapatite (HAP) were investigated by contact angle measurements and atomic force microscopy (AFM). Thin films of Ch/HAP and Ch/PVA/HAP composites have been formed by casting methods from acetic acid solutions. Measurements of the contact angle for diiodomethane (D), and glycerol (G) on the surface of chitosan films, Ch/HAP and chitosan/PVA/HAP films were made and surface free energy was calculated. It was found that chitosan/HAP or Ch/PVA/HAP blend surface is enriched in high surface energy component i.e. chitosan. The study of composites by AFM showed a completely different morphology when compared with unmodified components. The roughness of composites increase after the addition of hydroxyapatite. This may indicates a strong interaction between the polymeric components and inorganic additive.
- 1. Rinaudo M.; (2008) Review Main properties and current applications of some polysaccharides as biomaterials, Polym Int 57, 397-430.
- 2. Sionkowska A.; (2011) Current research on the blends of natural and synthetic polymers: Review, Prog Polym Sci 36, 1254-1276.
- 3. Dutta P.K., Dutta J., Tripath V.S.; (2004) Chitin and chitosan: Chemistry, properties and applications, J Sci Ind Res 63, 20-31.
- 4. Lewandowska K.; (2012) Surface studies of microcrystalline chitosan/poly(vinyl alcohol) mixtures, Appl Surf Sci 263, 115-123.DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2012.09.011
- 5. Chen F., Wang Z.C., Lin C.J.; (2002) Preparation and characterization of nano-sized hydroxyapatite particles and hydroxyapatite/chitosan nano-composite for use in biomedical materials, Mater Lett 57, 858-861.
- 6. Darder M., Colilla M., Ruiz-Hitzky E.; (2003) Biopolymer – clay nanocomposites based on chitosan intercalated in montmorillonite, Chem Mater 15, 3774-3780. DOI: 10.1021/cm0343047
- 7. Xu Y., Ren X., Hanna M.A.; (2006) Chitosan/clay nanocomposite film preparation and characterization. J Appl Polym Sci 99, 1684-1691.
- 8. Chivrac F., Pollet E., Avérous L.; (2009) Progress in nano-biocomposites based on polysaccharides and nanoclays. Mater Sci. Eng. R 67, 1-17.
- 9. Sahoo D., Naya P.L.; (2012) Synthesis and characterization of chitosan/cloisite 30B film for controlled release of ofloxacin, J Appl Polym Sci 123, 2588-2594. DOI: 10.1002/app.34595
- 10. Lewandowska K.; (2013) Viscometric studies in dilute solution mixtures of chitosan and microcrystalline chitosan with poly(vinyl alcohol), J Solution Chem 42, 1654-1662. DOI: 10.1007/s10953-013-0053-3
- 11. Lewandowska K.; (2014) Characterization of thin chitosan/polyacrylamide blend films, Mol Cryst Liq Cryst 590, 186-192. DOI: 10.1080/15421406.2013.874233
- 12. Rudawska A., Jacniawska E.; (2009) Analysis for determining surface free energy uncertainty by the Owen–Wendt method. Int. Journal of Adhesion & Adhesives, 29, 451-457. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2008.09.008
- 13. Owens D.K., Wendt R.C.; (1969) Estimation of the surface free energy of polymers, J Appl Polym Sci 13, 1741-1747. DOI: 10.1002/app.1969.070130815
Publication order reference