Engineering Geological Properties of Coastal Plain Sands in Selected Areas in Ikoyi Area, a typical Coastal Sedimentary Terrain
Languages of publication
Coastal plain sands in some selected areas of Ikoyi, in Lagos, Dahomey basin southwestern Nigeria have been investigated with respect to their geotechnical properties to determine their suitability as construction materials and to recommend suitable foundation type for the proposed developments. Representative samples collected from each sites were subjected to standard engineering tests and CPT method was used for calculating the bearing capacity of the soil. The cone resistance values (Qc) ranges from 8-158 kg/cm3, 20-160 kg/cm3, 32-166 kg/cm3 for Sokoto street site, Parkview estate site, and Delta street site respectively. Correlating this result with standard penetration test values, it shows dense soil at 3m, 10m and 45m for Delta Street site, medium dense soil at 2m and 30m for Parkview estate site, and medium dense soil at 3m, 29m and 30m for Sokoto Street site. The undrained triaxial test revealed that undrained cohesion ranges from 47-70 KNm-2, 44-95 KNm-2, and 15-30 KNm-2 with no angle of internal friction for Sokoto Street, Delta Street and Parkview estate site respectively. These values show that the soils have low bearing capacity due to low undrained cohesion and angle of internal friction. The geotechnical analysis result show that for the proposed building (tower) on the three sites, shallow foundation cannot be supported because the foundation pressure exceeds the bearing capacities of the soil across the three sites at shallow depth and the loads needs to be transferred to more competent soil layer at deeper depth via a non- displacement (or replacement) pile.
-  A.A. Adepelumi and M.O. Olorunfemi. Engineering geological and geophysical investigation of the reclaimed Lekki Peninsula, Lagos southwest Nigeria. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment 58 (2000) 125-132.
-  D.A. Alao, A.O. Adeoye and O.O. Abioye. Geotechnical Properties of Some Selected Beach Sands in Lagos, Southwestern Nigeria. Geoscience, Scientific and Academic Publishing 4(3) (2014) 51-53.
-  D.A. Alao. Geology and Engineering Properties of Laterites from Ilorin Nigeria, Engineering Geology. Elsevier Science Publisher Amsterdam 19 (1982/83) 111-118.
-  ASTM D3080 / D3080M (2011) Standard Test Method for Direct Shear Test of Soils under Consolidated Drained Conditions.
-  ASTM D3441 - 05 Standard Test Method for Mechanical Cone Penetration Tests of Soil.
-  Z. Fusheng, L. Songyu, D. Yanjun and C. Kerui. Behavior of Expansive soils stabilized with fly ash. Journal of Natural Hazard, 47 (2008) 509-523.
-  H. A. Jones and R. D. Hockey. The geology of part of Southwestern Nigeria. Geological Survey of Nigeria, Bull. 31 (1998) 87.
-  E. O. Longe, S. Malomo and M. A. Olorunniwo. Hydrogeology of Lagos Metropolis, African Journal of Earth Sciences 6 (2) (1987) 163 – 174.
-  A.O. Ogundalu and G.L. Oyekan. Mineralogy and geotechnical characterisation of Maiduguri black cotton soil by X-ray Diffraction, X-ray Photoelectron and Scanning electron microscope. International Journal of Engineering and Technology 4(6) (2014) 345-353.
-  A.O. Oladele, J.O. Olusola and T.A. Emmanuel. Engineering Properties of Lateritic Soils around Dall Quarry in Sango Area, Ilorin, Nigeria. Journal of Earth Science Research 1(2) (2012) 71-81.
-  M. E. Omatsola and O. S. Adegoke. Tectonic Evolution and Cretaceous Stratigraphy of the Dahomey Basin. Journal of Mining Geology 18 (1) (1981) 130-137.
-  K.F. Oyedele, E.A. Meshida, and C.C. Obidike. Assessment of Coastal Soil corrosivity using resistivity tomography at Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria. International Journal of Science and Advanced Technology 6 (2) (2012) 77-81.
-  K.F. Oyedele, S. Oladele, and O. Adedoyin. Application of geophysical and geotechnical methods to Site Characterization for Construction Purposes at Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria. Journal of Earth Science and Geotechnical Engineering 1(1) (2011) 87-100.
-  M. Robert. Avoiding Foundation Failures, Second edition. John Willey Publisher. (1996) 5-20.
-  M.J. Tomlinson. Foundation design and construction (1980) 37-55, 99, 265- 327
-  V.N.S. Murthy. Geotechnical engineering, Principles and Practice of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, 270 Madison Avenue, New York. (1991)
-  R. D. Holtz and W. D. Kovacs. An Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering, Prentice Hall, Eaglewood cliffs, New Jersey. (1981).
-  H.G. Billman. Offshore Stratigraphy and Palaeontology of the Dahomey Embayment, West African. NAPE Bulletin. 7 (2) (1992) 121-130.
-  G.N. Smith and I.G.N. Smith. Element of Soil Mechanics (7th edition), University Press, Cambridge. (1988).
-  N.G. Obaje. Geology and Mineral Resources of Nigeria, Department of Geology & Mining, Nassarawa State University, Keffi, Nigeria. (2009).
-  Kayode Olaoye. Report of subsoil investigation, KDF Consult limited, Ikeja, Lagos. (2015).
-  G.G. Meyerhof. The Ultimate bearing capacity of foundations, Geotechnique. 2(4) (1951).
-  B.J. Hansen. A revised and extended formula for bearing capacity, Bulletin no. 28, Danish Geotechnical Institute, Copenhagen. (1970) 5-11.
-  K. Terzaghi and R.B. Peck. Soil mechanics in engineering practice 2nd Edition, Pub. John Wiley & Son. (1967).
-  J.C. Pugh. A Classification of the Nigerian Coastline. Journal of the West African Science Association 1 (1954) 3-12.
-  N. O. Adebisi, J. Osammor, K. F. Oyedele. Nature and engineering characteristics of foundation soils in Ibeju Lekki area of Lagos, southwestern Nigeria. Ife Journal of Science Vol 18, No 1 (2016) 029-042
-  T. K. S. Abam, C. O. Ofoegbu, C. C. Osadebe, A. E. Gobo. Impact of hydrology on the Port-Harcourt–Patani-Warri Road. Environmental Geology December 2000, Volume 40, Issue 1–2, pp 153–162
-  C. O. Una, O. Igwe, R. Maduka, A. Brooks, R. Ajodo, E. J. Adepehin, E. Okwoli. Integrating geotechnical and geophysical techniques in assessing frequent building collapse in Akpugo, Nkanu West L.G.A., Enugu State, Nigeria. Arabian Journal of Geosciences December 2015, Volume 8, Issue 12, pp 10951–10960
-  Adepelumi AA, Olorunfemi MO (2000) Engineering geological and geophysical investigation of the reclaimed Lekki Peninsula, Lagos. Southwest Nigeria. Bull Eng Geol Environ 58: 125–132
-  Ede AN (2010) Building collapse in Nigeria: the trend of casualties in the last decade (2000–2010). Int J Civ Environ Eng 10(6):32–42
-  Fatoba JO, Salami BM, Adesida A (2013) Structural failure investigation using electrical resistivity method: a case study of Amafor Ihuokpala, Enugu, Southeastern Nigeria. J Geol Min Res 5(8): 208–215
-  Igwe O, Fukuoka H (2014) The effect of water-saturation on the stability of problematic slopes at the Iva Valley area, Southeast Nigeria. Arab J Geosci. doi: 10.1007/s12517-014-1398-7
-  Obaje NG (1994) Coal petrography, microfossils and paleoenvironments of Cretaceous coal measures in the Middle Benue Trough of Nigeria. Tuebinger. Mikropalaeontologische Mitteilungen 11:1–165
-  Obiora SC, Umeji AC (2004) Petrographic evidence for regional burial metamorphism of the sedimentary rocks in the Lower Benue Rift. J Afr Earth Sci 3: 269–277
-  Oboh-Ikuenobe EF, Obi GC, Jaramillo AC (2005) Lithofacies, palynofacies, and sequence stratigraphy of Palaeogene strata in Southeastern Nigeria. Afr Earth Sci 41: 79–101
-  Uduji ER, Okagbue CO, Onyeobi TUS (1996) Geotechnical properties of soils derived from the Awgu and Mamu formations in the Awgu-Okigwe area of south-eastern Nigeria and their relations to engineering problems. Int J Rock Mech Min Sci Geomech 33: 117–123
Publication order reference