Geophysical Survey of Basement Complex Terrain Using Electrical Resistivity Method for Groundwater Potential
Languages of publication
A geophysical survey of basement complex using electrical resistivity method was carried out so as to provide geological and geophysical information on the different subsurface features. The sought-for parameters include thickness, depth, basement for groundwater potential and aquifer protective capacity. The acquired data were process using Win-Resist software and surfer 8, and the result was then analyzed and interpreted. Accordingly, 3-4 geoelectrical layers within the subsurface delineate the area: top soil, lateritic layer, weathered/fractured layer and fresh rock. Resistivity values of the top soil range between 55.5 mΩ to 749.7 mΩ, with average thickness of 0.4 m to 3.6 m, while the lateritic layer ranges between 153.3 mΩ to 862.0 mΩ, with average thickness of 4.5 m to 20.7 m, the weathered/fractured layer in turn ranges between 15.6 mΩ to 698.9 mΩ, with average thickness of 7.7 m to 55.2 m, and the fresh rock ranges between 13.4 mΩ to 5102 mΩ, with infinite homogeneous half space. Over all, the longitudinal conductance of the overburden units range from 0.147 mhos to 0.957 mhos and the overburden is thick enough for groundwater exploration activities. The results provide reasonably information that the aquifer units are weathered/fractured layers with a significant groundwater potential that is free of contamination.
-  Zohdy AAR, The Auxiliarry Point Method of Electrical Sounding Interpretation, and its Relationship to the Dar zarrouk Parameters. Geophysics 3(4) (1965) 644-650
-  Adeeko TO, Ojo EO, Underground Water Distribution System in Gwagwalada Area Council Abuja, Nigeria, using Resistivity Geophysical Method. International Journal of Scientific Research in Agricultural Sciences 2(4) (2015) 097-104. doi.org/10.12983/ijsras-2015-p0097-0104
-  Maiti S, Gupta G, Erram VC, Tiwari RK, Inversion of Schlumberger resistivity sounding data from the critically dynamic Koyna region using the Hybrid Monte Carlo-based neural network approach. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 18 (2011) 179–192. doi:10.5194/npg-18-179-2011
-  Mohamaden MII, Delineating groundwater aquifer and subsurface structures by using geoelectrical data: Case study (Dakhla Oasis, Egypt). NRIAG Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics 5 (2016) 247–253. doi.org/10.1016/j.nrjag.2016.05.001
-  Maiti S, Gupta G, Erram VC, Tiwari RK, Delineation of shallow resistivity structure around Malvan, Konkan region, Maharashtra by neural network inversion using vertical electrical sounding measurements. Environmental Earth Sciences 68 (2013) 779–794. doi 10.1007/s12665-012-1779-8
-  Omusuyi GO, Adeyemo A, Adegoke AO, Investigation of Groundwater Prospect Using Electromagnetic and Geoelectric Sounding at Afunbiowo, near Akure, Southwestern Nigeria. The Pacific Journal of Science and Technology 8(2) (2007) 172-182
-  Sultan SA, Essa KSAT, Khalil MH, El-Nahry AEH, Galal ANH, Evaluation of groundwater potentiality survey in south Ataqa-northwestern part of Gulf of Suez by using resistivity data and site-selection modeling. NRIAG Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics 6(1) (2017) 230-243. doi.org/10.1016/j.nrjag.2017.02.002
-  Adeeko TO, Muhammad H, A Geophysical Survey Involving Twelve Vertical Electrical Sounding (VES), Lokoja Area Council Kogi State. International Journal of Scientific Research in Environmental Sciences 3(7) (2015) 0256-0265. doi.org/10.12983/ijsres- 2015-p0256-0265
-  Maiti S, Erram VC, Gupta G, Tiwari RK, ANN based inversion of DC resistivity data for groundwater exploration in hard rock terrain of western Maharashtra (India). Journal of Hydrology 464–465 (2012) 294–308.
-  Mohamaden MII, Hamouda AZ, Mansour S, Application of electrical resistivity method for groundwater exploration at the Moghra area, Western Desert, Egypt. The Egyptian Journal of Aquatic Research 42(3) (2016) 261-268. doi.org/10.1016/j.ejar.2016.06.002
-  Olayinka AI, Amidu SA, Oladunjoye MA, Use of Electromagnetic Profiling and Resistivity Sounding for Groundwater Exploration in the Crystalline Basement Area of Igbeti, Southwestern Nigerian. Global Journal Geological Sciences 2(2) (2004) 243-253
-  Muraina ZM, Thompson HTO, Adedamola TF, Electrical Resistivity Sounding for Subsurface Delineation and Evaluation of Groundwater Potential of Araromi Akungba-Akoko Ondo State Southwestern Nigeria. Journal of Environment and Earth Science 2(7) (2012) 29-40
-  Łączny MJ, Bzowski Z, Transformations of calcium sulphates in solidified carbonated volatile fluidized ashes. Journal of Sustainable Mining 16(4) (2017) 151-155. doi.org/10.1016/j.jsm.2017.11.003
-  Mohamaden MII, Ehabb D, Application of electrical resistivity for groundwater exploration in Wadi Rahaba, Shalateen, Egypt. NRIAG Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics 6(1) (2017) 201-209. doi.org/10.1016/j.nrjag.2017.01.001
-  Obaje NG, Geology and Mineral Resources of Nigeria, Springer, Berlin, Germany (2009) 221. ISBN- 13: 9783540926849.
-  Oladapo MI, Mohammed MZ, Adeoye OO, Adetola OO, Geoelectric investigation of the Ondo-State Housing Corporation Estate Ijapo Akure South Western Nigeria. Journal of Mining and Geology 40(1) (2004) 41-48
-  Ohioma JO, Ezomo FO, Akinsunmade A, Delineation of Hydrothermally Altered Zones that Favour Gold Mineralization in Isanlu Area, Nigeria Using Aeroradiometric Data. International Annals of Science 2(1) (2017) 20-27. doi.org/10.21467/ias.2.1.20-27
-  Nwachukwu MA, Nwosu I, Uzoije PA, Nwoko CA, 1D resistivity inversion technique in the mapping of igneous intrusives; A step to sustainable quarry development. Journal of Sustainable Mining 16(4) (2017) 127-138. doi.org/10.1016/j.jsm.2017.11.001
-  Adeeko TO, Samson DO, Application of Electrical Resistivity in Mapping Subsurface Characteristics. Asian Journal of Environment & Ecology 6(2) (2018) 1-12. doi: 10.9734/AJEE/2018/40096
-  Oni TE, Omosuyi GO, Akinlalu AA, Groundwater vulnerability assessment using hydrogeologic and geoelectric layer susceptibility indexing at Igbara Oke, Southwestern Nigeria. NRIAG Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics 6 (2017) 452–458
Publication order reference