Cardioncology in Russia: Start-Off and Prospects
Languages of publication
The progress in improving the survival of cancer patients in Russia, as well as throughout the world, means that in the next years it is going to be an increase in the number of disabled people who has achieved remission, or who faces the consequences of high-dose polychemotherapy and/or radiotherapy between courses of cancer treatment. Until recently, the two main socially significant medical problems in Russia, cancer and cardiac, have been rarely united into one. Publications on this topic appeared only in specialized cancer journals and were unknown by a wide range of cardiologists and internists, therefore the involvement of these specialists in the study of theoretical and practical aspects of the management of patients with malignant tumors was limited. Creation of the International Society of Cardioncology (ICOS) contributed to the development of an interest in this interdisciplinary field of modern medicine. However, even today cardiac problems of cancer patients in Russia mostly are limited to the cardiotoxicity studying, but, according to the position of the authors a great attention should be paid to the systemic reactions, including cardiovascular reactions of the organism to the tumor, as well as to the therapeutic issues and cardiac rehabilitation of cancer patients.
- Medical Director of St. Petersburg Hospital of Russian Academy of Sciences; Head of Cardiology Department, St. Petersburg Hospital of Russian Academy of Sciences; Therapy Department, St. Petersburg State University
- St. Petersburg Hospital of Russian Academy of Sciences
- The situation of cancer care in Russia in 2012. Caprino AD, Starinskiy VV, Petrova GV (ed.). FSBI “P.A. Herzen MRIO”, Russian Ministry of Health, 2013.
- News bulletin No. 297 SMI WHO, February 2012.
- GLOBOCAN, 2008 [online: http://globocan.iarc.fr] (access: 19.04.2011).
- Shalnova SA, Conradi AO, Karpov YA et al. Analysis of mortality from cardiovascular disease in 12 regions of Russian Federation involved in the study Epidemiology of cardiovascular disease in different regions of Russia. Russian Journal of Cardiology 2012; 5(97).
- Hershanowitch ML, Orlova RV, Moiseenko VM. Prevention of cardiotoxicity caused by doxorubicin (adriamycin) using Cardioxane (ICRF-187, dexrazoxane) in polychemotherapy of advanced breast cancer. Oncology Issues 1993; 39(1-3): 26-31.
- Orlova RV. Evaluation of cardiotoxicity caused by antitumor anthracycline antibiotics and its possible prevention. Author’s Ph.D. thesis. St. Petersburg 1995.
- Timakov AM. Late cardiotoxic effects of chemoradiation therapy in children with hematological malignancies and other cancer diseases. Author’s Ph.D. thesis. Moscow 1994.
- Timakov AM. Long-term results of treatment of acute lymphocytic leukemia in children. Author’s Ph.D. thesis. Moscow 2003.
- Tarasevich RA. Anthracycline cardiotoxicity problem in anticancer therapy in childhood. Questions of Hematology, Oncology and Immunopathology in Pediatrics 2005; 4(1): 58-64.
- Matyash M, Kravchuk TL, Vysotsky VV et al. Anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity: mechanisms of development and clinical manifestations. Siberian Journal of Oncology 2008; 6: 66-75.
- Matyash M, Kravchuk TL, Vysotsky VV et al. Сardiotoxicity of cytostatic drugs excluding anthracyclines. Siberian Journal of Oncology 2009; 5: 73-82.
- Orel NF. Anthracycline cardiotoxicity: the possibility of overcoming. Modern Oncology 2004; 6(3): 121-124.
- Semenova AE. Cardio- and neurotoxicity of anticancer drugs (pathogenesis, symptoms, prevention, treatment). Practical Oncology 2009; 10(3): 169.
- Chernov VI, Kravchuk TL, Zelchan RV, Goldberg VE. ECG-gated single-photon emission computed tomography in the evaluation of cardiotoxicity of doxorubicin. Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Safety 2012; 4: 32-38.
- Boqueria LA, Malashenko AI, Kavsadze VE, Serov RA. Cardiooncology. NCCS A.N. Bakuleva RAMS 2003: 254.
- Dolgih TY, Jeltova LI, Domnikova NP et al. The state of autonomic nervous system of the heart in patients with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma during chemotherapy. Fundamental Research 2012; 5: 26-30.
- Moiseenko VM, Procenko SA. Chemotherapeutic aspects of the treatment of tumors in the elderly. Biomedical Journal, Medline.ru. 2002; 3: 267-268.
- Ballyuzek M. F., Stepanov B. P. Aims and opportunities of therapeutic rehabilitation of oncology patients. Clinacal medicine/Klinicheskaja medizina 2013; 9
- Vasyuk Yu A, Shkolnik EL, Nesvetov VV et al. Opportunities of early diagnostic and prevention of anthracycline cardiotoxicity by inhibiting F-channels of sinus node with ivabradine. Materials of Russian National Congress of Cardiology “Cardiology: from science to practice”. St. Petersburg, 2013: 0129.
Publication order reference