Nutrient, chlorophyll, and water clarity relationships in Baltic Sea nearshore coastal waters with comparisons to freshwater lakes Barlinek Gorzów Landscape Park (North-West Poland)
Languages of publication
Models relating chlorophyll to nutrients and Secchi depth to chlorophyll using data from nearshore coastal waters of Baltic Sea were successfully developed. The models suggest that phosphorus is the primary limiting factor for phytoplankton in the nearshore coastal waters of Baltic Sea and that total phosphorus concentration accounts for 65% of the variance in chlorophyll concentration. The models also show that chlorophyll is the dominant factor determining Secchi depth in nearshore coastal waters of Baltic Sea and that chlorophyll concentrations account for 38% of the variance in Secchi depth. On the basis of the analysis of research in the Western and Northern Polish Lakes summer macrozoobenthos it can be concluded that in the lakes Barlinek-Gorzów Landscape Park (Barlineckie Lake, Glebokie Lake, Lubiszewko Lake, Przyleg Lake) very intensively develop Oligochaeta. While the larvae of Chironomidae subdominants status in the period under review amounting to water, developed in other lakes much more intensely, acting mostly the main ingredient of benthic fauna. The results obtained have revealed that the ecological condition of the water in the lakes Barlinek-Gorzów Landscape Park (Barlineckie Lake, Glebokie Lake, Lubiszewko Lake, Przyleg Lake) is very bad.
- Department of Horticulture, Faculty of Environmental Management and Agriculture, West Pomeranian University of Technology Szczecin, 17 Słowackiego Street, 71-434 Szczecin, Poland, Janusz.Wilas@zut.edu.pl
- Faculty of Biology, University of Szczecin, 13 Waska Street, 71-415 Szczecin, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Board of Marine Ports of Szczecin and Świnoujście S.A., Environment and Health Research Laboratory, 7 Bytomska Street, 70-603 Szczecin, Poland
- Department of Chemistry and Protection of the Aquatic Environment, Faculty of Biology, University of Szczecin, 3C Felczaka Street, 71-412 Szczecin, Poland
-  Bäck, S., Kautsky, H., Kruk-Dowgiallo, L. D. Jurgilaite 1996. Mapping and Monitoring Phytobenthic Biodiversity in the Northern Baltic Sea. TemaNord Environment. Nordic Council of Ministers.
-  Borg A., Pihl L., H. Wennhage 1997. Habitat choice by juvenile cod (Gadus morhua L.) on sandy soft bottoms with different vegetation types. Helgol. Meeresunters, 51: 2, pp. 197-212.
-  Brown, C.D., Canfield, D.E., Jr., Bachmann, R.w., and Hoyer, M.V. 1998. Seasonal patterns of chlorophyll, nutrient concentrations and Secchi disk transparency in Florida lakes. Lake Reservoir Manage. 14: 60-76.
-  Brown, C.D., Hoyer, M.V., Bachmann, R.W., Canfield, D.E., Jr. 2000. Nutrient–chlorophyll relationships: an evaluation of empirical nutrient–chlorophyll models using Florida and northern temperate lake data. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 57: 1574-1583.
-  Daniszewski P., 2015. Characteristics of macrozoobenthos lakes of the Barlinek Gorzów Landscape Park (North-West Poland) on the basis of the European Union Water Framework Directive. International Letters of Natural Sciences, Vol. 36, pp 1-78, SciPress Ltd., Switzerland, DOI:10.18052/www.scipress.com/ILNS.36.1
-  Daniszewski P., 2014. Evaluation of Chemical and Physico-Chemical Indicators of Water in the Lakes of Barlinek-Gorzów Landscape Park (North-West Poland). Asian Journal of Chemistry. Vol. 26, No. 9, 2527-2536. DOI:10.14233/ajchem.2014.15702
-  Daniszewski P., 2013. Vulnerability assessment of Lakes on the degradation in the Barlinecko – Gorzowski Landscape Park. Asian Journal of Chemistry. Vol. 25, No. 18, 10225-10229. DOI:10.14233/ajchem.2013.15241
-  Daniszewski P. 2013. Evaluation of chemical and physico-chemical indicators of water of the lakes in the city of Szczecin on the basis of the EU Water Framework Directive. Journal of Ecological Engineering, Volume 14, No. 3, July 2013, pp. 24-30, DOI: 10.5604/2081139X.1055822.
-  Daniszewski P. 2013. The assessment of Lakes’ vulnerability to degradation in the city of Szczecin. Journal of Ecological Engineering. Volume 14, No. 2, April 2013, pp. 74–78. DOI: 10.5604/2081139X.1043188.
-  Daniszewski P., Konieczny R., 2014. Heavy metal content of water in the lakes of the Barlinek-Gorzów Landscape Park (North-West Poland). Asian Journal of Chemistry. Vol. 26, No. 12, 3443-3449. DOI: 10.14233/ajchem.2014.15726
-  Daniszewski P. 2014. Heavy Metals in Water German-Polish Szczecin (Oder-) Lagoon and Their Potentiality in Health Risk Assessment. Asian Journal of Chemistry. Vol. 26, No. 14, 4251-4254. DOI:10.14233/ajchem.2014.16087A
-  Daniszewski P. 2014. Total Alkaline Phosphatase Activity of Water in the Lakes of Barlinek-Gorzów Landscape Park (North-West Poland). Asian Journal of Chemistry. Vol. 26, No. 13 (2014), 3888-3890. DOI:10.14233/ajchem.2014.15994
-  Daniszewski P. 2013. Charakterystyka poziomu trofii, podatności na degradację, warunków siedliskowych ichtiofauny oraz współczynników biokoncentracji BCF (Bioconcentration factor) jezior Barlinecko – Gorzowskiego Parku Krajobrazowego. Wydawnictwo Uczelniane Uniwersytetu Technologiczno-Przyrodniczego w Bydgoszczy. s. 1-155, ISBN 978-83-64235-02-3.
-  Daniszewski P., Draszawka - Bołzan B. 2012. Water quality of the surfaces waters of the swimming pools port in Swinoujscie. International Letters of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy 4, 96-102. doi:10.18052/www.scipress.com/ILCPA.4.96
-  Daniszewski P., Draszawka - Bołzan B. 2012. Influence of folding wastes on natural environment in Miedzyzdroje. International Letters of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy 3, 67-72. doi:10.18052/www.scipress.com/ILCPA.3.67
-  Dahlberg and Jansson 1997. The Environmental Status of the Baltic Sea in the 40s, Now and in the Future. Stockholm Marine Research Centre. Technical Report No 24. ISSN 1104-8298.
-  Elmgren R., Hansson S., Larsson U., Sundelin B. P.D. Boehm 1983. The "Tsesis" oil-spill: Acute and long-term impact on the benthos. Mar. Biol. 73, pp. 51-65.
-  Eriksson B., Johansson K. P. Snoeijs 1998. Long-term changes in the sublittoral zonation of brown algae in the southern Bothnian Sea. Eur. J. Phycol. 33: 3. pp. 241-249.
-  Gärdenfors, U. (ed.) 2000. Rödlistade arter i Sverige - The 2000 Red List of Swedish Species. ArtDatabanken, SLU Uppsala.
-  HELCOM 1996. 3rd Periodic Assessment of the State of the Marine Environment of the Baltic Sea.
-  HELCOM 1996a. Coastal and Marine Protected Areas in the Baltic Sea Region. Baltic Sea Environment Proceedings No 63.
-  HELCOM 1996b. The Environmental State of the Baltic Sea. From the 2nd ECO-BALTIC Conference, Environmental Management in the Baltic Sea Region, 9-11 October 1997, Gdansk, Poland.
-  HELCOM 1999. The State of the Baltic Marine Environment in 1999. Prepared by the Environment Committee of HELCOM, October 1999.
-  HELCOM, 1974. Convention on the protection of the marine environment of the Baltic Sea area. HELCOM, 1988. Declaration on the protection of the marine environment of the Baltic Sea area. Adopted on 15th February 1988 in Helsinki.
-  HELCOM, 1992. Convention on the protection of the marine environment of the Baltic Sea area, 1992. Entered into force on 17 January 2000
-  Mark V. Hoyer, Thomas K. Frazer, Sky K. Notestein, Daniel E. Canfield, Jr. 2002 Nutrient, chlorophyll, and water clarity relationships in Florida’s nearshore coastal waters with comparisons to freshwater lakes. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 59: 1024-1031
-  Meeuwig, J.J., Rasmussen, J.B., Peters, R.H. 1998. Turbid waters and clarifying mussels: their moderation of empirical chl:nutrient relations in estuaries in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 171: 139–150.
-  Meeuwig, J.J., Kauppila, P., Pitkanen, H. 2000. Predicting coastal eutrophication in the Baltic: a limnological approach. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 57: 844–855.
-  Menzel, D.W., Corwin, N. 1965. The measurement of total phosphorus in seawater based on the liberation of organically bound fractions by persulfate oxidation. Limnol. Oceanogr. 10: 280-282.
-  Murphy, J., and Riley, J.P. 1962. A modified single solution method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters. Anal. Chim. Acta, 27: 31-36. Nixon, S.W. 1995. Coastal marine eutrophication: a definition, social causes, and future concerns. Ophelia, 41: 19-219.
-  Sakamoto, M. 1966. Primary production by phytoplankton community in some Japanese lakes and its dependence on lake depth. Arch. Hydrobiol. 62: 1-28.
-  Sartory, D.P., Grobbelarr, J.U. 1984. Extraction of chlorophyll a from freshwater phytoplankton for spectrophotometric analysis. Hydrobiologia, 114: 11-187.
-  Vollenweider, R.A. 1976. Advances in defining critical loading levels of phosphorus in lake eutrophication. Mem. Ist. Ital. Idrobiol. 33: 53-83.
-  Vollenweider, R.A. 1992. Coastal marine eutrophication: principles and control. In Marine coastal eutrophication. The response of marine transitional systems to human impacts: problems and perspectives for restoration. Edited by R.A.
-  Vollenweider, R. Marchetti, and R. Viviani. Science of the Total Environment 1992, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Publication order reference