Gastronomic tourism in rural areas of Vojvodina (North Serbia) – Dispersion, condition and offer of authentic restaurants “messuages”
Languages of publication
The food offer is the best reflection of how preserved culture and tradition of peoples who inhabit specific areas are. In Vojvodina, they are most diverse in messuages (sr. “salaš”) (rural farm houses where people who were engaged in agriculture and cattle-breeding started living more than a century ago). Isolated from the modern world, messuages have nowadays gained popularity, and are often called the symbols of Pannonian Plain. This paper will try to show the dispersion, significance and possibilities of old Vojvodina households which were turned into very popular hospitality facilities with national and traditional food, and thus contributed to gastronomic tourism and rural development, as well as the economy of the region. What is even more valuable besides the preserved setting are preserved authentic tastes, local cuisine, mixture of influence of people who inhabited or who still inhabit this region, such as Hungarians, Slovaks, Serbs, Bosniaks, Ruthenians, Germans and other nations.
-  B. Đerčan, B. Kalenjuk, M, Bubalo-Živković, T. Lukić, Gastronomic and Wine Tourism as Regional Development Factor: Case Study – The Municipality of Šid, Serbia. World Scientific News 88 (2) (2017) 183-198.
-  B. Kalenjuk, D. Tešanović, M. Škrinjar, N. Vuksanović, Gastronomy potentials of vojvodina in the development of the tourism. Zbornik radova Departmana za geografiju, turizam i hotelijerstvo 40 (2011) 180-187.
-  B. Kalenjuk, B. Đerčan, D. Tešanović, Gastronomy tourism as a factor of regional development. Ekonomika 3 (2012a) 136-146.
-  B. Kalenjuk, D. Tešanović, M. Škrinjar, L. Đeri, The importance of authentic food in the development of the culinary tourism in Vojvodina. In by 1st Belgrade International Tourism Conference 2012: Contemporary Tourism - Wishes and Opportunities, March 22-24. Belgrade: College of tourism. 2012b, 293-300.
-  B. Kalenjuk, D. Tešanović, S. Gagić, J. Babić, Views of employees in the hospitality and tourism industry on the total potencials of Vojvodina to attract tourists motivated by food and drink. Researches Review of the Department of Geography, Tourism and Hotel Management 42 (2013 a) 178-188.
-  B. Kalenjuk, D. Tešanović, M. Bradić, The employees attitudes in hospitality and tourism and about potential for development of gastronomic tourism in Vojvodina. The central European journal of regional development and tourism 5 (3) (2013 b) 31-44.
-  B. Kalenjk, Vojvodina as a destination for gastronomic tourism. PhD dissertation. Novi Sad, Serbia: Faculty of Sciences, University in Novi Sad (in Serbian), 2014.
-  B. Kalenjuk, B. Cvetković, J. Dević-Blanuša, Authentic foods of rural areas of Vojvodina and the importance for the development of gastronomic tourism. Turističko poslovanje 20 (2017) 27-35.
-  B. Kalenjuk, Food and Nutrition of the Vojvodina population in the function of tourism development, reflecting the offer of catering facilities, and a monograph entitled: Ethnic groups of Vojvodina in the 21st century - state and perspectives of sustainability. Novi Sad, Serbia: Faculty of Sciences, University in Novi Sad (in Serbian), 2017a, 129-144.
-  B. Kalenjuk, Food in the function of tourism. Novi Sad, Serbia: Faculty of Sciences, University in Novi Sad (in Serbian), 2017b.
-  B. Kalenjuk, J. Devic Blanusa, P. Tosic, B. Cvetkovic, The influence of ethnic groups of Vojvodina on the structure of gastronomic offer in the hospitality industry. In by The Fifth International Academic Conference: Science and Practice of Business Studies, September 15th. Banja Luka: University of Business Studies. 2017a, 952-961.
-  B. Kalenjuk, D. Tešanović, D, Timotić, M. Banjac, Protected products of animal origin and potentials of protected areas in the function of development of tourism in Vojvodina: Trends and challenges in food technology, Nutrition, hospitality, tourism, education and training, Collection proceedings of the 4th International Professional Conference, October 19th–20th. Ljubljana, Slovenia: Biotechnical Educational Centre Ljubljana. 2017b, 196-204.
-  C.M. Hall, R. Mitchell, Wine and food tourism. In by N. Douglas, N. Douglas, R. Derrett (ed), Special Interest Tourism. Milton, Australia: John Wiley & Sons. 2001, 149-164.
-  C.M. Hall, R. Mitchell, R, Gastronomy, food and wine tourism. In by D. Buhalis, C. Costa, Tourism Business Frontiers - Consumers, products and industry. Oxford: Elsevier Ltd. 2006, 137-147.
-  D. Demirović, Salaši Vojvodine kao čuvari tradicije - primer jednog salaša. Agroekonomika 55 (2012) 95-104.
-  D. Demirović, Z. Njegovan, Tourist satisfaction with perceived values on traditional farms in AP Vojvodina. In by D. Cvijanović (ed), Sustainable agriculture and rural development in terms of the Republic of Serbia strategic goals realization within the danube region Conference. Belgrade: Institute of Agricultural economics, Book of proceedings. 2014, 648-664.
-  D. Tešanović, B. Kalenjuk, I. Blešić, Struktura gastronomske ponude na salašima i njen uticaj na razvoj seoskog turizma. Turističko poslovanje 4 (2009) 103-110.
-  Jelisavka Bulatović, Goran Rajović, Environmental Awareness Population in City Municipality of Zvezdara (Belgrade) – for the Sustainable Zvezdarske Forest. World News of Natural Sciences 16 (2018) 1-17
-  E. Ignatov, S. Smith, Segmenting Canadian culinary tourists. Current Issues in Tourism 9 (3) (2006) 235–255.
-  E. Wolf, Culinary Tourism: The Hidden Harvest. Dubuque: Kendall/Hunt Publishing, 2006.
-  G. Richards, Gastronomy: an essential ingredient in tourism production and consumption? In by A.M. Hjalager, G. Richards (eds), Tourism and Gastronomy. London: Routledge. 2002, 3-20.
-  J.C. Henderson, Food as a tourism resource: A view from Singapore. Tourism Recreation Research 29 (3) (2004) 69-74.
-  M. Banjac, B. Kalenjuk, D. Tešanović, S. Gagić, B. Cvetković, Gastronomic Tourism in Rural Areas of Vojvodina (Serbia). Turizam 20 (4) (2016) 180-191.
-  M. Bozin, Salaši for you. Novi Sad: Prometej (in Serbian), 2018.
-  P. Boniface, Tasting Tourism: Travelling for Food and Drink. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2003.
-  S. Baum, The Tourist Potential of Rural Areas in Poland. Eastern European Countryside 17 (2011) 107–135.
-  S. Gagic, A. Jovičić, D. Tešanović, B. Kalenjuk, Motives for food choice among serbian consumers. Economics of Agriculture, Belgrade 61 (1) (2014) 41-51.
-  S. Quan, N. Wang, Towards a structural model of the tourist experience: an illustration from food experiences in tourism. Tourism Management 25 (3) (2004) 297–305.
-  Statistical Yearbook of the Republic of Serbia 2014. (in Serbian) Available from: http://pod2.stat.gov.rs/ObjavljenePublikacije/God/SGS2014.pdf
-  T. Stojanović, S. Čerović, Gastronomic offer of rural tourism: Tourist attraction of geographic area of Serbia. Collection of papers, Faculty of Geography at the University of Belgrade 56 (2008) 165-176.
Publication order reference