Growth performance and carcass traits of Karadi growing lambs
Languages of publication
Carcass yield of fat-tailed Karadi lambs was investigated. A total of 32 The Karadi lambs screened from various commercial sheep flocks from four different geographic zones (Sharazoor, Halabja, Sharbazher, and Penjween) in Sulaimani governorate, Kurdistan, Iraq. Eight lambs from each of the 4 ecological zones were randomly assigned to 2 feeding treatments (concentrate diet vs. whole barley grain) at a level of 2% of their body weights with 4-6 hours a day stubble grazing. Results revealed that overall means weights recorded at slaughter (38.263 ±1.4 kg), hot carcass (17.199 ±0.8 kg), dressing percentage (44.901 ±1.1%), neck (0.436 ±0.02 kg), shoulder (1.633 ±0.1 kg), loin (0.529 ±0.03 kg), rack (0.782 ±0.1 kg), breast (0.577 ±0.03 kg), fore shank (0.448 ±0.03 kg) and flank (0.276 ±0.02 kg). Overall means of fat thickness, rib eye area and kidney and pelvic fat were 1.790 ±0.3 mm, 13.967 ±0.6 cm2. Types of feed (barley or concentrate) had no statistical effects on carcass characteristics. Lambs fed barley recorded marginally higher weight at slaughtering, neck, head, feet, leg, shoulder, breast and fore shank as well as rib eye area. On the other hand, lambs fed concentrate had unmarked higher weights of hot carcass, heart, liver, kidney, tests, kidney and pelvic fat, tail, loin, rack and flank as well as higher dressing percentage and fat thickness. Geographic location affected weight at slaughter and some other carcass traits. It was concluded that there was a high genetic variation in carcass traits of lambs from different geographic location in Sulaimani province.
-  I.A. Alhidary, M.M. Abdelrahman, A.H. Alyemni, R.U. Khan, M.Y. Al-Saiady, R.A. Amran, F.A. Alshamiry. Effect of alfalfa hay on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and meat quality of growing lambs with ad libitum access to total mixed rations. R. Bras. Zootec. 45(6) (2016) 302-308
-  Bickerstaffe, R., K. Gately and J.D. Morton. The association between polymorphic variations in calpain 3 with the yield and tenderness of retail lamb meat cuts. (2009) Agriculture & Life Sciences Division, Lincoln University, Canterbury, New Zealand.
-  Bingol. Mehmet, Turgut Aygun, Ozdal Gokdal, Ayhan Yılmaz. The effects of docking on fattening performance and carcass characteristics in fat-tailed Norduz male lambs. Small Ruminant Research 64 (2006) 101-106
-  Carter, R. C., G. M. Carman and F. S. McClaugherty. Genotype-Environment Interaction in Sheep. III. Lamb Carcass Traits Carcass Traits. J ANIM SCI, 36 (1973) 617-621
-  N. Carvalho, Filogomes A. Instrument Evaluation of Lamb Carcass Yield and Quality Characteristics, (2011). M.Sc. Thesis, University. Fort Collins, Colorado.
-  J. Forrest, C., E. D. Aberele, H. B. Hedrick, M. D. Judge and P. A. Merkel. Principle of Meat Science. Schweigret, B.S. (Ed), (1975). Freeman W.H. and company, San Francisco.
-  O. Gökdal, T. Aygun, M. Bingol and F. Karakuş. The effect of docking on performance and carcass characteristics of male Karakas lambs. South African J. Anim. Sci. 33 (2003) 185-192
-  K. O. Idahor. Sheep and Goats slaughtered at Keffi Abattoir: health status, carcass yield and Foetal deaths. Journal of Animal Science Advances, 3(6) (2013) 276-283
-  Imam, S.A. and M.H. Mohammed. (1986). Growth of Karadi lambs during the suckling period. ZANCO 4: 63-74. (In Arabic).
-  E. L.S. Júnior, W. H. Sousa, E. C. P. Filho, S. G. Neto, F. Q. Cartaxo, M. F. Cezar, M. G. G. Cunha, J. M. P. Filho. Effect of frame size on performance and carcass traits of Santa Inês lambs finished in a feedlot. R. Bras. Zootec. vol.42 no.4 Viçosa Apr. 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982013000400008
-  S. Karaca, A. Yılmaz, A.S.Kor, M. Bingöl, I. Cavidoglu, G. Ser. The effect of feeding system on slaughter-carcass characteristics, meat quality, and fatty acid composition of lambs. Arch. Anim. Breed. 59 (2016) 121-129
-  S.A. Karim, A. Santra and D. L. Verma. Growth, feed conversion efficiency and carcass characteristics of Malpura and Malpura × Awassi crossbred lambs in a hot semi arid environment. Asian - Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(3) (2002) 377-381
-  M. Karym, A. A. Al-Rawi, G. M. Karim. Performance of Karadi Lambs Screened from Elite Flocks. Food and Nutrition Science - An International Journal 1 (2016) 1-5
-  K.I. Mahmud, A comparative study on growth, carcass traits and tissue distribution of Awassi and Hamdani lambs. (2007) M.Sc. Thesis. University of Duhok. pp 27.
-  K.E. McClure, M. B. Solomont, S. C. Loerch. Body weight and tissue gain in lambs fed an all-concentrate diet and implanted with trenbolone acetate or grazed on alfalfa. J Anim. Sci. 78 (2013) 1117-1124
-  Murphy, M. A., H. N. Zerby, F. L. Fluharty. 2003. The effects of energy source and ionophore supplementation on lamb growth, carcass characteristics and tenderness. Sheep Goat Res. J. 18: 89-95.
-  P. J. Murray, J. Sumarmono, N. M. W. Pratiwi, D. G. Taylor. Growth of goats for meat production: effect of breed and castration. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society of Australia .Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 10(4) (2001) S44
-  G. E. Peraza-Mercado, Jaramillo-Lopez, A. D. Alarcon-Rojo. Feed effect upon Carcass characteristics and Meat Quality of Pelibuey and Polypay Rambouillet lambs. American - Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci. 8 (5) (2010) 508- 513
-  G. H. Rouse, D. G. Topel, R. L. Vetter, R. E. Rust, T. W. Wickersham. Carcass composition of lamb at different stage of development. Jour. Anim. Sci. 31 (1970) 846.
-  Sen, Ugur, Mehmet Kuran and Umran Ensoy. Growth performance, carcass and meat quality of Karayaka female lambs born in different seasons. Arch. Anim. Breed. 56, 315-327, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7482/0003-9438-56-031
-  Shahrbabak, M.S., Y. Rozbahan, M.M. Shahrbabak and H.M. Shahrbabak, 2009. Influence of different levels of digestible undegrada ble protein on the carcass characteristic of Kermani male lambs in Iran. Int. J. Agri. Biol. 11: 643–646
-  Younas, U, M. Abdullah, J. A. Bhatti, T. N. Pasha, N. Ahmad, M. Nasir and A. Hussain. Interrelationship of body weight with linear body easurements in Hissardale Sheep at Differnt tages of Life. The Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences, 23(1) (2013) 40-44
Publication order reference