Effect of Bacillus coagulans and B. firmus incorporated probiotic diet on Superoxide dismutase activity and catalase activity in Penaeus monodon
Languages of publication
In the present study was Vibrio species from wild marine shrimp, Penaeus monodon and to study its effect on the probiotic feed supplemented organism, when artificially in infected. Biochemical changes during infection of Vibrio parahamolyticus was evaluated by studying the Superoxide dismutase activity and catalase activity after infection. The superoxide dismutase activity and catalase activity in hepatopancreas was estimated in prawns from all the three feed groups. There was significant variation in the SOD activity and catalase activity in all three groups, after 30 days of feeding, uniformly they recorded gain in the activity. The SOD activity was 2.65 in control animals, 5.8 in B. coagulans supplemented animals, and 4.4 in B. firmus supplemented animals and catalase activity was 15.8 in control animals, 29.0 in B. coagulans supplemented animals, and 26.3 in B. firmus supplemented animals. The presence of this B. coagulans and B. firmus could protect the aquatic animals against the infection by pathogenic bacteria and might be applied as good probiotics in aquaculture.
-  Lakshmi B, Viswanath B, Sai Gopal DVR. Probiotics as Antiviral Agents in Shrimp Aquaculture, J Path, 2013; 1-13.
-  Kumar PNJ, Jyothsna RS, Reddy MH, Sreevani S. Effect of Bacillus subtilis and Lactobacillus rhamnosus incorporated probiotic diet on growth pattern and enzymes in Penaeus vannamei. Int J Life Sci Pharm Res, 2013; 3(4): 6-11.
-  Mohapatra S, Chakraborty T, Kumar V, DeBoeck G, Mohanta KN. Aquaculture and stress management: a review of probiotic intervention, J Ani Phy Ani Nut, 2013; 97: 405-430.
-  Gatesoupe FJ. The use of probiotics in aquaculture, Aquaculture, 1999; 180: 147-165.
-  Kesarcodi-Watson A, Kaspar H, Lategan MJ, Gibson L. Probiotics in aquaculture: The need, principles and mechanisms of action and screening processes, Aquaculture, 2008; 274: 1-14.
-  Moriarty DJW. Control of luminous Vibrio species in penaeid aquaculture pond, Aquaculture, 1998; 164: 351-358.
-  Sung HH, Hong TJ. The gram negative bacterial flora in hepato pancreas of giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii): antibiotics sensitivities and production of extracellular products, J Fish Soc Taiwan., 1997; 24: 211-223.
-  West PA, Colwell RR. Identification and classification overview. In R. R. Colwell (ed.), Vibrios in the environment. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1984; 285-363.
-  Tacon AGJ. Standard methods for the nutrition and feeding of farmed fish and shrimp, Washington DC, Argent Laboratories Press, 1990; 454.
-  Lowry OH, Roserrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with the folin Edn, Academic Press. London and New York, phenol reagent, J Bio Chem, 1951; 193: 265-275.
-  Chih CP, Lipton P, Jr. Roberts EL. Do active cerebral neurons really use lactate rather than glucose, Trends Neurosci, 2001; 24: 573-578.
-  Misra HP, Fridovich I. The role of super oxide anion in the auto oxidation of pinephrine and simple assay of super oxide dismutase, J Biol Chem, 1972; 247: 3170-3175.
-  Takahara S, Hamilton BH, Nell JV, Kobra TY, Ogura Y, Nishimura ET. Hypocatalesemia a new genetic carrier stare, J Clin Invest, 1960: 29: 610-619.
-  Tilak JC, Devasagayam TPA Lele RD. Cardioprotective Properties of Some Indian Medicinal Plants: A Review and Possible Mechanisms. Biochem Pharmacol (in press), 2004.
-  Acharya K, Kyle M, Elser JJ. Effects of stoichiometric dietary mixing on Daphnia growth and reproduction, Oecologia., 2004; 138: 333-340.
-  Holmblad T, Soderhall K. Cell adhesion molecules and antioxidative enzymes in a crustacean, possible role in immunity, Aquaculture, 1999; 172: 111-123.
-  Wang J, Chen C. Biosorption of heavy metals by Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a review, Biotechnol Aav., 2006; 24(5): 427-51.
-  Song Y, Hsieh Y. Immunostimulation of tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) hemocytes for generation of microbicidal substances: analysis of reactive oxygen species, Dev Comp Immunol., 1994; 18: 201-209.
-  Soderhall K, Cerenius L. Crustacean immunity. Annu Rev, Fish Dis, 1992; 2: 3-23.
-  Chang YC, Chang TJ, Jiang YD, Kuo SS, Lee KC, Chiu KC, Chuang LM. Association study of the genetic polymorphisms of the transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2) gene and type 2 diabetes in the Chinese population, Diabetes, 2007; 56: 2631-2637.
-  Malinowski DP, Fridovich I. Subunit association and side-chain reactivities of bovine erythrocyte superoxide dismutase in denaturing solvents. Bio, 1979; 18: 5055-5060.
-  Arun S, Subramanian P. Antioxidant enzymes in freshwater prawn Macrobrachium malcolmsonii during embryonic and larval development, Comp Biochem Physiol, 1998; B 121: 273-277.
Publication order reference