Synthesis, Characterization and Mesomorphic Study of new Homologous Chalcone Series
Languages of publication
A new designed mesogenic homologous series of chalconyl derivative with two ring α-4-Alkoxy benzoyl-β-4/-tetradecyloxy phenyl ethylenehave been synthesized and characterized by a combination of elemental analysis and standard spectroscopic methods. In series, lower members (C5 to C8) exhibit only enantiotropicnematicmesophase but higher members (C10,C12,C14,C16,C18) exhibit enantiotropicnematic as well as smecticmesophase. The nematicmesophase (Thread type) commence from C5 homologue and smecticmesophase(smectic-A type texture) commence from C10 homologue as enantiotropic and persists up to the last member synthesized. Textures are conformed by Polarizing Optical Microscope (POM). The mesomorphic properties of present series were compared with other two structurally similar series to study the effects of change of meta and para position on the mesomorphism.
-  F. Reinitzer, Montsh 9, 421 (1888).
-  Gaikwad Prajkata P., Desai Maya T., “Liquid crystalline phase and its Pharma application” International Journal of Pharma Research and Review, Dec. 2013; 2(12); 40-52.
-  lmrie C.T and Luckhrust G.R, “Liquid Dimers and Oligomers in handbook of Liquid Crystal, law molecular liquid crystals; Vol. 2B, Demus D. , Goodby J.W., Graw G.W., Spiess H. and Vill V. eds, Willey-VCH weinhe 1998, 801-833.
-  G. Rajesh, K. Mansi, K. Srikant, B. Babasaheb, D. Nagesh, S. Kavita, C. Ajay, Chem. Pharm. Bull, 2008, 56, 897-901.
-  Dr. L.K. Omray, Current trends in Technology and Science, Vol. II, Issue: VI, Liquid Crystals as novel vesicular delivery system, A review.
-  (a) G.W. Gray (1974) In; G.W. Gray and P.A. Winsor (eds) Liquid crystal and Plastic Crystal, Chapter 4,Volume 1, pp. 103-153.
- (b) G.W. Gray and Molecular Structures and properties of liquid crystals, Academic press Landon, 1962.
-  G.W. Gray and P.A. Winster (Eds) Liquid Crystal and plastic crystals, chapter - 6.2, The role of liquid crystal in life processes by G.T. Stewart, Vol. 1, 308-326.
-  Jain Upendra K., Bhatia Rich K., RaoAkkinepally R., Ranjitsingh, Saxsena Ajit K and Sehalrun. Design and Development of Halogenated Chalcone derivatives as potential anticancer Agents. Tropical Journal of pharmaceutical Research, January 2014: 13(1), 73-80.
-  Macros M, Omenat A, Serrano J.L. and Ezcurra A. (1992). Adv. Matter, 4, 285.
-  Hird. M, Toyne. K.J, Gray G.W., Day S.E. (1993). Liq. Cryst.14, 741.
-  Gaikwad Prajkata P., Desai Maya T., “Liquid crystalline phase and its Pharma application”, International Journal of Pharma Research and Review, Dec. 2013; 2(12); 40-52.
-  Imrie, C. T., Liq. Crystal dimers. Struct. Bond 95 (1999) 149-192.
-  Dermus D., Plenary lectures 100 years of liquid crystals chemistry, Thermotropic liquid crystals with conventional and unconventional molecular structures, Liq. Cryst, 5 (1998) 75-100.
-  Calliste C.A. , Le Bail J.C., Trouilas P., Poug C., Chulia A.J., Duroux L.J., Anticancer Res. 2001, 21, 3949-3956.
-  Hird. M, Toyne. K. J, and Gray G.W., Day S.E and Mc. Donell D.G (1993). Liq. Cryst. 15, 123.
-  P.J. Collings and M. Hird (1997). Introduction of Liquid crystal chemistry and physics, Taylor and Fransis Ltd. U.K. 1998.
-  Doshi etal (i) D.M. Suthar and A.V. Doshi, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst.Vol. 575, PP. 76-83.(ii) H.N. Chauhan and A.V. Doshi, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Vol. 570, PP. 92-100 (2013) (iii) R.P. Chaudhari, M. L. Chahuan and A.V. Doshi, Vol 575, PP. 88-95 (2013) (iv) U.C. Bhoya, N.N. Vyas and A.V. Doshi, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Vol. 552. PP. 104-110 (2012).
-  D.M. Suthar, A.A. Doshi and A.V. Doshi. ”Study of liquid crystalline state and evaluation of its properties through a novel Homologous series”, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Vol. 582, PP. 79-87, 2013.
-  Nikitin K.V., Andryukhova N.P., Can. J. Chem., 82, 571, (2004).
-  Aurangzeb Hasan, Asghar Abbas, Muhammed Nadeem Akhtar, Molecule 16, 7789-7802 (2011).
-  Furniss, B.S., Hannford, A. J., Smith, P. W.G., and Tatchell, A. R. (Revisors). (1989). Vogel’s Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry (4thEd.), Longmann Singapore Publishers Pvt. Ltd.: Singapore, 563-649.
-  B.B. Jain and R.B. Patel, Dependence of Molecular Flexibility of Lateral Group on Mesomorphism. World Scientific News 40 (2016) 135-146.
-  B.B. Jain and R.B. Patel, Dependence of Mesomorphism on meta Substituted Lateral Groups. World Scientific News 40 (2016) 199-210.
Publication order reference