Seed potentition and enhancement of plant potential of a mungbean species using plant extract
Languages of publication
Pretreatment of mungbean (Vigna radiata) seeds with leaf extract of tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) for 4 hours before accelerated ageing treatment (99.5% RH and 32±2oC) for different durations for 30 days slowed down the ageing-induced rapid loss of seed germination. Plant performance was found to be much better developed from seeds which underwent plant extract pretreatment measured in terms of few reliable indices. Plant potential was also higher in the pretreatment as evidenced from the treatment-induced higher chlorophyll level as well as activity of catalase enzyme. Results, therefore, pointed out that the plant extract-pretreated seeds retained higher seed vigour and produced healthier plants inspite of experiencing accelerated ageing treatment.
-  Christensen, CM. and Kaufmann, HH. Deterioration of stored grain by fungi, Annal Review of Phytopathology, 1965; 3: 69-84
-  Halder, S.; Koley, S. and Gupta, K. On the mechanism of sunflower seed deterioration under two different types of accelerated ageing. Seed Sci. Technol. 1983; 11: 331-339
-  Basu, RN. An appraisal of research on wet and dry physiogical seed treatments and their applicability with special reference to tropical and subtropical countries. Seed Sci. Technol. 1994; 22: 107-126
-  Pati, CK., Bhattacharjee, A., Roy. P., Mahanty, DS and Panda, S. Chemical-induced seed germination and enhancement of seed potential of seven wild plant taxa of Ericaceae in India, World Scientific News 114 (2018) 249-255
-  International Seed Testing Association. International rules for seed testing. Seed Sci. Technol. 1976, 4: 51-177
-  Arnon DI. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol. 1949; 24, 1-15
-  Snell, FD and Snell, CT. Colorimetric Methods of Analysis. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York, 1971; IV AAA: 7-145.
-  Biswas, AK. and Choudhuri, MA. Differential behaviour of the flag leaf of intact rice plant during ageing. Biochem. Physiol. Pflanzen 1978; 173: 220-228
-  Fick, NG. and Qualset, CO. Genetic control of endosperm amylase activity and gibberellin responses in standard height and short statured wheat. Proceedings of National Academy of Science 1975; 72: 892-895
-  Panse, VG. and Sukhatme, PT. Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. ICAR, New Delhi. 1967; 2nd Edition, pp. 150-157.
-  Rao, RGS, Singh, PM, Singh, J and Singh, KP. Deterioration of onion seeds under accelerated ageing conditions. Indian J. Plant Physiol. 2003; Special Issue: 189-194
-  Yadav, S, Bhatia, VS and Guruprasad, KN. Role of peroxidase and catalase enzymes in deterioration of soyabean seeds due to field weathering. Indian J. Plant Physiol. 2003; Special Issue: 195-200
-  Pati, CK. and Bhattacharjee A. Chemical Manipulation for Storage Potentiation of Crop Seeds. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2013.
Publication order reference