CHARACTERISATION OF CHITOSAN AFTER CROSS-LINKING BY TANNIC ACID
Languages of publication
Chitosan is widely applied in biomedical and cosmetic fields. For this reason, there is a need to modify this biopolymer to achieve new properties of chitosan-based materials. The properties of chitosan can be modified by several cross-linking methods. In this work, we used the chemical cross-linking of chitosan with tannic acid, after which cross-linked chitosan was shaped into a 3D structure by the lyophilisation process. For the material obtained, FTIR-ATR analysis was performed to characterise the structure of cross-linked chitosan. Moreover, mechanical properties and swelling properties were measured for chitosan before and after cross-linking. The results show that several properties of chitosan can be changed after cross-linking by tannic acid. The positions of bands in the FTIR spectra of chitosan were shifted after cross-linking. Mechanical properties were altered for cross-linked chitosan. However, the highest compressive modulus was observed for pure chitosan. The lowest compressive modulus was observed for chitosan cross-linked with 20 wt% of tannic acid. Swelling behaviour also depends on the cross-linking of chitosan. It decreases for chitosan after cross-linking by tannic acid. Overall, the properties of cross-linked chitosan depend on the amount of tannic acid used for modification. This method of cross-linking can be useful for obtaining materials with specific properties.
- 1. Sionkowska A, Kaczmarek H, Wisniewski M, Skopinska J, Lazare S, Tokarev V; (2005) The influence of UV irradiation on the surface of chitosan films. Surf Sci 600, 3775-3779, DOI: 10.1016/j. susc.2006.01.090.
- 2. Sionkowska A; (2011) Current research on the blends of natural and synthetic polymers as new biomaterials: review. Prog Polym Sci 36, 1254-1276, DOI: 10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2011.05.003.
- 3. Kumbar SG, Kulkarni AR, Aminabhavi TM; (2002) Cross-linked chitosan microspheres for encapsulation of diclofenac sodium: effect of cross-linking agent. J Microencapsul 19, 173-180, DOI: 10.1080/02652040110065422.
- 4. Schiffman JD, Schauer CL; (2007) Cross-linking chitosan nanofibres. Biomacromol 8, 594-601, DOI: 10.1021/bm060804s.
- 5. Hennink WE, Nostrum CF; (2002) Novel cross-linking methods to design hydrogels. Adv Drug Deliver Rev 54, 13-36, DOI: 10.1016/S0169-409X(01)00240-X.
- 6. Rivero S, Garcia MA, Pinotti A; (2010) Cross-linking capacity of tannic acid in plasticised chitosan films. Carbohyd Polym 82, 270-276, DOI: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2010.04.048.
Publication order reference