PHYSICOCHEMICAL CHARACTERIZATION AND DISSOLUTION STUDIES OF SOLID DISPERSIONS OF CLOTRIMAZOLE WITH CHITOSAN
Languages of publication
The aim of the present study was to increase the solubility of clotrimazole. Among the methods to increase the solubility selected solid dispersions of the drug with the polymer. Chitosan was used as the polymer. Clotrimazole was incorporated into the chitosan type 652 with molar masse chitosan Mη = 429 kDa. Solid dispersions were prepared by using different ratios of clotrimazole and chitosan (1:9, 3:7, 5:5, 7:3, 9:1). Formulations were tested dissolution rate of the drug. The highest dissolution of clotrimazole, amounting to 47.95%, was observed after 60 minutes from solid dispersion prepared by grinding method and 42.84% from physical mixtures with drug-polymer weight ratio 1:9 in the presence chitosan. The solubility of the drug improved more than 37-fold. XRPD analysis indicates the presence of the clotrimazole in crystalline form in the solid dispersion obtained by kneading method.
-  Hani U. et al., (2015.) Design and optimization of clotrimazole–hydroxypropyl-b-cyclodextrin bioadhesive vaginal tablets using Anacardium occidentale gum by 32 factorial design. The Royal Society of Chemistry. 5, 35391-35404. DOI: 10.1039/C5RA04305K
-  Pradines B. et al., (2015). The unexpected increase of clotrimazole apparent solubility using randomly methylated β-cyclodextrin. Journal of Molecular Recognition. 28, 96-102. DOI: 10.1002/jmr.2432
-  Karolewicz B., Górniak A., Probst S., Owczarek A., Pluta J., Żurawska-Płaksej E.: Solid dispersions in pharmaceutical technology. Part I. Classification and methods to obtain solid dispersions. Polim. Med., 2012, 42, 17-27.
-  Czechowska-Biskup R., Jarosińska D, Rokita B, Ulański P, Rosiak JM; (2012) Determination of degree of deacetylation of chitosan -comparision of methods. Progress on Chemistry and Application of Chitin and Its Derivatives 17, 5-20.
-  Zhong L1, Zhu X, Luo X, Su W. (2013). Dissolution properties and physical characterization of telmisartan-chitosan solid dispersions prepared by mechanochemical activation. AAPS Pharm.Sci.Tech..14,541-550. DOI: 10.1208/s12249-013-9937-1.
-  Grimling B., Meler J., Szcześniak M., Pluta J., Górniak A.(2015).The study of physicochemical properties of solid dispersions of ibuprofen in the presence of chitosan. Progress on Chemistry and Application of Chitin and Its Derivatives 20, 64-72. DOI: 10.15259/PCACD.20.06
-  Islem Younes I., Rinaudo M., (2015). Chitin and chitosan preparation from marine sources. Structure, Properties and Applications. Mar. Drugs. 13, 1133-1174. DOI: 10.3390/md13031133
-  Kumirska J. , Czerwicka M., Kaczyński Z., 1, Bychowska Anna, Brzozowski K, Jorg Thöming and Stepnowski T (2010) Application of Spectroscopic Methods for Structural Analysis of Chitin and Chitosan Mar. Drugs, 8, 1567-1636; DOI:10.3390/md8051567
-  Kadavakollu S. et al., 2014. Clotrimazole as a cancer drug: A short review. Medicinal Chemistry. 4, 722-724 DOI:10.4172/2161-0444.1000219
-  Paluszkiewicz C, Stodolak E, Hasik M, Blazewicz M., (2011). FT-IR study of montmorillonite-chitosan nanocomposite materials. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 15,79(4):784-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.saa.2010.08.053.
-  Saniyat Islam, Lyndon Arnold, and Rajiv Padhye, 2015 Comparison and Characterisation of Regenerated Chitosan from 1-Butyl-3-methylimidazolium Chloride and Chitosan from Crab Shells Biomed Res Int. 874316. DOI: 10.1155/2015/874316
Publication order reference