Experimental and computational study of levofloxacin as corrosion inhibitor for carbon steel in acidic media
Languages of publication
The corrosion inhibition behaviour of levofloxacin was investigated on carbon steel in 2 M HCl solution using potentiodynamic polarization measurement and Quantum chemical studies. The inhibitive effects of the studied compound increases with increasing concentration and increased with increasing temperature, the study revealed that levofloxacin is a mixed-type corrosion inhibitor. The adsorption of levofloxacin on carbon steel surface obey Langmuir adsorption isotherm and involve physical adsorption mechanism. Quantum chemical studies corroborate experimental results.
-  Abdullatef, O. A. (2015). Chemical and Electrochemical Studies on the corrosion of mild steel, copper and Zinc in 0.5 M H2SO4 Solution in presence of Azithromycin as effective corrosion inhibitor. Journal of Advances in Chemistry, 11 (6), 3642- 3655.
-  Akpan, I. A. & Offiong, N. O. (2014a). Electrochemical study of the corrosion of mild steel in hydrochloric acid by Amlodipine Drugs. International Journal of Chemistry and Materials Research, 2 (3), 23-29.
-  Akpan, I. A. & Offiong, N. O. (2014b). Electrochemical investigation of the inhibitory action of Ciprofloxacin Drugs on the acid corrosion of mild steel. Chemical and Process Engineering Research, 26, 20-23.
-  Ameh, P. O., Ukoha, P., Ejikeme, P. & Eddy N.O. (2016). Thermodynamic, chemical and Electrochemical investigation of 4-hydrobenzoic acid as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel corrosion in hydrochloric acid solution. Industrial Chemistry, 2(2), 2469-9764.
-  Bhawsar, J., Jain, P. K. and Jain, P. (2015). Experimental and Computational Studies of Nicotiana tabacum leaves extract as green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acidic medium. Alexandria Engineering Journal 54 (2015) 769-775.
-  A. S. Fouda, F. Sh. Mohamed, M. W. El-Sherbeni (2016). Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminnum-Silicon Alloy in Hydrochloric Acid Solutions Using Carbamide Thioanhydride Derivatives. Journal of Bio and Tribo-Corrosion, 2, 11. doi:10.1007/s40735-016-0039-y
-  Kumar, S., Vashisht, H., Olasunkanmi, L. O., Bahadur, I., Verma, H., Singh, G., Obot, I. B. and Ebenso, E. E. (2016). Experimental and Theoretical studies on the inhibition of mild steel corrosion by some synthesized polyurethane tri-block co-polymers. Scientific Reports, 6, 30937. doi:101038/srep30937.
-  Naqvi, I., Saleemi, A. R. and Naveed, S.(2011). Cefixime: A drug as efficient corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acidic media. Electrochemical thermodynamic studies. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 6 (2011), 146-161
-  Okafor, P. C., Ebenso, E. E. & Ekpe, U. J. (2010). Azadirachta indica extracts as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acid medium. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 5, 978-993.
-  Siaka, A. A., Eddy, N. O., Idris, S. O., Magaji, L., Garba, Z. N. & Shabanda, I. S. (2013). Quantum Chemical Studies of corrosion inhibition and adsorption potentials of Amoxicillin on mild steel in HCl solution. International Journal of Modern Chemistry, 4(1), 1-10.
-  Krzysztof Rokosz, Tadeusz Hryniewicz, Stanisław Trzeszczkowski, Comparative Corrosion Study of Austenitic AISI 304L and 316Ti Stainless Steels in the Ammonium nitrate/Urea Solution (AUS). World Scientific News 49(2) (2016) 249-271
-  Krzysztof Rokosz, Tadeusz Hryniewicz, Michał Uran. A Study of Corrosion Behavior of Austenitic AISI 304L and 316Ti Stainless Steels in the Animal Slurry. World Scientific News 50 (2016) 174-185
-  Xue Hui Pang, WenJuan Guo, Wei Hua Li, Jian Dong Xie, Bao Rong Hou. Electrochemical, quantum chemical and SEM investigation of the inhibiting effect and mechanism of ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin and ofloxacin on the corrosion for mild steel in hydrochloric acid. Science in China Series B: Chemistry October 2008, Volume 51, Issue 10, pp 928–936
-  Sykes J M. 25 years of progress in electrochemicalmethods. Br Corros J, 1990, 25(4): 175–183
-  Sinko J. Challenges of chromate inhibitor pigments replacement in organic coatings. Prog Org Coat, 2001, 42(3–4): 267–282
-  Sekine I, Nakahata Y, Tanabe H. The corrosion inhibition of mild steel by ascorbic and folic acids. Corros Sci, 1988, 28(10): 987–1001
-  Bendahou M, Benabdellah M, Hammouti B. A study of rosemary oil as a green corrosion inhibitor for steel in 2 M H3 PO4. Pig Res Tech, 2006, 35(2): 95–100
-  Moretti G, Guidi F, Grion G. Tryptamine as a green iron corrosion inhibitor in 0.5 M deaerated sulphuric acid. Corros Sci, 2004, 46(2): 387–403
-  Bethencourt M, Botana F J, Calvino J J, Marcos M, Rodríguez-Chacón M A. Lanthanide compounds as environmentally friendly corrosion inhibitors of aluminium alloys: A review. Corros Sci, 1998, 40(11): 1803–1819
-  Pandian B R, Mathur G S. Inhibitive effect of black pepper extract on the sulphuric acid corrosion of mild steel. Mater Lett, 2008, 62(17–18): 2977–2979
-  El-Etre A Y. Inhibition of aluminum corrosion using Opuntia extract. Corros Sci, 2003, 45(11): 2485–2495
-  Lebrini M, Lagrenée M, Vezin H, Gengembre L, Bentiss F. Electrochemical and quantum chemical studies of new thiadiazole derivatives adsorption on mild steel in normal hydrochloric acid medium. Corros Sci, 2005, 47(2): 485–505
-  Hosseini M, Mertens S F L, Ghorbani M, Arshadi M R. Asymmetrical Schiff bases as inhibitors of mild steel corrosion in sulphuric acid media. Mater Chem Phys, 2003, 78(3): 800–808
Publication order reference