The Twofold Trouble – A Case of Fissured Tongue Syndrome
Languages of publication
The tongue plays a vital role in deglutition, taste and speech. An abnormality or unhealthy tongue would make food intake troublesome, thereby depriving the individual of adequate essential nutrients. A fissured tongue is a malformation characterized by furrows or grooves on the dorsum of the tongue. On the other hand, geographic tongue is a benign recurrent condition of uncertain aetiology affecting the tongue characterized by loss of epithelium especially filiform papillae giving a characteristic appearance. These conditions may be asymptomatic or cause of discomfort to the patient. There are seldom case reports in literature of having seen these two conditions concurrently.
-  Pauly G, Kashyap RR, Kini R, Rao PK, Bhandarkar GP. Knowing the grooves: A case of a fissured tongue. Oral Health and Care. 2017; 2(2): 1.
-  Assimakopoulos D, Patrikakos G, Fotika C, Elisaf M. Benign Migratory Glossitis or Geographic Tongue: An Enigmatic Oral Lesion. Am J Med. 2002; 113: 751–5.
-  Yarom N, Cantony U, Gorsky M. Prevalence of fissured tongue, geographic tongue and median rhomboid glossitis among Israeli adults of different ethnic origins. Dermatol 2004; 209: 88-94.
-  Goswami M, Verma A, Verma M. Benign migratory glossitis with fissured tongue. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2012; 30: 173-5.
-  Kaminagakura E, Jorge J Jr. Melkersson Rosenthal syndrome: A histopathologic mystery and dermatologic challenge. J Cutan Pathol. 2011; 38: 241-5.
-  Bhat VS. Fissured tongue to worry or not to worry? Otolaryngology Online Journal 2016; 6(3): 136.
-  Sudarshan R, Vijayabala GS, Samata Y, Ravikiran A. Newer classification system for fissured tongue: an epidemiological approach. J Trop Med. 2015: 1-5.
-  Rathee M, Hooda A, Kumar A. Fissured tongue: a case report and review of literature. Internet J Nutr Wellness. 2009; 10: 1-4.
-  Pauly G, Kashyap RR, Bhandarkar GP, Kini R, Rao PK, Holla VA. Diffuse Fissured Tongue: The Incidental Icelands - A Case Report. J Oral Biol. 2018; 5(1): 2.
Publication order reference