BIOSORPTION/DESORPTION OF CADMIUM(II) AND ZINC (II) FROM AQUEOUS SOLUTIONS BY ACTIVATED SLUDGE IMMOBILIZED ONTO CHITOSAN BEADS
Languages of publication
In this study, we evaluated the effectiveness of cadmium and zinc adsorption and desorption from solutions containing single metals and a mixture of metals in the ratio of 1:2 by activated sludge immobilized onto chitosan (ASC). The optimal pH value determined for metals adsorption ranged from pH 5 to pH 6, whereas that established for desorption reached pH 2. In the case of individual metals, the state of adsorption equilibrium in the solution was achieved after 180 min, whereas in the case of a metal mixture – after 270 min. In the case of desorption, the state of equilibrium was achieved after 45 min. It was stated that both adsorption and desorption proceeded according to the pseudo-second order reaction. The study enabled determining the maximum adsorption capacity based on Langmuir, Freundlich and Sips models. The Sips model was found suitable for the description of adsorption of single metals onto ASC, whereas both Sips and Freundlich models – for description of the adsorption of a metal mixture, which was indicated by the determined values of R2 coefficient. The adsorption capacity of ASC determined from Sips model for individual solutions of cadmium and zinc reached 216 and 188.3 mg/g d.m., respectively, whereas that determined for their mixture reached 106 mg/g d.m. for both metals.
- 1. Stiannopkao S, Sreesai S; (2009) Utilization of pulp and paper industrial wastes to remove heavy matals from metal finishing wastewater. J Environ Manage 90, 3283 –3289. DOI: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2009.05.006
- 2. Amer MW, Khalili FI, Awwad AM; (2010) Adsorption of lead, zinc and cadmium ions on polyphosphate-modified kaolinite clay. J Environ Chem Ecotoxic 2, 001-008.
- 3. Shin WS, Kang K, Kim YK; (2014) Adsorption characteristics of multi-metal ions by red mud, zeolite, limestone, and oyster shell. Environ Eng Res 19(1), 15–22.
- 4. Hamed MA, El-Sherbini KhSA, Soliman YA, El-Deek MS, Emara MM, El-Sawy MA; (2011) Preconcentration and separation of some heavy metal ions by solid-phase extraction using silica modified with zirconium phosphate. J Environ Chem Ecotoxic 3(10), 250–263.
- 5. Zaitseva N, Zaitsev V, Walcarius A; (2013) Chromium(VI) removal via reduction-sorption on bi-functional silica adsorbents. J Hazard Mater 250-251, 454–461. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2013.02.019
- 6. Kanawade SM, Gaikwad RW; (2011) Adsorption of heavy metals by activated carbon synthesized from solid wastes. Inter J Chem Eng Appl 2 (3), 207–211. DOI: 10.7763/IJCEA.2011.V2.104
- 7. Faudi NABt, Ibrahim AS, Ismail KN; (2012) Review study for activated carbon from polm shell used for treatment of waste water. Journal of Purity, Utility Reaction and Environment 1(5), 252 – 266.
- 8. Wang T, Sun H; (2013) Biosorption of heavy metals from aqueous solution by UV-mutant Bacillus subtilis. Environ Sci Pollut Res 20, 7450–7463. DOI: 10.1007/s11356-013-1767-x
- 9. Freitas APP, Schneider IAH, Schwartzbold A; (2011) Biosorption of heavy metals by algal communities in water streams affected by the acid mine drainage in the coal-mining region of Santa Catarina state, Brazil. Mineral Eng 24(11), 1215–1218. DOI: 10.1016/j.mineng.2011.04.013
- 10. Plaza Cazón J, Viera M, Donati E, Guibal E; (2013) Zinc and cadmium removal by biosorption on Undaria pinnatifida in batch and continuous processes. J Environ Manage 129, 423–434.
- 11. Lang W, Buranaboripan W, Wongchawalit J, Parakulsuksatid P, Vanichsriratana W, Sakairi N, Pathom-Aree W, Sirisansaneeyakul S; (2013) Biosorption of lead from acid solution using chitosan as a supporting material for spore forming-fungal biomass encapsulation. Int J Environ Sci Technol 10, 579–590. DOI: 10.1007/s13762-012-0148-1
- 12. El-Shafey EI; (2010) Removal of Zn(II) and Hg(II) from aqueous solution on a carbonaceous sorbent chemically prepared from rice husk. J Hazard Mat 175, 319 – 327. DOI: :10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.10.006
- 13. Ivanov AA, Yudina NV, Savel’eva AV, Sizova NV; (2013) Adsorption Properties of Modified Peat toward Organic Compounds and Heavy Metals. Solid Fuel Chem 47, 288–291. DOI: 10.3103/S0361521913050042
- 14. Do X, Lee B; (2013) Removal of Pb2ţ using a biochar–alginate capsule in aqueous solution and capsule regeneration. J Environ Manage 131, 375–382. DOI: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2013.09.045
- 15. Kamari A, Pulford ID, Hargreaves JSJ; (2011) Binding of heavy metal contaminants onto chitosans e An evaluation for remediation of metal contaminated soil and water J Environ Manage 92, 2675–2682.
- 16. Shaheen SM , Eissa FI, Ghanem KM, Gamal El-Din HM, Al Anany FS; (2013) Heavy metals removal from aqueous solutions and wastewaters by using various byproducts. J Environ Manage 128, 514–521.
- 17. Beaulieu C; (2007) The multiple effects of chitosan. Phytoterapie 5, 38–45.
- 18. Crini G, Badot P; (2008) Application of chitosan, a natural aminopolysacharide, for dye removal from aqueous solutions by adsorption processes using batch studies: A review of recent literature. Prog Polym Sci 33, 399 – 447. DOI: 10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2007.11.001
- 19. Khosravan A, Lashkari B; (2011) Adsorption of Cd(II) by Dried Activated Sludge. Iranian J Chem Eng 8(2), 41–56.
- 20. Ong S, Toorisaka E, Hirata M, Hano T; (2013) Comparative study on kinetic adsorption of Cu(II), Cd(II) and Ni(II) ions from aqueous solutions using activated sludge and dried sludge. Appl Water Sci 3,321–325.
- 21. Gadd GM; (2008) Biosorption: critical review of scientific rationale, environmental importance and significance for pollution treatment. J Chem Technol Biotechnol 84, 13–28. DOI: 10.1002/jctb.1999
- 22. Liu Y, Liao T, He Z, Li T, Wang H, Hu X, Guo Y, He Y; (2013) Biosorption of copper(II) from aqueous solution by Bacillus subtilis cells immobilized into chitosan beads. Trans Nonferrous Met Soc China 23, 1804−1814.
- 23. Wan M, Wang C, Chen C; (2013) The Adsorption Study of Copper Removal by Chitosan-Coated Sludge Derived from Water Treatment Plant. Int J Enviro Sci Dev 4(5),77-85.
- 24. Rangel-Mendeza JR, Monroy-Zepedab R, Leyva-Ramosb E, Diaz-Floresa PE, Shirai K; (2009) Chitosan selectivity for removing cadmium (II), copper (II), and lead (II) from aqueous phase: pH and organic matter effect. J Hazard Mater 162, 503–511. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.05.073
- 25. Stanley WI, Watters GG, Chan B; (1975) Lactase and other enzymes Bound to chitin with glutaraldehyde. Biotechnol Bioeng XVII, 315–325.
- 26. Annadurai G, Ling LY, Lee JF; (2008)Adsorption of reactive dye from an aqueous solution by chitosan: Isotherm, kinetic and thermodynamic analysis. J Hazard Mater 152, 337–346. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.07.002
- 27. Li Y, Yue Q, Gao B; (2010) Adsorption kinetics and desorption of Cu(II) and Zn(II) from aqueous solution onto humic acid. J Hazard Mater 178, 455–461. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.01.103
- 28. Benaïssa H, Elouchdi M.A; (2011) Biosorption of copper (II) ions from synthetic aqueous solutions by drying bed activated sludge. J Hazard Mater 194, 69–78. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.07.063
- 29. Njikam E, Schiewer S; (2012) Optimization and kinetic modeling of cadmium desorption from citrus peels: A process for biosorbent regeneration. J Hazard Mater 213 – 214, 242– 248. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2012.01.084
- 30. Deng PY, Liu W, Zeng BQ, Qiu YK, Li LS; (2013) Sorption of heavy metals from aqueous solution by dehydrated powders of aquatic plants. Int J Environ Sci Technol 10, 559–566. DOI: 10.1007/s13762-013-0186-3
- 31. Pérez-Marín AB, Zapata V M, Ortuño JF, Aguilar M, Sáez J, Lloréns M; (2007) Removal of cadmium from aqueous solutions by adsorption onto orange waste. J Hazard Mater 139, 122–131.
- 32. Kwak D, Kim M; (2013) Evaluation on Feasibility of Sintered Cattle Bone Powder as a Heavy Metal Adsorbent.Mater Sci Appl 4, 12–17.
Publication order reference