Photochemical investigation of elements in Oryza sativa
Languages of publication
Short white rice grains produced locally from Mahaica, Guyana were collected from the rice farm and analyzed for ten trace elements by flame atomic absorption spectrometer. The concentrations of the trace elements investigated are as follows: - Ca (76.81), Mg (54.30), Fe (28.2), Cu (4.90), Zn (71.16) and Mn (14.33) mg/Kg. There had been controversial reports about the toxic elements normally present in the rice produced in different areas and conditions. The other four toxic elements As, Co, Pb and Al were also analyzed but not detected. With reference to the literature on the maximum daily intakes for human consumption, the concentration levels were all below the literature except for zinc and manganese
- Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Guyana, Turkeyen Campus, Georgetown, P.O Box 101110, Guyana, South America
- Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Guyana, P.O.Box 101110, Turkeyen Campus, Georgetown, Guyana
-  Te-zu Chang, II.A.7. Rice. The Cambridge World History of Food (2008).
-  FAO. Rice and Human Health, Food and Agriculture Organization of United nations, Italy (2004).
-  K. O. Soetan , C. O. Olaiya and O. E. Oyewole, African Journal of Food Science 4(5) (2010) 200-222.
-  [M. Mertz, The essential trace elements Science 213(4514) (1981) 1332-1338.
-  World Health Organization, Trace elements in human nutrition and health (1996) http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/micronutrients/9241561734/en/
-  Joint FAO/WHO, Committee on Food Additives 67th Meeting Rome, available at ftp://ftp.fao.org/ag/agn/jecfa/jecfa67_final.pdf. (2006)
-  C. Fraga, Molecular Aspects of Medicine 26 (2005) 235-244.
-  K. Smith, H. Huyck, Environmental Geochemistry of Mineral Deposit (1999).
-  R. K. Rude. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 13(4) (1998) 749-758.
-  P. Apostoli, P. Kiss, S. Porru, J. Bonde, M. Vanhoorne, Occup. Environ. Med. 55 (1998) 364-374.
-  M. Jung, S. Yun., J. Lee, Environmental Geochemistry and Health (2005) 455-464.
-  L. Jorhem, C. Astrand, B. Sundstorm, M. Baxter, P. Stokes, J. Lewis, K.P. Grave, JECFA (2007), Food Additives and Contaminants.
Publication order reference