Endomycorrhizal studies in Curcuma aeruginosa Roxb. of Kerala, India
Languages of publication
This is the first report of an ecological investigation on endomycorrhizal symbiosis in Curcuma aeruginosa, a medicinally and nutritionally important herb. Samples were collected from the field, where the plant grows under natural condition. AM fungal and soil fertility parameters were analysed as per standard methods. Altogether 16 different AM fungal species from seven different soil series are discovered. AM fungal species composition varied among soil series. Species richness of AM fungi was positively correlated with organic carbon content of soil. Shannon's diversity index and Simpson's index in the study area were measured. High intensity of AM fungal colonization in the roots of naturally growing C. aeruginosa suggests the need of proper management of the association in its cultivation practices also. Data obtained from the present investigation may help for the development of native AM fungi based biofertilizer based for a sustainable soil fertility management and cultivation of the crop.
-  G.R. Angel, B. Vimala, B. Nambisan, Phenolic content and antioxidant activity in five underutilized starchy Curcuma species. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research 4 (2012) 69–73
-  Y. Liu, S.S. Roy, R.H.C. Nebie, Y. Zhang, M.G. Nair, Functional Food Quality of Curcuma caesia , Curcuma zedoaria and Curcuma aeruginosa Endemic to Northeastern India. Plant Foods Human Nutrition 68 (2013) 72–77
-  S. Srivastava, N. Chitranshi, S. Srivastava, Ma. Dan, A. Rawat, P. Pushpangadan, Pharmacognostic evaluation of Curcuma aeruginosa Roxb. Natural Products Science 12 (2006) 162–165
-  B. Vimala, B. Nambisan, Variability of Rhizome Yield and Biochemical Characters of Some Starchy Curcuma Species. Joural of Root Crops 36 (2010) 189–193
-  W. Moon-ai, P. Niyomploy, A Superoxide Dismutase Purified from the Rhizome of Curcuma aeruginosa Roxb. as Inhibitor of Nitric Oxide Production in the Macrophage-like RAW 264. 7 Cell Line. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 166 (2012) 2138–2155
-  T.S.A.T. Kamazeri, O.A. Samah, M. Taher, D. Susanti, H. Qaralleh, Antimicrobial activity and essential oils of Curcuma aeruginosa , Curcuma mangga , and Zingiber cassumunar from Malaysia. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine (2012) 202–209
-  S. Hempel, L. Gotzenberger, I. Kuhn, S.G. Michalski, M.C. Rillig, M. Zobel, M. Moora, Mycorrhizas in the Central European flora: Relationships with plant life history traits and ecology. Ecology 94 (2013) 1389–1399. doi:10.1890/12-1700.1
-  L.K. Abbott, A.D. Robson, The role of vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in agriculture and the selection of fungi for inoculation. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 33 (1982) 389–408. doi:10.1071/AR9820389
-  M. Gerz, C.G. Bueno, M. Zobel, M. Moora, Plant community mycorrhization in temperate forests and grasslands : relations with edaphic properties and plant diversity. Journal of Vegetation Science 27 (2016) 89–99. doi:10.1111/jvs.12338
-  N. Valsalakumar, J.G. Ray, V.P. Potty, Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi Associated with Green Gram in South India Identification of Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi. Agronomy Journal 99 (2007) 1260–1265. doi:10.2134/agronj2006.0367
-  G. Mahecha-Vásquez, S. Sierra, R. Posada, Diversity indices using arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi to evaluate the soil state in banana crops in Colombia. Applied Soil Ecology 109 (2017) 32–39. doi:10.1016/j.apsoil.2016.09.017
-  S.P. Khodke, Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and dark septate endophytic association in Curcuma species, International Journal of Innovations in Bio-Sciences 3 (2013) 6–9
-  J.W. Gerdemann, T.. Nicolson, Spores of mycorrhizal endogone species extracted from soil gy wet sieving and decanting. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 46 (1963) 235–244
-  G.W. Smith, H.D. Skipper, Comparison of methods to extract spores of vesicular arbuscular fungi. Soil Science Society of America Journal 43 (1979) 1979
-  I.R. Hall, B.J. Fish, A key to the Endogonaceae. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 73 (1979) 261–270
-  N.C. Schenk, Y. Perez, Manual for the Identification of VA Mycorrhizal Fungi, Synergistic Publications, USA, Gainesville, 1988.
-  D. Redecker, A. Schüßler, H. Stockinger, S.L. Stürmer, J.B. Morton, C. Walker, An evidence-based consensus for the classification of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (Glomeromycota). Mycorrhiza 23 (2013) 515–531
-  A. Schüßler, C. Walker, The Glomeromycota: a species list with new families, Glomeromycota a Species List with New Fam. (2010) 1–56. http://www.amf-phylogeny.com (accessed July 19, 2016).
-  INVAM, International Culture Collection of (Vesicular) Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi - Establishment of Monospecific Cultures, (2016) 2016. http://invam.wvu.edu/methods/cultures/single-species-cultures (accessed August 25, 2016).
-  J.M. Philips, D.S. Hayman, Improved procedure for clearing roots and staining parasitic VAM for rapid assessment of infection. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 55 (1970) 158–161
-  K. Chen, W. Liu, S. Guo, R. Liu, M. Li, Diversity of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in continuous cropping soils used for pepper production. African Journal of Microbiology Research 6 (2012) 2469–2474. doi:10.5897/AJMR11.1532
-  P.D. Stiling, Ecology : global insights & investigations, The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., 1221 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, 2012.
-  D.L. Sparks, Methods of soil analysis: Part 3 - Chemical methods, SSSA Book Ser No. 5, Madison., 1996.
-  R.H. Bray, L.T. Kurtz, Determination of total, organic and available forms of phosphorus in soils. Soil Science 59 (1945) 39–45
-  M.L. Jackson, Chemical Analysis, Asia Publishing House, New Delhi, New Delhi, 1967.
-  A. Walkley, I.A. Black, An examination of the degtjareff method for determining soil organic matter and proposed modification of chromic acid titration method. Soil Science 37 (1934) 29–38
-  Soil Survey Organization, Benchmark soils of Kerala. Agriculture Department, Government of Kerala., Agriculture Department, Government of Kerala, 2007.
Publication order reference