Worm Gear Drive optimization Considering Industry Constraints Based on Nature Inspired Algorithms
Languages of publication
This paper presents a novel method to obtain optimum design for a worm gear drive used in sugar industries taking into account certain constraints of industrial relevance. The objective of this research is to minimize volume of worm gear drive. Gear ratio, face width and pitch circle diameters of worm and worm wheel are considered as design variables. Industry relevant constraints viz. gear strength capacity, wear capacity, thermal capacity, dynamic load, self locking, and face width are considered. Besides this other constraints such as maximum power transmission capacity, centre distances, deflection of worm and beam strength of worm are also considered. Nature inspired optimization algorithms, namely, Simulated Annealing (SA), Firefly (FA), Cuckoo Search (CS) and MATLAB solvers fmincon and GA are used for solving this problem in MATLAB environment. Results of simulation are analysed and presented.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, Loyola - ICAM College of Engineering and Technology, Chennai – 600034, India
- Department of Automobile Engineering, Dr. Mahalingam College of Engineering and Technology, Pollachi – 642 003. India
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, EGS Pillay Engineering College, Nagapattinam – 611002, India
- Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Bahi Dar Institute of Technology, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
-  V. Savsani, R. V. Rao and D. P. Vakharia, Optimal weight design of a gear train using particle swarm optimization and simulated annealing algorithms. Mechanism and machine theory, 45 (2010) 531–541
-  C. Gologlu and M. Zeyveli, A genetic approach to automate preliminary design of gear drives. Computers & Industrial Engineering 57 (2009) 1043-1051.
-  T. H. Chong and J. S. Lee, A design method of gear trains using a genetic algorithm, International journal of the korean society of precision engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, Pp. 62-70, 2000.
-  R. Li, T. Chang, J. Wang and X. Wei, Multi-objective optimization design of gear reducer based on adaptive genetic algorithm, 978-1-4244-1651-6, IEEE, 2008.
-  Daizhong Su and Wenjie Peng, Optimum Design of Worm Gears with Multiple Computer Aided Techniques, ICCES, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 221-227, 2008.
-  Y. K. Mogal and V. D. Wakchaure, A Multi-objective Optimization Approach for Design of Worm and Worm Wheel Based on Genetic Algorithm. Bonfring International Journal of Man Machine Interface, Vol. 3, No. 1, March 2013.
-  X. S. Yang, Fireﬂy algorithms for multimodal optimization, in: Stochastic Algorithms: Foundations and Applications, SAGA 2009, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2009 5792, 169-178.
-  Yang X. S. and Deb S,, Engineering optimization by cuckoo search, Int. J. Math. Modelling & Numerical Optimisation, 2010 1, pp. 330-343.
-  Seyedali Mirjalili, Moth-flame optimization algorithm: A novel nature-inspired heuristic paradigm. Knowledge-Based Systems, Volume 89, November 2015, Pages 228-249
-  Amir Hossein Gandomi, Xin-She Yang, Amir Hossein Alavi, Mixed variable structural optimization using Firefly Algorithm. Computers & Structures, Volume 89, Issues 23–24, December 2011, Pages 2325-2336
-  A. Rezaee Jordehi. Brainstorm optimisation algorithm (BSOA): An efficient algorithm for finding optimal location and setting of FACTS devices in electric power systems. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Volume 69, July 2015, Pages 48-57
-  Aziz Ouaarab, Belaïd Ahiod, Xin-She Yang. Discrete cuckoo search algorithm for the travelling salesman problem. Neural Computing and Applications, June 2014, Volume 24, Issue 7–8, pp 1659–1669
-  J. Belwin Edward, N. Rajasekar, K. Sathiyasekar, N. Senthilnathan, R. Sarjila. An enhanced bacterial foraging algorithm approach for optimal power flow problem including FACTS devices considering system loadability. ISA Transactions Volume 52, Issue 5, September 2013, Pages 622-628
-  Bacanin, N., Tuba, M.: Artificial bee colony (ABC) algorithm for constrained optimization improved with genetic operators. Stud. Inf. Control 21(2), 137–146 (2012)
-  Brajevic, I., Tuba, M.: An upgraded artificial bee colony algorithm (ABC) for constrained optimization problems. J. Intell. Manuf. 24(4), 729–740 (2013)
-  Dai, C., Chen, W., Song, Y., Zhu, Y.: Seeker optimization algorithm: a novel stochastic search algorithm for global numerical optimization. J. Syst. Eng. Electron. 21(2), 300–311 (2010)
-  Dominguez, A.R., Nandi, A.K.: Detection of masses in mammograms via statistically based enhancement, multilevel-thresholding segmentation, and region selection. Comput. Med. Imaging Graph. 32(4), 304–315 (2008)
-  Dorigo, M., Gambardella, L.M.: Ant colonies for the travelling salesman problem. Biosystems 43(2), 73–81 (1997)
-  Gandomi, A.H., Yang, X.S., Alavi, A.H.: Mixed variable structural optimization using firefly algorithm. Comput. Struct. 89(23–24), 2325–2336 (2011)
-  Gandomi, A.H., Yang, X.S.: Evolutionary boundary constraint handling scheme. Neural Comput. Appl. 21(6, SI), 1449–1462 (2012)
-  Gandomi, A.H., Yang, X.S., Alavi, A.H.: Cuckoo search algorithm: a metaheuristic approach to solve structural optimization problems. Eng. Comput. 29(1), 17–35 (2013)
-  Gandomi, A.H., Yang, X.S., Talatahari, S., Alavi, A.H.: Firefly algorithm with chaos. Commun. Nonlinear Sci. Numer. Simul. 18(1), 89–98 (2013)
-  Hammouche, K., Diaf, M., Siarry, P.: A comparative study of various meta-heuristic techniques applied to the multilevel thresholding problem. Eng. Appl. Artif. Intell. 23(5), 676–688 (2010)
-  Jaynes, E.T.: Information theory and statistical mechanics. Phys. Rev. Ser. II 106(4), 620–630 (1957)
-  Sathya, P.D., Kayalvizhi, R.: Modified bacterial foraging algorithm based multilevel thresholding for image segmentation. Eng. Appl. Artif. Intell. 24(4), 595–615 (2011)
Publication order reference