The impact of 3 months workout on cardiovascular capacity of a female amateur cross country skier. Case study
Languages of publication
The efficiency in cross-country skiing commit considerable physiological challenges posed by the combined upper- and lower-body effort of varying intensity and duration. Extremely important for the effectiveness of the work is the ability to draw energy from the processes of aerobic and anaerobic metabolism maintenance work as low as possible during prolonged exercise. The workout should increase maximal aerobic power and the metabolic potential of the muscles. High-intensity exercise is the most important to initiate this change, while low- and moderate-intensity effort allow appropriate muscle adaptation. Monitoring and evaluation of these physiological changes is mandatory in the process of training, in amateur cross-country skier too. Amateur marathons are becoming increasingly popular. This has been an impulse for analyzing the results obtained by the amateur athlete during the preparatory period. The purpose of this retrospective case study was to describe changes in cardiovascular capacity for three months period of an amateur cross-country skier (age = 39, BMI = 20,9). This study based on analysis of source materials, obtained from conducted individually by the athlete registration process of training, the results from test to refuse and the results of measurements of body composition performed in the laboratory functional studies for three months period (preparation period). The results show inter alia increase in maximal oxygen uptake, lactate threshold shift towards higher loads and decrease body weight. This parameter was significantly lower than the performance in highly qualified competitors, but individual changes between the first measurement and the second one was similar. This review summarizes research on amateur cross-country skier. We have the chance to improve our understanding of the impact of various exercises on the human body by analyzing the results from workout monitoring of endurance athletes.
-  Ø. Sandbakk, International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance 12(2) (2017) 254-259
-  M. Carlsson, H. Assarsson, T. Carlsson, Journal of Sports Medicine 7 (2016) 11-19
-  U. Bergh, A. Forsberg, Endurance in sport. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publishers (1992) 570-581
-  S. Trappe, E. Hayes, A. Galpin, L. Kaminsky, B. Jemiolo, W. Fink, P. Tesch, Journal of Applied Physiology 114(1) (2013) 3-10
-  T. Carlsson, M. Carlsson, D. Hammarström, B. Rønnestad, C. Malm, M. Tonkonogi Journal of Sports Medicine 6 (2015) 353-360
-  P. Hofmann, P. Rochus, International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance 5 (2010) 437-447
-  G. Ettema, H.C. Holmberg, Ø. Sandbakk, Europan journal of applied physiology 1 (2011) 947-957.
-  D. Fukuda, R. Hetrick, K. Kendall, A. Smith-Ryan, M. Jackson, J. Stout, Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine Physiological Measurement 35(1) (2014).
-  U. Bergh, A. Forsberg, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 24(9) (1992) 1033-1039.
-  H. Hoppeler, H. Howald, K. Conley, S.L. Lindstedt, H. Claassen, P. Vock International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance 59 (2) (1985) 320-327
-  G. Ettema, H.C. Holmberg, Ø. Sandbakk, Europan journal of applied physiology, 1 (2011) 947-957
-  T. Losnegard, K. Mikkelsen, B.R. Rønnestad, J. Hallén, B. Rud, Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports 21 (2011) 389-401
-  P. Larsson, K. Henriksson-Larsén, Vock International Journal of Sports and Medicine 29 (2008) 971-975
-  H. Holmberg, H. Rosdah, J. Svedenhag, Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports 17(4) (2007) 437-44
-  N. Mahood, R. Kenefick, R. Kertzer, T. Quinn, Medicine and Science in Sports Exercise 33(8) (2001) 1379-84
-  T. Held, B. Marti, International Journal of Sports and Medicine 20(1) (1999) 34-39
-  B. Bilodeau, B. Roy, M. Boulay, Medicine and Science in Sports Exercise 27(11) (1995) 1557-1562
-  T. Stöggl, B. Sperlich, Front Physiology (2014).
-  N. Grzebisz, World Scientific News 45(2) (2016) 342-354
-  S.K. Papadopoulou, A. Gouvianaki, MG. Grammatikopoulou, Asian Journal of Sports Medicine 3(4) (2012) 257-266
-  M.J. Gibala, J.P. Little, M.J. Macdonald, J. A. Hawley, The Journal of Physiology 590(5) (2012) 1077-1084
-  N. Grzebisz, World Scientific News 48 (2016) 199-205
Publication order reference