Adsorption and adsorption isotherm: application to corrosion inhibition studies of mild steel in 2 M HCl
Languages of publication
Ethanollic extract of Phyllanthus amarus (EEPA) was tested as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in 2 M HCl solution using gravimetric and gasometric methods at 303, 313, 323 K and 333 K. The results revealed that the corrosion rate increases with temperature and time. Addition of the concentration of ethanollic extract of Phyllanthus amarus to the corroding environment lowered the corrosion rate of mild steel and increased inhibition efficiency (IE %) of ethanollic extract. Inhibition efficiency was found to decreased with temperature. Fitting of the experimental data to the Arrhenius and Transition state equations revealed that the Organic constituents of the extract were physically adsorbed on the corroding surface of the steel and adsorption of ethanollic extract of Phyllanthus amarus (EEPA) on mild steel surface was found to obey the Langmuir adsorption isotherm and Freundlich adsorption isotherm and sign of the Gibb’s fee energy of the adsorption obtained suggested that inhibitor molecules have been spontaneously adsorbed onto the mild steel surface. Positive values obtained for enthalpy change indicated that the adsorption of inhibitor is endothermic.
-  Atkins, P. and depaula J., Physical Chemistry, 8th edition,Oxfort: Oxfort Press (2010), p 789
-  Sharma, K. K. and Sharma, L. K. A text book of Physical Chemistry, 4th revised ed., India: Vikas pub. House. PVT Ltd (2004). Pp. 534
-  Engel, T. and Reid, P. Physical Chemistry revised ed., New York: Pearson Pub. (2006), Pp. 897
-  Kamal, C. & Gopalakrishnan, M. (2012). A bis-indol alkaloid as a green inhibitor for corrosion of mild steel in HCl solution from Caulerpa racemosa. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2(3), 54-60
-  Abeng, F. E., Ekpe, U. J., Ikeuba, A. I., Ugi, B. U. & Nna, P. J. (2013). Inhibitive action of alkaloid and non-alkaloid fractions of ethanolic extracs of Phyllanthus amarus on the corrosion of mild steel in HCl solution. Global journal of pure and applied sciences vol. 19. (in press)
-  Okafor, P. C., Ebenso, E. E. & Ekpe U. J. (2010). Azadirachta Indica Extracts as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acid medium. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 5, 978-993
-  Odiongenyi, A. O., Odoemelam, S. A. & Eddy, N. O. (2008). Corrosion inhibition and adsorption properties of Ethanol Extract of Vernonia Anygdalina for the corrosion of mild steel in H2SO4. Portugalia Electrochemical Acta, 27(1), 33-45
-  Okafor, P. C. & Ebenso, E. E. (2007). Inhibitive action of Carica papaya extracts on the corrosion of mild steel in acidic media and their adsorption characteristics. Pigment and Resin Technology, 36(3), 134-140
-  Obot, I. B., Umoren, S. A. & Egbedi, N. O. (2011). Corrosion inhibition and adsorption behaviour for aluminium by extract of Aningeria robusta in HCl solution: synergistic effect of iodide ions. Journal of Material and Environmental Science, 2(1), 60-71
-  Ekpe, U. J., Ebenso, E. E.& Ibok, U. J. (1994). Inhibitory actions of Azadirachta indica leaf extract on the corrosion of mild steel in H2SO4. Journal of West African Science Association, 39, 13-30.
-  Abiola, O. K.& James, A. O. (2009). The effects of Aloe vera extract on corrosion and Kinetic of corrosion process of Zinc in HCl solution. Corrosion Science, 51, 1879
-  Ebenso, E. E., Eddy, N. O. & Odiongenyi, A. O. (2008). Corrosion inhibition and Adsorption properties of methocarbamol on mild steel in Acidic medium. Portugaliae Electrochemica Acta 27(1), 13-22
-  Ulaeto, S.B., Ekpe, U. J.,Chidiebere, M.A. & Oguzie, E. E. (2012). Corrosion inhibition of mild steel in hydrochloric acid by acid extract of Eichhornia crassipes. http://journal.sapub.org/ijmc.
-  Okafor, P. C., Ikpi, M. E., Uwah, I. E., Ebenso, E. E., Ekpe, U. J. & Umoren, S. A. (2008). Inhibitory action of Phyllanthus amarus extracts on the corrosion of mild steel in acidic. Corrosion Science, 50, 2310-2317
-  Oguzie, E. E. (2005). Influence of halid ions on the inhibitive effect of Congo red dye on the corrosion of mild steel in sulphuric acid solution. Material Chemistry and Physics, 87(1), 212-217
-  Umoren, S. A., Ogbobe, O., Okafor, P. C. & Ebenso, E. E. (2007). Polyethyhene glycol and polyvinyl alcohol as corrosion inhibitors for aluminium in acid. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 105, 3363-3370
-  Ihebrodike, M. M., Anthony, A. U., kelechukwu, B. O. & Alozie, G. A. (2010). The inhibition effect of Solanum melongena L, leaf exract on the corrosion of Aluminium in tetraoxosulphate (vi) acid. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry 4(8), 158-165
-  Ameer, M. A., Khamis, E. & Al-Sanani, G. (2000). Adsorption studies of the effect of thiosemicarbzides on the corrosion of steel in phosphoric acid. Adsorpt. Sci. Tech. 18, 177-194
-  Popoova, A., Sokolova, E. Raicheva, S. & Christov, M. (2003). AC and DC study of temperature effect on mild steel corrosion in acid media in the presence of benzimidazole derivatives. Corrosion Science, 45(1), 391-399
-  Nnanna, L. A., Onwolagba B. N., Mejeha I. M. & Okeoma K. B. (2010). Inhibition effects of some plant extracts on the acid corrosion of aluminium alloy. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry, 4(1), 11-16
-  Obot, I. B., Egbedi, N. O. (2009). Ipomoea involcrata as an ecofriendly inhibitor for aluminium in alkaline medium. Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta 27, 277-279.
-  Ekanem, U. F., Umoren, S. A. Udousoro, I. I. & Udoh, A. P. (2010). Inhibition of mild steel corrosion in HCl using pineapple heaves (Ananas comosus k.) extract. Journal of Materials Science, 45, 55-58
-  Ikpi, M. E., Udoh, I. I., Okafor, P. C., Ekpe, U. J. & Ebenso, E. E.(2012). Corrosion inhibition and adsorption behavior of extracts from Piper guineensis on mild steel corrosion in acid media. International Journal of Electrochemical Science 7, 12193-12206
-  Vivian, E. F. (2003). Initial characterization of crude exracts from Phyllanthus amarus Schum and Thonn and Qussia amara L. using normal phase thin layer chromatography. Publish M.Sc Thesis submitted to the graduate faculty of the Louisiana state university and Agricultural and mechanical college in the school of renewable Natural resources.
-  T. O. Magu, V. M. Bassey, B. E. Nyong, O. E. Obono, N. A. Nzeata-Ibe, O. U. Akakuru. Inhibition studies of Spondias mombin L. in 0.1 HCl solution on mild steel and verification of a new temperature coefficient of inhibition efficiency equation for adsorption mechanism elucidation. World News of Natural Sciences 8 (2017) 15-26
-  M. E. Ikpi, F. E. Abeng, O. E. Obono. Adsorption and Thermodynamic Studies for Corrosion Inhibition of API 5L X-52 Steel in 2 M HCl Solution by Moxifloxacin. World News of Natural Sciences 9 (2017) 52-61
-  M. E. Ikpi, F. E. Abeng, B. O. Okonkwo. Experimental and computational study of levofloxacin as corrosion inhibitor for carbon steel in acidic media. World News of Natural Sciences 9 (2017) 79-90
-  F. E. Abeng, V. D. Idim, P. J. Nna. Kinetics and Thermodynamic Studies of Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel Using Methanolic Extract of Erigeron floribundus (Kunth) in 2 M HCl Solution. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 26-38
-  H. Louis, J. Japari, A. Sadia, M. Philip, A. Bamanga. Photochemical screening and corrosion inhibition of Poupartia birrea back extracts as a potential green inhibitor for mild steel in 0.5 M H2SO4 medium. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 95-100
Publication order reference