Internet of things in Smart Environment: Concept, Applications, Challenges, and Future Directions
Languages of publication
Environmental phenomena have a major impact on our daily lives. These include changes affecting the sources of life such as in the waters and air of our world, which have been degraded in purity. The term ‘smart environment’ is defined as a technology that provides many facilities and solutions for many environmental application issues related to water quality and health, air pollution, weather, radiation monitoring, waste management, natural disaster, and many other environment indicators. Smart environment sensors integrated with ‘Internet of Things’ (IoT) technology can provide a new concept in tracking, sensing and monitoring objects of environment. This can provide potential benefits leading up to the possibility of achieving a green world and a sustainable lifestyle. IoT allows environmental sensors to connect with other systems such smart phones through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to send enormous amounts of data to the network and can allow us to have a better understanding of our surroundings and find suitable solutions for today environmental problems. In this review article, we will provide a brief conception of environment areas of study based on IoT technology and discuss the justification behind using IoT in the field of environmental studies. Moreover, we will investigate many proposed applications of environmental research based upon IoT.
-  Gomez, Carles, Internet of Things for enabling smart environments: A technology-centric perspective, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 23-43, 2019.
-  Arko Djajadi; Ambient Environment quality monitoring Using IoT Sensor Network; Interworking Indonesia Journal; Vol. 8, No. 1 (2016), pp 41-47.
-  Ashraf Darwish, Aboul Ella Hassanien; Wearable and Implantable Wireless Sensor Network Solutions for Healthcare Monitoring; Sensors 2011; 11(6), pp 5561–5595.
-  Nomusa Dlodlo, Adopting the internet of things technologies in environmental management in South Africa, 2012 International Conference on Environment Science and Engineering, Singapore 2012, pp 45-55.
-  Chen Xiaojun et al ; IOT-based air pollution monitoring and forecasting system; 2015 International Conference on Computer and Computational Sciences , pp 257-260., DOI: 10.1109/ICCACS.2015.7361361
-  Maryleen Ndubuaku, vid Okereafor; Internet of Things for Africa: Challenges and Opportunities; 2015 International Conference on Cyberspace Governance – Cyber ABUJA 2015, pp 23-31.
-  Jane K. Hart and Kirk Martinez; Toward an environmental Internet of Things; AGU publication earth and space science; Volume 2, Issue 5, Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2015, pp 194-200.
-  D. Bhattacharjee and R.Bera; Development Of Smart Detachable Wireless Sensing System for Environmental Monitoring; International Journal On Smart Sensing and Intelligent Systems Vol. 7, No. 3, Sep 2014., pp 1239-1253.
-  Peng Jiang, Hongbo Xia, Zhiye He and Zheming Wang; Design of a Water Environment Monitoring System Based on Wireless Sensor Networks; Sensors 2009, 9, pp 6411-6434; doi:10.3390/s90806411
-  Kondamudi Siva Sai Ram, A.N.P.S. Gupta; IoT based Data Logger System for weather monitoring using Wireless sensor networks; International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology Volume 32 Number 2- February 2016, pp 72-75.
-  Hehua Li, Yahui Liu; A Study of the Real-Time Monitoring System for Chemical Logistics Based on Internet of Things; The Conference on Web Based Business Management; 978-1-935068-18-1; 2010 SciRes, pp 337- 340.
-  Dr. A. Sumithra et al, A Smart Environmental Monitoring System Using Internet of Things; International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Applied Science, Volume 2, Issue 3, March 2016, pp 261-265.
-  F.K. Shaikh et al, Communication Technology That Suits IoT – A Critical Review, WSN4DC 2013, CCIS 366, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013, pp 14-25.
-  Yinghui Huang; Remote Environmental Monitoring Embedded System Design Based on Wireless Sensor Networks. Chemical Engineering Transactions; Vol. 51, 2016, pp 223-228, DOI:10.3303/CET1651038
-  Jue Yang, Chengyang Zhang et al; An Environmental Monitoring System with Integrated Wired and Wireless Sensors; WASA 2008, LNCS 5258, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2008, pp. 224–236
-  Udaybir Singh Mann et al; Water Pollution: Causes, Effects and Remedies; International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science Volume No. 02, Issue No. 08, August 2014, pp 2348-7550.
-  Owa, F.D.; Water Pollution: Sources, Effects, Control and Management; Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences Vol 4 No 8 sept 2013, pp 65-68.
-  Li Zhenan, Wang Kai, Liu Bo; Sensor-Network based Intelligent Water Quality Monitoring and Control; International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Engineering &Technology Volume 2, Issue 4, April 2013, pp 1659- 1662.
-  A. J. Whittle et al; Sensor Networks For monitoring and Control of Water Distribution Systems; The 6th International Conference on Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure Hong Kong 9‐11 December 2013, pp 1-13.
-  Cristina Turcu, Cornel Turcu, Vasile Gaitan; An Internet of Things Oriented Approach for Water Utility Monitoring and Control; Advances in Computer Science 2012, pp 175-180.
-  Jun Jiao et al; Design of Farm Environmental Monitoring System Based on the Internet of Things; Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology 6(3), 2014, pp 368-373.
-  Wei Ying Yi et al; A Survey of Wireless Sensor Network Based Air Pollution Monitoring Systems; Sensors 2015, pp 31392–31427; doi:10.3390/s151229859
-  Ayyappadas R, Design and Implementation of Weather Monitoring System using Wireless Communication; International Journal of Advanced Information in Engineering Technology, Vol.4, No.5, May 2017, pp 1-7.
-  Rong-Hua Ma , Yu-Hsiang Wang and Chia-Yen Lee; Wireless Remote Weather Monitoring System Based on MEMS Technologies; Sensors 2011, pp 2715-2727; doi:10.3390/s11030271.
-  Setu garg et al; The Role of ZIGBEE Technology in Weather Monitoring System; International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, Vol. 2, Issue 5, May 2013, pp 1703- 1706.
-  Nisha Gahlot et al; Zigbee based weather monitoring system; The International Journal of Engineering and Science, Volume 4, 2015, pp 61-66.
-  Kondamudi Siva Sai Ram et al; IoT based Data Logger System for weather monitoring using Wireless sensor networks; International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology Volume 32 Number 2, February 2016, pp 71-75.
-  Aneeta Varghese; Weather Based Information System using IoT and Cloud Computing; Journal of Computer Science and Engineering, Volume 2 , Issue 6 ,June,2015, pp 90-97.
-  Ferdin Joe John Joseph; IoT Based Weather Monitoring System for Effective Analytics; International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology Volume 8 Issue 4, April, 2019, pp 311-315.
-  M. Dragusin et al; Radiation Monitoring under Emergency Conditions; Rom. Journal. Phys. Vol. 59, Nos. 9–10, P 891–903, Bucharest, 2014.
-  Anjaiah Guthi; Implementation of an Efficient Noise and Air Pollution Monitoring System Using Internet of Things (IoT); International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering; Vol. 5, Issue 7, July 2016, pp 237-242.
-  Shamisa shoja et al; A study of the Internet of Things in the Oil and Gas Industry, 2017 4th International Conference on Knowledge based engineering and Innovation (KBEI), IEEE 2017, pp 0230- 0236.
-  Jaclyn Elizabeth R. Santos et al; Developing a chemical and hazardous waste inventory system; Journal of Chemical Health & Safety, 2011, pp 15-18, DOI: 10.1016/j.jchas.2011.05.012.
-  Jian Zhan et al; Design and implementation of logistics vehicle monitoring system based on the SaaS model; 2012 Fifth International Conference on Business Intelligence and Financial Engineering, IEEE 2012, pp 524-526, DOI 10.1109/BIFE.2012.115.
-  Qiulin Tan, Yang Zhang et al; A Hazardous Chemical-Oriented Monitoring and Tracking System Based on Sensor Network; International journal of distributed sensors networks, May 21, 2014, pp 1-8.
-  Dhanashri Kisan Khatal et al; Smart Garbage Monitoring System; International Journal of Latest Engineering Science Volume 2 Issue 3, June 2019, pp 1-7.
-  Mustafa M.R, and Ku Azir K.N. F; Smart Bin: Internet-of-Things Garbage Monitoring System; MATEC Web of Conferences, ICEESI 2017, pp 1-4, DOI: 10.1051/matecconf /201714001030
-  Vincenzo Catania , Daniela Ventura ; An approach for monitoring and smart planning of urban solid waste management using smart-M3 platform; Proceedings of 15th Conference of Open Innovations Association FRUCT, St. Petersburg, Russia, April 2014, pp 25-31.
-  Alexey Medvedev et al ; Waste Management as an IoT-Enabled Service in Smart Cities; Internet of Things, Smart Spaces, and Next Generation Networks and Systems ; Springer 2015; pp 104-115.
-  Adil Bashir et al; Concept, Design and Implementation of Automatic Waste Management System; International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, Volume 1, Issue 7, IJRITCC 2013, pp 604 – 609.
-  Akash Sinha1 et al; Impact of internet of things (IoT) in disaster management: a task-technology ﬁt perspective; Springer 2017, pp 1-36, DOI 10.1007/s10479-017-2658
-  Ravi Kishore Kodali et al; IoT based smart greenhouse; IEEE Region 10 Humanitarian Technology Conference (R10-HTC); Agra, India 2016, pp 1-6.
-  Vimal P V et al; IOT Based Greenhouse Environment Monitoring and Controlling System using Arduino Platform; 2017 International Conference on Intelligent Computing, Instrumentation and Control Technologies (ICICICT), pp 1514- 1519.
-  Vimal Jerald A. et al, Internet of Things (IoT) based Smart Environment integrating various Business Applications, International Journal of Computer Applications Volume 128 – No.8, October 2015, pp 32-37.
-  Renu Thapliyal et al, Internet of Things for Smart Environment and Integrated Ecosystem, International Journal of Engineering & Technology, 7 (3.12) (2018), pp 1219-1221.
Publication order reference