The influence of European City of Culture on regional tourism
Languages of publication
The purpose of this article is to answer the question of whether the European Capital of Culture has an impact on the tourism in a region. The text is focused on 10 places, which was titled ECoC in 2009-2013. In the article are shown short presentations of all these 10 ECoCs, but statistical data refers to the regions of these cities (by NUTS 2 classification). Four different variables are analyzed – numbers of tourist establishments and bed-places and total numbers of nights spent at tourist accommodation establishments by residents and non-residents. To determine changes in these figures two kinds of indexes were used – chain and fixed base index. There is no denying that this analyze refers only to the small part of tourism sector, but even this kind of results may show same trends and be basis for some conclusions. Furthermore, even though limited dimension of research, this study can be especially interesting, because it refers to the issue of whole regions and this subject is rarely discussed topic.
-  J. Hausner, A. Karwińska, J. Purchla, Kultura a rozwój, (2013) 427-429
-  J. Fourie, M. Santana-Gallego, The impact of mega-sport events on tourist arrival, Tourism Management 32 (2011) 1364-1370.
-  Blešić, T. Piva, J. Đorđević, I. Stamenković, S. Janićević, Cultural events as part of cultural tourism development. Case study: Sombor and Apatin (Serbia), Acta geographica Slovenica 54(2) (2014) 383
-  R. Towse, Ekonomia kultury. Kompendium, (2011) 542.
-  J. Wyrzykowski, J. Marak, Turystyka w ujęciu interdyscyplinarnym, (2010) 26.
-  F. D. Cozea, How the program „Cultural capital of Europe” influence the development of tourism in cities, Analele UniversităŃii din Oradea – Seria Geografie, Year XXIII, (2013).
-  http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/creative-europe/actions/documents/ecoc/ecoc-evaluation-2009_en.pdf 49, 60-62
-  http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/creative-europe/actions/documents/ecoc/ecoc-2010-report_en.pdf 39,40
-  http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/creative-europe/actions/documents/ecoc/2011/evaluation_en.pdf 11, 58-59.
-  http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/creative-europe/actions/documents/ecoc/2012/first-evaluation_en.pdf s. 9, 13, 38-39.
-  http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/creative-europe/actions/documents/ecoc-2013-full-report.pdf 38-39, 70-71.
-  J. Warszyńska, Geografia turystyczna świata, (2001). Wydawnictwo Kulczyński, Warszawa.
-  http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat
Publication order reference