Some Engineering Properties and Natural Durability of Avocado (Persea americana Mill.) Pulp and Seed
Languages of publication
An investigation on Some Engineering Properties and natural durability of Avocado (Persea americana Mill.) pulp and seed were carried out in different locations. Avocado fruit is a tropical fruit and is one of the most productive plants per unit of cultivated area. Avocado stands out for its high nourishing value and it is usefulness to growth and development. It has also been the subject of intense and varied use in the past not only for its importance in food but also for medicinal needs. From the investigation carried out on mechanical properties, avocado seed will attain a value of 2352.200N force at peak and any value higher than this; will cause it to break when determining the effect of moisture content on avocado seed along longitudinal loading. In the same vein, avocado seed will attain a value of 1497.000N force at peak and any value higher than this; will cause it to break when determining the effect of moisture content on avocado seed along axial loading. The thermal properties investigated were thermal conductivity, thermal diffusivity, ash, specific heat and calorific value. This research work and results obtained will enable engineer in designing machines that can be used for processing, handling and storage of avocado pulp and seed.
- Department of Agricultural and Bio-Environmental Engineering Technology, Federal Polytechnic, P.M.B 13, Auchi, Edo State, Nigeria
- Department of Plant Biology and Biotechnology, Faculty of Life Science, University of Benin, P.M.B 1154, Benin City, Nigeria
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal University Birnin Kebbi, P.M.B 1157 Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi State, Nigeria
-  Okafor S.O. (2003). Determination of some physical properties of Dika nut seed. The Pacific Journal of Science and Tech. 12(2): 227-250.
-  Dutta, S.K., V.K. Nema and R.K. Bhardwaj, 1988. Physical properties of gram. J. Agric. Eng. Res. 39: 259-268.
-  Maduako, J.N. and M.O. Faborode, 1990. Some physical properties of cocoa pods in relation to primary processing. Ife J. Technol. 2(1): 1-7.
-  Aviara, N.A. and M.A. Haque, 2001. Moisture dependence of thermal properties of sheanut kernel. J. Food Eng. 47: 109-113.
-  Aviara, N.A., E. Mamman and B. Umar, 2005. Some physical properties of balanites aegyptiaca nuts. Biosyst. Eng. 92(3): 325-334.
-  Vishwa N. Verma, Application of atomic absorption spectroscopy to food sciences (A study on Persea americana Mill – Avocado). World Scientific News 49(2) (2016) 104-116
-  Tsegay Hiwot, Determination of oil and biodiesel content, physicochemical properties of the oil extracted from avocado seed (Persea americana) grown in Wonago and Dilla (gedeo zone), southern Ethiopia. World Scientific News 58 (2016) 133-147
-  K. Nwaokobia, R. O. Ogboru, C. A. Idibie, Extraction of edible oil from the pulp of Persea americana (Mill) using cold process method. World News of Natural Sciences 17 (2018) 130-140
-  Mieszkalski, I. 1997. The role of physical properties of seeds in the design of dehullers. International Agrophysics, 11: 283-291.
-  Sacilik, K., R. Ozturk and R. Keskin. 2003. Some physical properties of hemp seed. Biosystems Engineering, 86: 191-198.
-  Aviara, N.A., M.A. Haque and L.A.O. Ogunjimi, 2008. Therma properties of guna seed. Int. Agrophys. 22: 291-297.
-  Guardado-Valdivia L, Tovar-Pérez E, Chacón-López A, López-García U, Gutiérrez-Martínez P, Stoll A, Aguilera S. Identification and characterization of a new Bacillus atrophaeus strain B5 as biocontrol agent of postharvest anthracnose disease in soursop (Annona muricata) and avocado (Persea americana). Microbiol Res. 2018 May; 210: 26-32.
-  Flores-Alvarez LJ, Guzmán-Rodríguez JJ, López-Gómez R, Salgado-Garciglia R, Ochoa-Zarzosa A, López-Meza JE. PaDef defensin from avocado (Persea americana var. drymifolia) is cytotoxic to K562 chronic myeloid leukemia cells through extrinsic apoptosis. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2018 Mar 17; 99: 10-18.
-  Soldera-Silva A, Seyfried M, Campestrini LH, Zawadzki-Baggio SF, Minho AP, Molento MB, Maurer JBB. Assessment of anthelmintic activity and bio-guided chemical analysis of Persea americana seed extracts. Vet Parasitol. 2018, Feb 15; 251: 34-43.
-  María Elena Pahua-Ramos, Alicia Ortiz-Moreno, Germán Chamorro-Cevallos, María Dolores Hernández-Navarro. Hypolipidemic Effect of Avocado (Persea americana Mill) Seed in a Hypercholesterolemic Mouse Model. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition March 2012, Volume 67, Issue 1, pp 10–16
-  Ortiz MA, Dorantes AL, Galindez MJ, Cárdenas SE (2004). Effect of a novel oil extraction method on avocado (Persea americana Mill) pulp microstructure. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 59(1): 11–14
Publication order reference