Estimation of heterosis for yield and resistance to downy mildew (Sclerospora graminicola) infestation in pearl millet varieties (Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br)
Languages of publication
A field trial involving twenty-four millet varieties (parents and hybrids) was conducted at Bakura and zaria to determine the hetrotic performance for yield and resistance to Downey mildew infestation using Complete Randomized Block Design. Four resistant varieties (PEO5532, SOSATC88, P1449 and DMR15) and four susceptible varieties (BDP1, MOP1, LCIC9702 and PEO5984 were used as male and female respectively. The resistant varieties were crossed with the susceptible varieties using North Carolina design 11. Sixteen (F1) hybrids obtained were evaluated along with their parents for downy mildew resistance and grain yield. The study selected the best parents that give high heterosis in terms of grain yield and downy mildew resistance. PEO5984 × P1449, PEO5984 × PEO5532, PEO5984 × DMR15 and PEO5984 × SOSATC88 for yield, the best MP and BP heterosis for downy mildew incidence is PEO5984 × P1449. MOP1 × P1449 for MP heterosis and BDP1 × P1449 for BP heterosis.
-  Imran, M, A. Hussain, R. Khalid, S. Khan, M. S. Zahid, Z. A. Gurmani, A. Bakhsh and D. Baig, 2010. Study of correlation among yield contributing and quality parameters in different millet varieties grown under and hwar conditions. Sarhad J. Agric. 26(3): 365-368.
-  Singh. S.D. (1995). Downy mildew of pearl millet. Plant Diseases 79: 545-550
-  Zarafi, A.B., Emechebe, A.M., Akpa, A.D and O. Alabi (2001). The incidence of pearl millet downy mildew, Sclerospora graminicola (Sacc.) in Samaru, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Tropical Agriculture 3: 14-22
-  Ashan, N. (2004). Genetic bases of heterosis and inbreeding depression in rice. Journal of Zhejang University of Science 5(4) 406-411.
-  Rewat, R.S. and D.V.S. Tyagi. (1989). Mutant heterosis in pearl millet. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding 49: 19-24.
-  Ugale, S. D., Hapse, R. S., and Bharati, D. A., 1989. Heterosis in pearl millet. Journal of Maharashtra Agricultural University, vol. 14, pp. 335-337
-  Manga, V.K. and Dubey, L.K. (2004). Identification of suitable inbreeds on combining ability in pearl millet (Pennisetum glaucum). Indian Journal of Agricultural Science. 74: 98-101.
-  Sheoran, R. K., Govila, O. P., Balzor-Singh, and Singh, B. B., 2000. Genetic architecture of yield and yield contributing traits in pearl millet. Annual Agricural Resource, vol. 21, pp. 443-445.
-  Yadav, O. P., Sabharwal, P. S., Beniwal, C. R., and Hanuman, 2000. Combining ability study for some newly developed male sterile lines for forage attributes in pearl millet. Forage Resource, vol. 27, pp. 277280.
-  Comstock, R.E., and H.F. Robinson, (1948). The components of genetic variancein populations of biparental progenies and their use in estimating the average degree of dominance. Biometrics 4: 254-66.
-  Blummel, M. and Rai, K. N., 2003. Stover quality and grain yield relationship and heterosis in pearl millet. International. Sorghum and Millet Newsletter, vol. 44, pp. 141-145.
-  Pethani, V. K., Afara, S. D., and Monpara, B. A., 2004. Heterosis and combining ability for plant and seed characters in pearl millet. Nation. Journal of Plant Improvement, vol. 6, pp. 115-118.
-  S Shailasree, B R Sarosh, N S Vasanthi and H S Shetty. Seed treatment with β-aminobutyric acid protects Pennisetum glaucum systemically from Sclerospora graminicola. Pest Management Science Volume 57, Issue 8 August 2001 Pages 721–72
-  Moahmed A. E. Hassan, Kamal A. M. Abo-Elyousr, Activation of tomato plant defence responses against bacterial wilt caused by Ralstonia solanacearum using DL-3-aminobutyric acid (BABA), European Journal of Plant Pathology, 2013, 136, 1, 145
-  Piękna-Grochala Justyna, Kępczyńska Ewa, Induction of resistance against pathogens by β-aminobutyric acid, Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 2013, 35, 6, 1735
-  S.N. Lavanya, S. Niranjan Raj, A.C. Udayashankar, K.R. Kini, K.N. Amruthesh, S.R. Niranjana, H.S. Shetty, Comparative analysis of activities of vital defence enzymes during induction of resistance in pearl millet against downy mildew, Archives Of Phytopathology And Plant Protection, 2012, 45, 11, 1252
-  Ziguo Zhu, Jiangli Shi, Mingyang He, Jiangling Cao, Yuejin Wang, Isolation and functional characterization of a transcription factor VpNAC1 from Chinese wild Vitis pseudoreticulata, Biotechnology Letters, 2012, 34, 7, 1335
-  Ball SL, Pike DJ (1984) Intercontinental variation in Sclerospora graminicola. Ann Appl Biol 104: 41–51
-  Kohli Y, Morrall RA, Anderson JB, Kohn LM (1992) Local and trans-Canadian clonal distribution of Sclerotina sclerotiorum on canola. Phytopathology 82: 875–880
-  McDonald BA, Miles J, Nelson LR, Pettway RE (1994) Genetic variability in nuclear DNA in field populations of Stagonospora nodorum. Phytopathology 84: 250–255
-  Thakur RP, Shetty KG, King SB (1992) Selection for host-specific virulence in asexual population of Sclerospora graminicola. Plant Path 41: 626–632
-  Xia JQ, Correll JC, Lee FN, Marchetti MA, Rhoads DD (1993) DNA fingerprinting to examine the microgeographic variation in the Magnaporthe grisea (Pyricularia grisea) population in two rice fields in Arkansas. Phytopathology 83: 1029–1035
Publication order reference