Football and politics in Israel
Languages of publication
The article tries to show the political context of sport, especially football, in Israel. It shows different aspects and specificity of the Jewish state, which has influence on this discipline. It is also about important sport events in the history of this country. What football league looks like and its image, the roots of clubs, are some others topics contained here. The work also tries to explain the role of sport in this young country, which, paradoxically, has a long tradition. It shows how the government uses sport to break barriers between nations and what the viewpoint of Palestinians is on these attempts. The paper describes various groups of fans and their p olitical activity and discovers the background of matches in Israel.
- 1. Galily Y: Sport, Politics and Society in Israel: The First Fifty -five Years. Israel Affairs Journal, 2007 13(3): 515– 528
- 2. Ben Porat A: From community to commodity: the commodification of football in Israel. Soccer & Society, 2012, 13(3): 443- 457
- 3. Sorek T.. Arab Soccer in a Jewish State: The Integrative Enclave. University Press. Cambridge, 2007.
- 4. Sorek T. Arab football in Israel as an 'integrative enclave. Ethnic and Racial Studies, 2003 26(3): 422- 450.
- 5. Galily Y, Leitner M, Shimon P. Coexistence and sport: the Israeli case. Journal of Comparative Research in Anthropology and Sociology, 2013 4(2): 181- 194
- 6. Sugden J. The challenge of using a values -based approach to coaching sport and community relations in multi -cultural settings . The case of Football for Peace (F4P) in Israel. European Journal for Sport and Society, 2006 3(1): 7- 24
- 7. England. Jude, jude, jude... czyli Izrael i jego scena kibicowska. To My Kibice, 2016 51(1): 4- 13
- 8. Forever Pure [movie]. Director Maya Zinshtein, UK, Is rael, Russia: Duckin' & Divin' Films, 2016
- 9. JewishVirtualLibrary.org (Population Statistics for Israel)
- 10. The Central Bureau of Statistics (data 2016)
- 11. The Central Bureau of Statistics (Population)
- 12. JewishVirtualLibrary.org (Total Immigration to Israel by Country of Origin)
- 13. TransferMarkt.com (website with football data)
- 14. Mifalot.com (websites of organizations)
- 15. FootballForPeaceGlobal.org (websites of organizations)
- 16. Medoff R. Militant Zionism in Ameri ca. The Rise and Impact of the Jabotinsky Movement in the United States, 1926– 1948. The University of Alabama Press. Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 2002.
- 17. Yeshshem.com (Yeshem Name Details)
- 18. Vowinckel A. Sports, Terrorism and the Media: The Munich Hostage Crisis of 19 72. Esporte e Sociedade, 2007, 2(6): 1- 16
- 19. SoccerWay.com (website with football data)
- 20. RebelIltras.com (website of left wing football fans
- 21. UltrasHapoel.com (website of Hapoel Tel Aviv fans)
- 22. JTA, Beitar Jerusalem Fans Chant Name of Yitzhak Rabin's Killer, 27. 10.2015, http://www.haaretz.com/israel -news/1.682673 (access: 22.06.2017)
- 23. Krawczyk A. Terroryzm ugrupowań fundamentalistycznych na obszarze Izraela w drugiej połowie XX wieku. Uniwersytet Ślą ski. Katowice, 2007 [in Polish]
Publication order reference