Twin Screw Reactor Design for Biomass Pyrolysis
Languages of publication
The process of fast pyrolysis using biomass to produce bio-oil or pyrolysis oil for application as an energy source and a chemical feedstock is of interest in this study. The literature on biomass fast pyrolysis is surveyed here and how parameter such as feed rate, temperature, rate of heating, and residence time affects the process. Investigation for this work includes the pyrolysis of sawdust and bagasse through fast pyrolysis in an auger reactor. Temperatures between 350 C and 450 C have been applied to characterize the yields and reactor problem has been identified. This work reports the problems faced with the twin screw reactor, troubleshooting which will result in bio-oil, one of the main products of fast pyrolysis. System produced solid biofuel or bio-char much of which is in the research phase as a climate change mitigation tool. Further use of professional CAD software to model and optimize the system has also been covered. Based on which suitable design changes are also developed to overcome the problems. Analysis of feed material and the solid biofuel is covered in this work as well. Pyrolysis experiments can be done using a wide range of biomass feeds. But not much of it has been studied in twin screw reactors. This scant knowledge over the study of such alternative fuel has been the reason to look into this activity.
- Department of Electrical, Power & Energy, College of Engineering Studies, University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Dehradun, India, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of Electrical, Power & Energy, College of Engineering Studies, University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Dehradun, India, email@example.com
- Department of Chemical Engineering, College of Engineering Studies, University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Dehradun, India, firstname.lastname@example.org
-  Maples, J. D.; Moore, J. S.; Patterson, P. D.; Schaper, V. D. Alternative Fuels for U. S. Transportation. Presented at the TRB Workshop on Air Quality Impacts of Conventional and Alternative Fuel Vehicles, Paper No. A1F03/A1F06, 1998 (available via the Internet at http://www.es.anl.gov/ Energy_Systems/Publications/publications1998.html).
-  Walsh, M. P., Highway Vehicle Activity Trends and Their Implications for Global Warming: The United States in an International Context. In Transportation and Energy: Strategies for a Sustainable Transportation System; American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy: Washington, DC, 1995.
-  A.V. bridgwater, Review of fast pyrolysis of biomass and product upgrading, Biomass Bioenergy 38 (2012) 68-94
-  P.J. de Wild, Biomass Pyrolysis for Chemicals, PhD Dissertation (2011)
-  U. Hornung, P. Schneider, A. Hornung, V. Tumiatti, H. Seifert, J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis 85 (2009) 145-150.
-  Davis, S. C. Transportation Energy Data Book 18, Technical Report ORNL-6941, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, September 1998 (available via the Internet at http://cta.ornl.gov/data/Index.shtml)
-  Biomass Gasification: A Comprehensive Demonstration of a Community Scale Biomass Energy System USDA Final Report, Joel Tallaksen, Ph.D. Biomass Gasification Project Coordinator West Central Research and Outreach Center University of Minnesota.
-  Knight, J. A.; Bowen, M. D.; Purdy, K. R. Pyrolysiss, A method for conversion of forestry wastes to useful fuels. Presented at the Conference on Energy and Wood Products Industry, Forest Products Research Society, Atlanta, GA, 1976.
-  Peacocke, G. V. C.; Bridgwater, A. V. Ablative fast pyrolysis of biomass for liquids: results and analyses. In Bio-oil Production and Utilisation; Bridgwater, A. V., Hogan, E. H., Eds.; CPL Press: Newbury, U.K., 1996; pp 35-48.
-  Czernik, S.; Johnson, D. K.; Black, S. Biomass Bioenergy 7(1-6) (1994) 187-192.
-  Churin, E.; Delmon, B. What can we do with pyrolysis oils? In Pyrolysis and Gasification; Ferrero, G. L., Maniatis, K., Buekens, A., Bridgwater, A. V., Eds.; Elsevier Applied Science: London, 1989; pp. 326-333.
-  Putun E., Energy Sources 24(3) (2003) 275-285.
-  Bridgwater A. V.; Czernik, S.; Piskorz, J. An overview of fast pyrolysis. In Progress in Thermochemical Biomass ConVersion, Volume 2; Bridgwater, A. V., Ed.; Blackwell Science: London, 2001, pp. 977-997.
-  Bridgwater, A. V.; Kuester, J. L. Research in Thermochemical Biomass Conversion; Elsevier Science Publishers: London, 1991.
-  Demirbas, A., J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis 71 (2004) 803-815.
-  Yeh, A. Hwang, S. Guo, J. Effects of Screw Speed and Feed Rate on Residence Time Distribution and Axial Mixing of Wheat Flour in a Twin-Screw Extruder; Elsevier, Journal of Food Engineering, 1992, pp. 3-5.
Publication order reference