Design and Implementation of Cost-effective Simple FIR Filter for EEG Signal on FPGA
Languages of publication
Filter is immensely used to distinguish distinctive human signal progressively. In this article, a digital finite impulse response (FIR) filter is presented for the quick detection of electroencephalogram (EEG) signal to smooth and compress the signal. This paper means to structure an advanced FIR filter based on Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) to get faster biomedical signals specially EEG signals. For this respect, a simple and cost-effective FIR filter is introduced to make EEG signal noise free, less costly, less power consuming and simple. It requires less space for chip implementation than other digital filter and avoid the mixture of other biomedical signal. For hardware execution, FPGA board is utilized which is a mix of various logic gates and registers which offers cheap and dependable administrations.
-  Khurshid, Burhan, and Roohie Naaz Mir. An efficient FIR filter structure based on technology-optimized multiply-adder unit targeting LUT-based FPGAs. Circuits, Systems, and Signal Processing 36, no. 2 (2017) 600-639
-  J.E. Carletta, M.D. Rayman, Practical Considerations in the Synthesis of High Performance Digital Filters for Implementation on FPGAs. FPL 2002, LNCS 2438, pp. 886–896, Springer, (2002).
-  C. Cheng, K.K. Parhi, Hardware efficient fast parallel FIR filter structures based on iterated short convolution. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst. I Reg. Pap. 51(8), 1492–1500 (2004).
-  L. Deng, K. Sobti, Y. Zhang, C. Chakarbarti, Accurate area, time and power models for FPGA based implementations. J. Signal Process. Syst. 63, 39–50 (2011).
-  R. Naseer, M. Balakrishnan, A. Kumar, Direct Mapping of RTL Structures onto LUT-Based FPGAs, IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, Vol. 17, No. 7, (1998).
-  P. Shi, Y.J. Yu, Design of linear phase FIR filters with high probability of achieving minimum number of adders. IEEE Circ. Syst. Soc. 58(1), 126–136 (2011).
-  G. Stitt, F. Vahid, S. Nematbakhsh, Energy savings and speed-ups from partitioning critical software loops to hardware in embedded systems. ACM Trans. Embed. Comput. Syst. 3(1), 218–232 (2004).
-  Y.C. Tsao, K. Choi, Area efficient parallel FIR digital filter structures for symmetric convolutions based on fast FIR algorithm. IEEE Trans. VLSI Syst. 20(2), 366–371 (2010)
-  Y.C. Tsao, K. Choi, Area efficient VLSI implementation for parallel linear-phase FIR digital filters of odd length based on fast FIR algorithm. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst.-II Express Briefs 59(6), 371–375, (2012)
-  N. Verma, A. Shoeb, J. Bohorquez, J. Dawson, J. Guttag, and A. Chandrakasan, A micro-power EEG acquisition SoC with integrated feature extraction processor for a chronic seizure detection system. IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 804–816, 2010.
-  E. Niedermeyer, F. H. Lopes da Silva, Electroencephalography: Basic Principles, Clinical Applications, and Related Fields. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005 Sixth edition, ISBN-13: 978-0781789424
-  John G. Webster. Medical Instrumentation Application and Design. John Wiley and Sons INC. 2001 Third edition, ISBN: 9971-51-270-X.
-  Atik Mahabub, Design and Implementation of a Novel Complete Filter for EEG Application on FPGA. International Journal of Image, Graphics and Signal Processing Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 22-30, 2018. DOI: 10.5815/ijigsp.2018.06.03
-  JW Fattaruso, LA Williams III Oversampled Analog-to-Digital and Digital-to Analog Converters. The VLSI Handbook. Ed. Wai-Kai Chen Boca Raton: CRC Press LLC, 2000.
-  S. Rengaprakash, M. Vignesh, N. Syed Anwar, M. Pragadheesh, E. Senthilkumar, M. Sandhya, J. Manikandan, FPGA implementation of fast running FIR filters. 2017 International Conference on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking, Year: 2017, Page s: 1282 - 1286
-  Patrick Longa, Ali Miri. Area-Efficient FIR Filter Design on FPGAs using Distributed Arithmetic. Signal Processing and Information Technology. IEEE International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology 27-30 Aug. 2006. DOI: 10.1109/ISSPIT.2006.270806
-  Mohsen Amiri Farahani, Eduardo Castillo Guerra, Bruce G. Colpitts. Efficient implementation of fir filters based on a novel common Subexpression elimination algorithm. IEEE Conference Publications, 1-4, 2010, DOI: 10.1109/CCECE.2010.5575223 2010
-  C. Y. Yao, H. H. Chen, T. F. Lin, C. J. Chien, and C. T. Hsu. A novel common subexpression elimination method for synthesizing fixed-point FIR filters. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 2215-2221, Nov. 2004.
-  G. Dempster and M. D. Macloed, Use of minimum- adder Multiplier blocks in FIR digital filters. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Analog Digit. Signal Process vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 569-577, Sep. 1995.
-  M. Aktan, A. Yurdakul, and G. Dundar, An algorithm for the design of low-power hardware-efficient FIR filters, IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, vol. 55, pp. 1536–1545, Jul. 2008
-  Smitha .K.G and A. P. Vinod, A New Binary Common Subexpression Elimination Method for Implementing Low Complexity FIR Filters, IEEE Conference Publications, 2327-2330
-  Vijay, s. and Vinod, A.P. (2007). A Greedy Common Subexpression Elimination Algorithm for Implementing FIR Filters, IEEE 1-4244- 0925-7/07.
-  K. Sundaram, M. Pradeepa, FPGA based filters for EEG preprocessing, Second International Conference on Science Technology Engineering and Management Chennai, 2016, pp. 572-576.
-  Md. Nazmul Hasan, Md. Tariq Hasan, Rafia Nishat Toma, Md. Maniruzzaman. FPGA Implementation of LBlock Lightweight Block Cipher. Electrical Engineering and Information Communication Technology (ICEEICT), 2016 3rd International Conference on 22-24 Sept. 2016, Dhaka, Bangladesh
-  Shumit Saha, Md. Jahiruzzaman, Chandan Saha, Md. Rubel Hosen, Atiq Mahmud “FPGA Implementation of Modified Type-C PID Control System. 2nd Int'l Conf on Electrical Engineering and Information & Communication Technology (ICEEICT), 2015 Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka-1342, Bangladesh, 21-23 May 2015.
Publication order reference