President Trump’s threats in coltan supply chain due diligence stunt Congo’s 2020 nation branding vision
Languages of publication
The DR Congo is one of the African countries rich in minerals ranged from amblygonite to Zinc. However, only three African countries namely Botswana, Namibia and South Africa are known as mineral-dependent economies which do not suffer from “the curse of minerals”. In 2006 Atalli predicted the collapse of the DR Congo owing to various reasons including large scale corruption in the coltan supply chain. Thus, the 2010 Dodd-Frank Act requiring any company that might be using conflict minerals to register with the US Securities and Exchange Commission and then disclose its supply chain was introduced. As such, the Act curbed the fate of the “curse of minerals in the DR Congo”. However, the problem is that president Trump’s executive order to review the Dodd-Frank Act in effort to allow US companies to profit from armed-conflicts minerals threatens existing due diligence framework in coltan supply chain. That review has the potentials to fuel armed-conflicts, creates opportunism, erode relational norms, trust; thus undermines the country’s 2020 nation branding vision as emerging business destination. The study objective is to evaluate the impact of Trump’s Dodd-Frank Act revision in the coltan supply chain in the DR Congo and the country’s 2020 nation banding vision. The study focused only on the implications of Trump’s threats in coltan supply chain in the DR Congo; thus alternatively excludes other type of minerals. Hence, it contributes to the body of knowledge by providing new insights into nation branding theory and Congolese coltan supply. The study adopted a case study approach which was grounded in the theoretical framework of nation branding. The nature of study dictated qualitative and quantitative methodologies combined. Survey questionnaire and focus group techniques were used. The sample size N=74 respondents from coltan buying organisations was used. Non-probability purposive sampling method was employed.
-  ABC News. (2016). What Is Coltan? Available at: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=128631&page=1 [Accessed on 29/07/2016].
-  Babbie, E. & Mouton, J. (2001). The Practice of Social Research. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.
-  Bryman, A. & Bell, E. (2011). 3rd Ed. Business Research Methods. New York: Oxford University Press.
-  Brynard, P.A. & Hanekom, S. X. (2006). Introduction to research in management-related fields. Pretoria: Van Schaik.
-  Brace, I. (2004). Questionnaire Design: How to plan, structure and write survey material for effective market research. 2nd Edition. London: Kogan.
-  Congo Vision. (2017). Balkanisation de la RDC : échec et mat ! Available at: http://www.congovision.com/nouvelles2/attali1.html [Accessed on 03/02/2017].
-  Centre of excellence for public sector marketing. 2009. Available at: http://www.mikekujawski.ca/ftp/cepsm_branding_ebook.pdf [Accessed on 05/04/2016].
-  Carey, S. and Lawson, B. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 22(2) (2011) 152-170.
-  Cicala, J. E., Smith, R. K. and Bush, A. J. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing 27(2) (2012) 78-88.
-  Defense and Security of Congo. 2016. Amisi Tango Four, la plaque tournante militaire de l’exploitation illégale des mines aux Kivu - See more at: http://desc-wondo.org/fr/whos-who-le-general-amisi-tango-four-le-boucher-du-kivu-jj-wondo/#sthash.S15MIllP.dpuf [Accessed on 06/12/2016].
-  Dicktatortrump.com. 2017. This Is How China Could Overtake U.S. World Economy Due To Donald Trump (VIDEO). Available at: http://www.dicktatortrump.com/2017/01/23/this-is-how-china-could-overtake-u-s-world-economy-due-to-donald-trump-video/ [Accessed on 03/02/2017].
-  Enough. (2017). Progress and challenges on Conflict Minerals: Facts on Dodd-Frank 1502. Available at: http://enoughproject.org/special-topics/progress-and-challenges-conflict-minerals-facts-dodd-frank-1502 [Accessed on 27/02/2017].
-  Ellwood, I. (2001). The Essential Brand Book. London: Kogan Page Ltd.
-  Global Witness. (2017). The Dodd-Frank Act's section 1502 on conflict minerals. Available at: https://www.globalwitness.org/en/archive/dodd-frank-acts-section-1502-conflict-minerals/ [Accessed on 27/02/2017].
-  Hardin, G. American Association for the Advancement of Science, 162 (3859) (1968) 1243-1248.
-  Inkpen, A. C. and Tsang, E. W. K. Academy of Management Review, 30(1) (2005) 146-165.
-  Kilduff, K. and Munez, J. M. (2016). The JEL, F10-M31.
-  Lumumba, P. L. O. (2016). The 3rd Anti-corruption convention. [Online], YouTube. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cbEuwqKKqE [Accessed on 09/12/2016].
-  Msele, F. (2007). A critical analysis of the current state of knowledge of nation branding. Cranfield University.
-  Nilson, T. (1999). Competitive Branding. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
-  OECD. 2016. A global standard: Towards responsible mineral supply chains. Available at: http://mneguidelines.oecd.org/Brochure_OECD-Responsible-Mineral-Supply-Chains.pdf [Accessed on 06/12/2016].
-  O’shaughnessy, J. & N. O’shaughnessy. Journal of Macro Marketing, 20 (1) (2000) 56-64.
-  Porter, M. (2001). In Barnes, D. Ed. Understanding Business: Process. London: Routledge.
-  Reuters. 2017. White house plans directive targeting conflicts minerals. Available at: http://www.reuters.com [Accessed on 27/02/2017].
-  Struwing, F.W. & Stead, G.B. (2001). Planning, Designing and Reporting Research. Cape Town: Pearson.
-  Sivaramakrishnan, A. The IMRE Journal, 5 (1) (2011) 13-41.
-  Travis, D. 2000: Emotional Branding. California: Prima Publishing.
-  The Intercept. 2017. Leaked Trump Presidential Memo. Available at: https://theintercept.com/2017/02/08/leaked-memo-trump-conflict-minerals/ [Accessed 27/02/2017].
-  Tsai, W., & Ghoshal, S. Academy of Management Journal, 41(4) (1998) 464-476.
-  USA Today. (2017). Trump signs legislation to scrap Dodd-Frank Act. Available at: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/02/14/trump-scraps-dodd-frank-rule-resource-extraction-disclosure/97912600/ [Accessed on 27/02/2017].
-  Vatahov, I. Mass Media Matters, 2, (1) (2006).
-  Villena, V. H., Revilla, E. and Choi, T. Y. Journal of Operations management, 29(1), (2011) 561-576.
-  Welman, J. C., Kruger, S. J. & Mitchell, B. (2006). Research Methodology. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.
Publication order reference