Effect of barium chloride on growth and oxidative stress of saltwater algae
Languages of publication
Algae have the ability to detoxify the environment by binding heavy metals. They are also used as natural biosensors. In this study, the effect of barium chloride on saltwater algae was examined. Direct influence on the development of the test organism was visualized by means of infrared spectroscopy. The direct effect of barium chloride describes the amount of polyphenols and chlorophyll content in the culture. Work indicates the toxicity scale of a relatively small amount of toxic factor. The results were compared with the effects for a non-barium chloride culture.
- Laboratory of Marine Organisms Reproduction, Faculty of Food Sciences and Fisheries, West Pomeranian University of Technology, ul. Kazimierza Królewicza 4, 70-001, Szczecin, Poland
- Center of Bioimmobilisation and Innovative Packaging Materials, Faculty of Food Sciences and Fisheries, West Pomeranian University of Technology, ul. Klemensa Janickiego 35, 71-270, Szczecin, Poland
-  F. Hoff, T. W. Snell, Plankton Culture Manual - Sixth Edition, 6th edition. Dade City, Fla: Florida Aqua Farms Inc. (2007).
-  M. Y. Lee, B. S. Min, C. S. Chang, E. Jin, Isolation and characterization of a xanthophyll aberrant mutant of the green alga Nannochloropsis oculata, Marine Biotechnology, 8(3), 238-245, (2006)
-  E. Drozłowska, Zastosowanie alg w oczyszczaniu środowiska. Aura, (2), 10-11, (2018)
-  P. della Porta. Performance characteristics of barium getters with particular reference to their application in thermionic valves. Vacuum Volume 4, Issue 3, July 1954, Pages 284-302
-  W. P. Inskeep, P. R. Bloom, Extinction coefficients of chlorophyll a and b in N, N-dimethylformamide and 80% acetone, Plant physiology, 77(2), 483-485, (1985)
-  Ł. Łopusiewicz, Scleroderma citrinum melanin: isolation, purification, spectroscopic studies with characterization of antioxidant, antibacterial and light barrier properties, World Scientific News, 94(2), 115-130, (2018)
-  K. Marisamy, R. Sevugaperumal, V. Ramasubramanian, Changes in growth, biochemical and enzymatic characteristics of Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub under metal stress due to barium, International Journal of Biological & Pharmaceutical Research, 6(12), 935-938, (2015)
-  K. Goiris, K. Muylaert, I. Fraeye, I. Foubert, J. De Brabanter, L. De Cooman, Antioxidant potential of microalgae in relation to their phenolic and carotenoid content, Journal of applied phycology, 24(6), 1477-1486, (2012)
-  M. Paszkiewicz, A. Budzyńska, B. Różalska, B. Sadowska, The immunomodulatory role of plant polyphenols, Postepy Hig Med Dosw 66, 637-646, (2012)
-  M. Niedermeier, N. Gierlinger, U. Lütz-Meindl, Biomineralization of strontium and barium contributes to detoxification in the freshwater alga Micrasterias, Journal of plant physiology, (2018)
-  C. Jebsen, A. Norici, H. Wagner, M. Palmucci, M. Giordano, C. Wilhelm, FTIR spectra of algal species can be used as physiological fingerprints to assess their actual growth potential, Physiologia plantarum, 146(4), 427-438, (2012)
-  L. D'Souza, P. Devi, M. P. Divya Shridhar, M. P., Naik, Use of Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy to study cadmium-induced changes in Padina tetrastromatica (Hauck), Analytical Chemistry Insights, 3, (2008)
-  D. A. Ribeiro, V. Carlin, A. C. C. Fracalossi, L. M. Oyama, Radiopacifiers do not induce gendetic damage in murine fibroblasts: an in vitro study, Int. Endod. J. 42(11): 987-991 (2009)
-  J. M. Neff, Bioaccumulation in marine organisms: effect of contaminants from oil well produced water. Elsevier, (2002).
Publication order reference