MISCIBILITY AND INTERACTIONS IN CHITOSAN AND POLYACRYLAMIDE MIXTURES
Languages of publication
In the present work, the results of Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) and atomic force microscopy (AFM) studies of films of chitosan acetate (ChA), polyacrylamide (PAM), and their mixtures are presented. The morphology of the ChA and PAM films and their mixtures was studied by tappingmode atomic force microscopy (AFM). The topography images were considered by determining the root mean square (RMS) deviation in the image data. The study of mixtures by AFM showed a completely different morphology when compared with pure components. The roughness of mixtures increases with the increase of ChA content but is significantly reduced after UV exposure. This may indicate a strong interaction between the polymeric components. The FTIR spectroscopy also supports the obtained results. The miscibility of polymer mixtures is related to interactions between the functional groups of the polymeric components.
- 1. Rinaudo M; (2008) Review, Main properties and current applications of some polysaccharides as biomaterials.Polym Int 57, 397-430, DOI: 10.1002/pi.2378.
- 2. Sionkowska A; (2011) Current research on the blends of natural and synthetic polymers: review. Prog Polym Sci 36, 1254-1276, DOI: 10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2011.05.003.
- 3. Lewandowska K; (2012) Surface studies of microcrystalline chitosan/poly(vinyl alcohol) mixtures. App Surf Sci 263,115-123, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2012.09.011.
- 4. Xiao Ch, Lu Y, Jing Z, Zhang L; (2002) Study on physical properties of blend films from gelatine and polyacrylamide solutions. J Appl Polym Sci 83, 949-955, DOI: 10.1002/app.2274.
- 5. Lewandowska K., (2012) Progress on Chemistry and Application of Chitin and Its Derivatives, Monograph, Vol. XVII, Polish Chitin Society, In: Jaworska M. (ed), Lodz, pp. 53-58.
- 6. Li R, Xiong Ch, Dong L; (2011) Preparation of the high dielectric performance flexible materials achieved by polyacrylamide/poly(vinylidene fluoride) blends. e-Polymers 11, 892-897, DOI: 10.1515/ epoly.2011.11.1.892.
- 7. Zhang Z, Peng J, Huang L, Zhai M, Li J, Wei G; (2006) Studies on radiation degradation of chitosan in aqueous solutions. Acta Polym Sin 7, 841-847.
- 8. Sionkowska A, Skopinska-Wisniewska J, Planecka A, Kozlowska J; (2010) The influence of UV irradiation on the properties of chitosan films containing keratin. Polym Deg Stab 95, 2486-2491, DOI: 10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2010.08.002.
Publication order reference