EVALUATION ACTIVITIES OF CHITOSAN ASCORBATE AGAINST RODS OF HELICOBACTER PYLORI ISOLATED FROM GINGIVAL POCKETS AND ATHEROSCLEROTIC PLAQUES
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was determine activity of chitosan ascorbate against 17 strains of Helicobacter pylori. The strains were isolated from gingival pockets (7 strains), atherosclerotic plaques from carotid and femoral (10 strains). Chitosan was obtained from krill chitin and deacetylation degree was equal 60%. The ratio of ascorbic to chitosan was equal 1. The susceptibility of rods was determined by means of plate dilution technique in Brucella agar with 5% sheep’s blood. The inoculum contained 105 CFU/spot. Incubation was performed in anaerobic jars with Campy Pak (BBL) for 48 hrs. The MIC was interpreted as the lowest concentration of chitosan ascorbate inhibiting the growth of bacteria. The results indicated, that chitosan ascorbate at the lowest concentrations was active against 35% of the strains. The Helicobacter pylori rods isolated from gingival pockets were the highest susceptible than isolated from atherosclerotic plaques.
-  Kignel S, de Almeida Pina F, Andre EA, Alves Meyer MP, Birman EG; (2005) Occurrence of Helicobacter pylori in dental plaque and saliva of dyspeptic patients. Oral Diseases 11, 17-21. DOI: 10.1111/j.1601-0825.2004.01043.x
-  Buck GE; (1990) Campylobacter pylori and gastroduodenal disease. Clin Microbiol Rev 3 (1), 1-12. DOI: 10.1128/CMR.3.1.1
-  Nakamura H, Yoshiyama H, Takeuchi H, Mizote T, Okita K, Nakazawa T; (1998) Urease plays an important role in the chemotactic motility of Helicobacter pylori in a viscous environment. Infect Immun 66, 10, 4832-4837.
-  Bauerfeind P, Garner R, Dunn BE, Mobley HL; (1997) Synthesis and activity of Helicobacter pylori urease and catalase at low pH. Gut 40, 25-30. DOI:10.1136/gut.40.1.25
-  Dunn BE, Cohen H, Blaser MJ; (1997) Helicobacter pylori. Clin Microbiol Rev 10 (40), 720-741.
-  Patel P, Mendall MA, Carrington D, Strachan DP, Leatham E, Molineaux N, Levy J, Blakeston C, Seymour CA, Camm AJ, Northfield TC; (1995) Association of Helicobacter pylori and Chlamydia pneumonia infections with coronary heart disease and cardiovascular risk factor. Brit Med J 311, 711-714.
-  Ameriso SF, Fridman EA, Leiguarda RC, Sevlever GE; (2001) Detection of Helicobacter pylori from human carotid atherosclerotic plaques. Stroke 32, 385-391. DOI: 10.1161/01.STR.32.2.385
-  Kuvin JT, Kimmelstiel CD; (1999) Infections caused of atherosclerosis. Am Heart J 137, 216-226.
-  Kowalski M, Rees W, Konturek PC, Grove R, Scheffold T, Meixner H, Brunec M, Franz N, Konturek JW, Pieniążek P, Hohn EG, Konturek SJ, Thale J, Warnecke H; (2002) Detection of Helicobacter pylori specific DNA in human arheromatous coronary arteries and its associated to prior myocardial infarction and unstable angina. Dig Liv Dis 34 (6), 398-402.
-  Myr M, Kiechl S, Willeit J, Wick G, Xu Q; (2000) Infections, immunity and atherosclerosis. Associations of antibodies to Chlamydia pneumonia, Helicobacter pylori and Cytomegalovirus with immune reactions to heart shock protein 60 and carotid or femoral atherosclerosis. Circulation 102, 833-839. DOI: 10.1161/01.CIR.102.8.833
-  Umeda M, Kobayashi H, Takeuchi Y, Hayashi J, Mortome-Hayashi Y, Yano K, Aoki A, Ohkusa T, Ishikawa I; (2003) High prevalence of Helicobacter pylori detected by PCR in the oral cavities of periodontitis patients. J Periodontol 74 (1), 129-134. DOI:10.1902/jop.2003.74.1.129
-  Desai HG, Gill HH, Shankaran K, Mehta PR, Prabhu SR; (1991) Dental plaque: a permanent reservoir of Helicobacter pylori? Scand J Gastroenterol 26, 1205-1208. DOI:10.3109/00365529108998615
-  Nguyen AMH, El-Zaatari FAK, Grahan DY; (1995) Helicobacter pylori in the oral cavity: A critical review of the literature. Oral Surg, Oral Med, Oral Pathol, Oral Radiol & Endod. 79 (6), 705-709. DOI:10.1016/S1079-2104(05)80304-X
-  Słotwińska S, Pierzynowska E, Słotwiński R; (2001) The occurence of Helicobacter pylori in the environment of the oral cavity. Stomatol Współczesna 5, 18-21.
-  Olsson K, Wadstrom T, Tyszkiewicz T; (1993) Helicobacter pylori in dental plaques. Lancet 341, 956-957.
-  Ferguson D, Li C, Patel NR, Mayberry WR, Chi DS, Thomas E; (1993) Isolation of Helicobacter pylori from saliva. J Clin Microbiol 31 (10), 2802-2804.
-  Kochańska B, Kędzia A, Wierzbowska M, Wojtasz-Pajak A; (2004) Activities of chitosan ascorbate against strains of Helicobacter pylori isolated from pathological gingival pockets. In: Struszczyk H (ed), Progress on Chemistry and application of chitin and its derivatives. Monograph, PTChit, Łódź, 27-30.
Publication order reference