Role of garlic (Allium sativum) as feed supplements in poultry industries: An overview
Languages of publication
Garlic (Allium sativum) is considered as wonder drug of the medicinal world due to its multifunctional beneficial aspect. Garlic constitutes at least 33 sulphur containing compounds, several enzymes, amino acids, and minerals. Over the past few years, garlic has been utilized as potential feed supplement in order to improve the growth performances and other biochemical properties of broiler chicken. The supplementation of garlic in basal diet has significantly increased the body weight gain and feed conversion ratio of broilers. Previous studies have suggested the pivotal role of garlic as an alternative to antibiotic growth promoter in poultry industries. This review overviews the studies investigated in the recent years for improving the growth performances and other important parameters of poultry.
-  Khusro, A., Aarti, C., Preetamraj, J.P., Kingsley S.J. (2013 a). Evaluation of antibacterial activity of spices and vegetables against Bacillus methylotrophicus strain Kharuss 0103. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science Invention 2: 37-42.
-  Khusro, A., Aarti, C., Preetamraj, J.P., Panicker, S.G. (2013 b). In vitro studies on antibacterial activity of aqueous extracts of spices and vegetables against Bacillus licheniformis strain 018 and Bacillus tequilensis strain ARMATI. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences 2: 79-88.
-  Esther Lydia, D., Gupta, C., Khusro, A., Salem, A.Z.M. (2019). Susceptibility of poultry associated bacterial pathogens to Momordica charantia fruits and evaluation of in vitro biological properties. Microbial Pathogenesis 132: 222-229.
-  Vase-Khavari, K., Mortezavi, S.H., Rasouli, B., Khusro, A., Salem, A.Z.M., Seidavi, A. (2019). The effect of three tropical medicinal plants and superzist probiotic on growth performance, carcass characteristics, blood constitutes, immune response, and gut microflora of broiler. Tropical Animal Health and Production 51: 33-42.
-  Khusro, A., Aarti, C., Preetamraj, J.P., Panicker, S.G. (2013 c). Antibacterial activity of different solvent extracts of garlic against new strains of pathogenic bacteria: An in vitro study. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology 4: 316-321.
-  Khusro, A., Preetam Raj, J.P., Panicker, S.G. (2014 a). Study on Antagonistic activity of a novel bacterial isolate under mild stress condition of certain antimicrobial agents. European Journal of Experimental Biology 4: 26-30.
-  Khusro, A., Aarti, C., Agastian, P. (2016). Anti-tubercular peptides: A quest of future therapeutic weapon to combat tuberculosis. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine 9: 1023-1034.
-  Khusro, A., Aarti, C. (2017). TB-PACTS: A fresh emphatic data sharing approach. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease 7: 97-98.
-  Khusro, A., Aarti, C., Barbabosa-Pliego, A., Salem, A.Z.M. (2018 a). Neoteric advancement in TB drugs and an overview on the anti-tubercular role of peptides through computational approaches. Microbial Pathogenesis 114: 80-89.
-  Khusro, A., Aarti, C., Barbabosa-Pliego, A., Rivas-Cáceres, R.R., Cipriano-Salazar, M. (2018 b). Venom as therapeutic weapon to combat dreadful diseases of 21st century: A systematic review on cancer, TB, and HIV/AIDS. Microbial Pathogenesis 125: 96-107.
-  Khusro, A., Preetam Raj, J.P., Panicker, S.G. (2014 b). Adaptational changes in cellular morphology of Bacillus subtilis strain KPA in response to certain antimicrobials. International Journal of Chemtech Research 6: 2815-2823.
-  Khusro, A., and Sankari, D. (2015). Synthesis and estimation of total protein in Bacillus subtilis strain KPA under mild stress condition of certain antimicrobials. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 8: 86-90.
-  Nosrati, M., Javandel, F., Camacho, L.M., Khusro, A., Cipriano, M., Seidavi, A., Salem, A.Z.M. (2017). The effects of antibiotic, probiotic, organic acid, vitamin C, and Echinacea purpurea extract on performance, carcass characteristics, blood chemistry, microbiota, and immunity of broiler chickens. Journal of Applied Poultry Research; 26: 295-306.
-  Elghandour, M.M.Y., Salem, A.Z.M., Khusro, A., Cipriano-Salazar, M., Olivares-Pérez, J., Barros-Rodriguez, M.A., Coyot, R. (2017). Assessment of some browse tree leaves on gas production and sustainable mitigation of CH4 and CO2 emissions in dairy calves at different age. Journal of Cleaner Production 162: 1192-1199.
-  El-Adawy, M.M., Salem, A.Z.M., Khodeir, M.H., Khusro, A., Elghandour, M.M.Y., Hernández, S.R., Al-Shamandy, O.A.A. (2018). Influence of four tropical medicinal and aromatic plants on growth performance, digestibility, and blood constituents of rabbits. Agroforestry System 1-11. doi.org/10.1007/s10457-018-0322-7
-  Pagrut, N., Ganguly, S., Tekam, S., Bhainsare, P. (2018). Effect of supplementation of garlic extract on the productive performance of broiler chicks. Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies 6: 247-248.
-  Umatiya, R.V., Srivastava, A.K., Pawar, M.M., Chauhan, H.D., Jain, A.K. (2018). Efficacy of ginger (Zingiber officinale) and garlic (Allium sativum) powder as phytogenic feed additives in diet of broiler chickens. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 7: 1136-1140.
-  Kumar, R., Maan, N.S., Baloda, S., Promila, Sihag, S. (2019). Effect of garlic and holy basil leaf powder supplementation on chemical composition and cholesterol content of breast and thigh muscles of broiler chicks. The Pharma Innovation Journal 8: 78-81.
-  Puvača, N., Pelić, D.L., Čabarkapa, I., Popović, S., Tomičić, Z., Nikolova, N., et al. (2019). Quality of broiler chickens carcass fed dietary addition of garlic, black pepper and hot red pepper. Journal of Agronomy, Technology and Engineering Management 2: 218-227.
-  Raeesi, M., Hoseini-Aliabad, S.A., Roofchaee, A., Shahneh, A.Z., Pirali, S. (2010). Effect of periodically use of garlic (Allium sativum) powder on performance and carcass characteristics in broiler chickens. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 44: 1223-1229.
-  Bharambe, V.Y., Shinde, S.S., Garde, Y.D. (2017). Effect of dietary supplementation of garlic (Allium sativum) and black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) powder on growth performance of broilers in Konkan region of India. Indian Journal of Hill Farming 30: 144-147.
-  Eltazi, S.M.A., Mohamed, K.A., Mukhtar, M.A. (2014). Effect of using garlic powder as natural feed additive on performance and carcass quality of broiler chicks. Assiut Veterinary Medical Journal 60: 45-53.
-  Makwana, R.B., Bhagwat, S.R., Parikh, S.S., Savaliya, B.D., Jadav, C.N. (2019). Effects of dietary supplementation of garlic (Allium sativum) powder on growth performance and carcass characteristics of broilers. The Indian journal of Veterinary Science & Biotechnology 15: 67-70.
-  Zeryehun, T., Asrat, M., Amha, N., Urge, M. (2017). Effects of supplementation of different levels of garlic (Allium sativum) on selected blood profile and immunity of white leghorn chicken. Biotechnology in Animal Husbandry 33: 333-348.
-  Afaq, S., Rao, P.V.R., Tariq, H., Mondal, B.C. (2016). Effect of garlic and chromium picolinate supplementation on production performance, carcass characteristics and immunological parameters of guinea fowls. Journal of Animal Research 6: 99-104.
-  El-Gogary, M.R., El-Khateeb, A.Y., Megahed, A.M. (2019). Effect of physiological and chemical nano garlic supplementation on broiler chickens. Plant Archives 19: 695-705.
-  Solomon, K.A., Oluwasola, B.T., Johnson, K.O. Effect of garlic supplementation in the diets of cockerel chicks on performance and economy of production. Asian Journal of Agricultural Extension, Economics and Sociology 35: 1-7.
-  Lamichhane U, Regmi S, Sah R. (2018). Changes in palatability of poultry feed using garlic, ginger and their combination. Acta Scientific Agriculture 2: 68-72.
-  Issa, K.J., Omar, J.M.A. (2012). Effect of garlic powder on performance and lipid profile of broilers. Open Journal of Animal Sciences 2: 62-68.
-  Khaidem, A., Zuyie, R., Haque, N., Vidyarthi, V.K. (2019). Effect of garlic supplementation on performance, carcass traits and blood profile of broiler chicken. International Journal of Bio-resource and Stress Management 10: 292-297.
-  Lukanov, H., Genchev, A., Ribarski, S. (2015). Effect of feed supplementation with garlic power on meat productivity and meat quality traits of classic Ross 308 male hybrid chickens. Trakia Journal of Sciences 1: 66-76.
-  Al Massad, M., Al Ramamneh, D., Al Sharafat, Hussain, A.N. (2018). Effect of using garlic on the economical and physiological characteristics of broiler chickens. International Journal of Environmental Sciences & Natural Resources 10: 54-58.
-  Makwana, R.B., Parikh, S.S., Savaliya, B.D., Chauhan, H.D., Patil, S.S., Patbandha, T.K. (2018). Growth performance and carcass charactristics of broilers fed garlic (Allium sativum) supplemented diets. International Journal of Pure and Applied Bioscience 6: 927-932.
-  Makwana, R.B., Raval, A.P., Chauhan, H.D., Kulkarni, R.C., Srivastava, A.K., Bhagwat, S.R. (2015). Effects of garlic (Allium sativum) supplementation on growth performance, carcass characteristics and economics of broilers. Journal of Animal Research 5: 843-848.
-  Eltazi, S.M.A. (2014). Response of broiler chicks to diets containing different mixture levels of garlic and ginger powder as natural feed additives. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research Allied Sciences 3: 27-35.
-  Taufik, M., Maruddin, F. (2019). The effect of garlic solution supplementation on performance, carcass weight and abdominal fat of broiler chickens. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 247: 012039.
-  Karangiya, V.K., Savsani, H.H., Patil, S.S., Garg, D.D., Murthy, K.S., Ribadiya, N.K., et al., (2016). Effect of dietary supplementation of garlic, ginger and their combination on feed intake, growth performance and economics in commercial broilers. Veterinary World 9: 245-250.
Publication order reference