THE INFLUENCE OF THE ADDITION OF COLLAGEN ON THE RHEOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF CHITOSAN CHLORIDE SOLUTIONS
Languages of publication
Colloidal solutions of chitosan of crab origin with the addition of collagen obtained from cowhide were studied. Were presents the influence of collagen concentration and the method of preparing the sample on the obtained mechanical properties of the solutions and the observed phase transition temperature. Rheological measurements were performed to determine the viscoelastic properties and phase transition temperatures of these solutions. The study was conducted in the temperature range of 5–60°C with the use of classical techniques of rotational rheometry in the cone-plate measurement system. A significant influence of a collagen addition to chitosan chloride solutions on the viscoelastic properties of the systems was observed. The addition of collagen in all the cases increased the sol–gel phase transition temperature in comparison with the chitosan chloride solution containing β-glycerophosphate.
176 - 189
- Wawro D, Stęplewski W, Brzoza-Malczewska K, Święszkowski W; (2012) Collagen-Modified Chitosan Fibres Intended for Scaffolds. Fibrese & Textiles in Eastern Europe 20, 6B (96): 32–39.
- Hirano S, Zhang M, Nakagawa M, Miyata T; (2000) Wet spun chitosan–collagen fibers, their chemical N-modifications, and blood compatibility. Biomaterials 21(10), 997–1003.
- Chen Z G, Mo X M, He C L and Wang H S; (2008) Intermolecular interactions in electrospun collagen-chitosan complex nanofibers. Carbohydrate Polymers 72, 410–418.
- Chen Z G, Wang P W, Wei B, Mo X M, Cui F Z; (2010) Electrospun collagen–chitosan nanofiber: A biomimetic extracellular matrix for endothelial cell and smooth muscle cell. Acta Biomaterialia 6, 372–382
- Zhu Y, Liu T, Song K, Jiang B, Ma X, Cui Z; (2009) Collagen–chitosan polymer as a scaffold for the proliferation of human adipose tissue-derived stem cells. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 20, 799–808. DOI: 10.1007/s10856-008-3636-6.
- Li X, Feng Q, Jiao Y, Cui F; (2005) Collagen-based scaffolds reinforced by chitosan fibres for bone tissue engineering. Polym Int 54:1034–1040, DOI: 10.1002/pi.1804.
- Shanmugasundaram N, Ravichandran P, Neelakanta Reddy P, Ramamurty N, Pal S, Panduranga Rao K; (2001) Collagen-chitosan polymeric scafolds for the in vitro culture of human epidermoid carcinoma cells. Biomaterials 22,1943-1951.
- Kim S E, Cho Y W, Kang E J,Kwon J C, Lee E B, Kim J H, Chung H, Jeong S J; (2001) Three-Dimensional Porous Collagen/Chitosan Complex Sponge for Tissue Engineering. Fibers and Polymers, Vol.2, No.2, 64–70.
- Raftery R M, Woods B, Marques A L P, Moreira-Silva J, Silva T H, Cryan S A, Reis R L, O’Brien F J; (2016) Multifunctional biomaterials from the sea: Assessing the effects of chitosan incorporation into collagen scaffolds on mechanical and biological functionality. Acta Biomaterialia 43, 160–169.
- Sarkar S D, Farrugia B L, Dargaville T R, Dhara S; (2013) Chitosan–collagen scaffolds with nano/microfibrous architecture for skin tissue engineering. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 101, 3482–3492.
- Deepthi S, Sundaram M N, Kadavan J D, Jayakumar R; (2016) Layered chitosan-collagen hydrogel/aligned PLLA nanofiber construct for flexortendon regeneration, Carbohydrate Polymers 153, 492–500.
- Tangsadthakun C, Kanokpanont S, Sanchavanakit N, Banaprasert T, Damrongsakkul S; (2006) Properties of Collagen/Chitosan Scaffolds for Skin Tissue Engineering. Journal of Metals, Materials and Minerals. 16(1), 37–44.
- Kim IY, Seo SJ, Moon HS, Yoo MK, Park IY, Kim BC; (2008) Chitosan and its derivatives for tissue engineering applications. Biotechnology Advances 26, 1–21.
- Dash M, Chiellini F, Ottenbrite R M, Chiellini E; (2011) Chitosan—A versatile semi-synthetic polymer in biomedical applications. Progress in Polymer Science 36, 981–1014. DOI: 10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2011.02.001.
- Chenite A, Buschmann M, Wang D, Chaput C, Kandani N; (2001) Rheological characterisation of thermogelling chitosan/glycerol-phosphate solutions. Carbohydrate Polymers 46, 39–47.
- Wu J, Sua Z G, Ma G H; (2006) A thermo- and pH-sensitive hydrogel composed of quaternized chitosan/glycerophosphate. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 315, 1–11. DOI:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2006.01.045
- Goycoolea F M, Argüelles-Monal W M, Lizardi J , Peniche C , Heras A , Galed G, Díaz E I; (2007) Temperature and pH-sensitive chitosan hydrogels: DSC, rheological and swelling evidence of a volume phase transition. Polymer Bulletin 58, 225–234. DOI: 10.1007/s00289-006-0590-7.
- Wang L, Stegemann J P; (2010) Thermogelling chitosan and collagen composite hydrogels initiated with β-glycerophosphate for bone tissue engineering. Biomaterials 31, 3976–3985. DOI:10.1016/j.biomaterials.2010.01.131
- Moreira C D F, Carvalho S M, Mansur H S, Pereira M M; (2016) Thermogelling chitosan–collagen–bioactive glass nanoparticle hybrids as potential injectable systems for tissue engineering. Materials Science and Engineering C 58, 1207–1216. DOI: 10.1016/j.msec.2015.09.075
- Lutolf M P, Hubbell J A; (2005) Synthetic biomaterials as instructive extracellular microenvironments for morphogenesis in tissue engineering. Nature Biotechnology 23, 47–55. DOI: 10.1038/nbt1055
- Kumar B S, Aigal S, Ramesh D V; (2012) Air-Dried 3D-collagen–chitosan biocomposite scaffold for tissue engineering application. Polymer Composites 33, 2029–2035. DOI: 10.1002/pc.22345
- Horna M M, Martins V C A, Guzzi Plepis A M; (2015) Influence of collagen addition on the thermal and morphological properties of chitosan/xanthan hydrogels. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 80, 225–230.
- Elango J, Zhang J, Bao B, Palaniyandi K, Wang S, Wu W, Robinson J S; (2016) Rheological, biocompatibility and osteogenesis assessment of fish collagen scaffold for bone tissue engineering. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 91, 51–59.
- Salomé Machado A A, Martins V C A, Plepis A M G; (2002) Thermal and rheological behavior of collagen. Chitosan blends. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 67, 491–498.
- Kasapis S, Mitchell J, Abeysekera R, MacNaughtan W; (2004) Rubber-to-glass transitions in high sugar/biopolimer mixtures. Trends in Food Science & Technology 15, 298–304. DOI:10.1016/j.tifs.2003.09.021.
- Ferry J D; (1980) Viscoelastic properties of polymers. J. Willey, New York
- Dziubiński M, Kiljański T, Sęk J; (2009) Podstawy reologii i reometrii płynów, Politechnika Łódzka, Łódź
- Ferguson J, Kembłowski Z; (1995) Reologia stosowana płynów, Marcus SC, Łódź.
- Orczykowska M; (2015), Ocena właściwości lepkosprężystych żeli skrobiowych za pomocą ułamkowych modeli reologicznych, Rozprawa habilitacyjna, Politechnika Łódzka, Łódź
- Tung C H-Y M, Dynes P J; (1982) Journal of Applied Polymer Science 27, 569.
Publication order reference