IN VIVO STIMULATION OF PERITONEAL CELLS BY CHITOSAN ADMINISTERED IN DRINKING WATER TO MICE
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was to determine immunostimulant properties of chitosan administered alimentary to BALB/c mice. We observed that chitosan feeding effected in activation of cells from the peritoneal cavity. The cells produced less nitric oxide with simultaneous enhanced activity of arginase and higher expression of receptor for IL-4. What is more, chitosan caused increased number of cells expressing MHC class II. The study confirms that chitosan can stimulate immune system what potentially makes it useful candidate for adjuvant.
111 - 116
- Akira S; (2011) Innate immunity and adjuvants. Philos Trans R Soc Lond Biol Sci 366(1579), 2748-2755.
- Pashine A, Valiante NM, Ulmer JB; (2005) Targeting the innate immune response with improved vaccine adjuvants. Nat. Med. 11(4 Suppl.), 63-68.
- Hui GS, Hashimoto CN; (2008) Adjuvant formulations possess differing efficacy in the potentiation of antibody and cell mediated responses to a human malaria vaccine under selective immune genes knockout environment. Int Immunopharmacol. 8(7), 1012-1022.
- Zaharoff DA, Rogers CJ, Hance KW, Schlom J, Greiner JW; (2007) Chitosan solution enhances both humoral and cell-mediated immune responses to subcutaneous vaccination. Vaccine 25(11), 2085-2094.
- Porporatto C, Bianco ID, Correa SG; (2005) Local and systemic activity of the polysaccharide chitosan at lymphoid tissues after oral administration. J Leukoc Biol. 78(1), 62-69.
- Gross SS, Jaffe EA, Levi R, Kilbourn RG; (1991) Cytokine-activated endothelial cells express an isotype of nitric oxide synthase which is tetrahydrobiopterin-dependent, calmodulin-independent and inhibited by arginine analogs with a rank-order of potency characteristic of activated macrophages. Biochem Biphys Res Commun 178(3):823-9.
- Porporatto C, Bianco ID, Riera CM, Correa SG; (2003) Chitosan induces different L-arginine metabolic pathways in resting and inflammatory macrophages. Biochem Biphys Res Commun. 30492):266-72.
- Gordon S, Martinez FO; (2010) Alternative activation of macrophages: mechanism and functions. Immunity 32(5), 593-604.
- Villiers C, Chevallet M, Diemer H, Couderc R, Freitas H, van Dorsselaer A, Marche PN, Rabilloud T; (2009) From secretome analysis to immunology: chitosan induces major alterations in the activation of dendritic cells via a TLR4-dependent mechanism. Mol Cell Proteomics 8(6), 1252-1264.
Publication order reference