Analysis of Rainfall Trend in Sokoto State, Nigeria (1987-2016)
Languages of publication
Rainfall is an important climatic parameter. The study examined the nature of trend in annual rainfall amount and rainfall attributes such as onset, cessation dates and hydrological growing season. This study was carried out to determine if there was any significant change in rainfall in the study area. Walter’s 1967 formula was used to determine the onset, cessation and hydrological growing season. The results obtained were then subjected to a time-series analysis. The findings showed that annual rainfall in Sokoto from 1987 to 2016 is on the increase, Onset dates showed early onset of recent. The rains stopped late thereby increasing the hydrological growing season. The latest onset date occurred on 4th July in the years 1995 and 2016 and the earliest onset date on 12th April in the year 2015. The earliest cessation date was recorded on 22nd August in the year 1987 and the latest on 18th October in the years 2009 and 2010. The Hydrological growing season was longest (162 days) in 2015, this was seen to be a result of the onset dates of rainfall occurring earlier and cessation dates later. Despite the upward trend rainfall is variable and unreliable and insufficient to meet the water needs of the plants, and this has a great implication resulting in cases of seasonal drought occurrences and reduced agricultural yield. The government policies as related to agriculture and water resources development should be based on recent rainfall parameters.
-  Acheampong, P. K. (1987). Rainfall characteristics over the West African Sahel: The Nigerian example. Singapore Journal of Tropical Agriculture, 8(2): 72-83.
-  Adefolalu, D. O. (1986). Rainfall trends in Nigeria. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 37, 205-219.
-  D. Ramanee Peiris, James W. McNicol. Modelling daily weather with multivariate time series. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology Volume 79, Issue 4, May 1996, Pages 219-231
-  Ayoade, J. O. (1973). Annual Rainfall Trends and Periodicities in Nigeria. Nigerian Geographical Journal Vol 16, pp. 167-172
-  Dennet, M. D., Elston, J. and Rogers, J. A. (1985). A reappraisal of Rainfall Trends in the Sahel. Journal of Climatology 5, 353-361.
-  Eludoyin. (2009). Monthly Variation in the 1985-1994 and 1995-2004 rainfall distribution over five selected synoptic stations in western Nigeria. Journal of Meterology and Climate Science 7: 11-22.
-  Hasanean, H. M. (2001). Fluctuations of surface air temperature in the east Mediterranean. Theoret Appl Climatol 68 (1-2):75-87.
-  Hess, T. M., Stephens, W. and Maryah, U. M. (1995). Rainfall trends in the North East arid zone of Nigeria 1961-1990. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 7:4(1-2), 87-97.
-  Hoegh-Guldberg, O., Mumby, P. J., Hooten, A. J., Steneck, R. S., Greenfield, P., Gomez, E., Harvell, C. D., Sale, P. F., Edwards, A. J., Caldiera, K., Knowlton, N., Eakin, C. M., Iglesias Prieto, R., Muthiga, N., Bradbury, R. H., Dubi, A. and Hatziolos, M. E. (2007). Coral reefs under rapid climate change and ocean acidification. Science 318, 1737-1742.
-  Ilesanmi, O. O. (1972). An empirical formulation of the Onset, Advance and Retreat of Rainfall in Nigeria. Journal Tropical Geography 34, 17-24.
-  Intergovernmental Panel on climate change (IPCC) 2007. Projected effects of climate change from the fourth IPCC assessment. Population and Development Review, 33(2), 417-420.
-  Kamara, S. I. (1986). The Origins and Types of Rainfall in West Africa. Weather Volume 41, Issue 2, Pages 48-56
-  Kidson, J. W. (1977). African rainfall and its relation to the upper air circulation. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 103, 441-456
-  Kowal, J. M. and Adeoye, K. B. (1973). An assessment of aridity and the severity of the 1973 drought in northern Nigeria and neighboring countries. Savanna, 2(2): 145-158.
-  Nicholson, S. E., Some, B., Kone, B. (2000). An analysis of recent rainfall conditions in West Africa, including the rainy seasons of the 1997 El Nino and the 1998 La Nina years. Journal of Climate, 13: 2628-2640.
-  Obot, N. I., Chendo, M. A. C., Udo, S. O., and Ewona, I. O. (2010). Evaluation of rainfall Trends in Nigeria for 30 years (1978-2007). Int. J. Physical Sci. 5(14), 2217-2222.
-  Ogallo, L. (1979). Rainfall Variability in Africa. Monthly Weather Review Vol. 107, pp 1133-1139.
-  Oladipo, E. O. (1987). Some features of growing season precipitation fluctuations in the interior plains of North America. Journal of Climatology, Vol 7, 531-540.
-  Oladipo, E. O. (1993). A Comprehensive Approach to Drought and Desertification in Northern Nigeria. Natural Hazards volume 8, pages 235–261
-  Olaniran, O. J. (1991). Changing patterns of rainy-days in Nigeria. Geography Journal 22 (1): 99-107.
-  Semazzi, F. H. M., V. Mehta, and Y. C. Sud, (1988). An investigationof the relationship between sub-Saharan rainfall and global seasurface temperatures. Atmos.–Ocean, 26, 118–138
-  Thornthwaite, C. W. (1948). An Approach Toward a Rational Classification of Climate. Geographical Review, 38: 55-94.
-  Walter, M. W. (1967). The length of the rainy season in Nigeria. Nigerian Geographic Journal 10: 123-128.
-  C. N. Emeribe, E. T. Ogbomida and J. O. Enoma-Calus, Climatic Variability and Estimation of Supplementary Irrigation Water Needs of Selected Food Crops in the Sokoto-Rima River Basin, Nigeria, Nigerian Journal of Environmental Sciences and Technology, 10.36263/nijest.2019.01.0111, 3, 1, (86-104), (2019).
-  Marlon Maranan, Andreas H. Fink, Peter Knippertz, Sabastine D. Francis, Aristide B. Akpo, Gbenga Jegede and Charles Yorke, Interactions between Convection and a Moist Vortex Associated with an Extreme Rainfall Event over Southern West Africa, Monthly Weather Review, 10.1175/MWR-D-18-0396.1, 147, 7, (2309-2328), (2019).
-  Marlon Maranan, Andreas H. Fink and Peter Knippertz, Rainfall types over southern West Africa: Objective identification, climatology and synoptic environment, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 144, 714, (1628-1648), (2018).
-  Kwadwo Owusu, Rainfall changes in the savannah zone of northern Ghana 1961–2010, Weather, 73, 2, (46-50), (2017).
-  Luka Fitto Buba, Nura Umar Kura and John Bathrobas Dakagan, Spatiotemporal trend analysis of changing rainfall characteristics in Guinea Savanna of Nigeria, Modeling Earth Systems and Environment, 10.1007/s40808-017-0356-2, 3, 3, (1081-1090), (2017).
-  Blessing Bolarinwa Fabeku and Emmanuel C. Okogbue, Trends in Vegetation Response to Drought in Sudano-Sahelian Part of Northern Nigeria, Atmospheric and Climate Sciences, 10.4236/acs.2014.44052, 04, 04, (569-588), (2014).
-  Temidayo O. Omonijo and Emmanuel C. Okogbue, Trend Analysis of Drought in the Guinea and Sudano-Sahelian Climatic Zones of Northern Nigeria (1907-2006), Atmospheric and Climate Sciences, 10.4236/acs.2014.44045, 04, 04, (483-507), (2014).
-  Heiko Paeth, Andreas H. Fink, Susan Pohle, Felix Keis, Hermann Mächel and Cyrus Samimi, Meteorological characteristics and potential causes of the 2007 flood in sub‐Saharan Africa, International Journal of Climatology, 31, 13, (1908-1926), (2010).
-  A. H. Fink, Atmosphere, Impacts of Global Change on the Hydrological Cycle in West and Northwest Africa, 10.1007/978-3-642-12957-5_5, (132-163), (2010).
-  Mohsin Hafeez, Marc Andreini, Jens Liebe, Jan Friesen, Andreas Marx and Nick Van De Giesen, Hydrological parameterization through remote sensing in Volta Basin, West Africa, International Journal of River Basin Management, 10.1080/15715124.2007.9635305, 5, 1, (49-56), (2007).
-  Jon M. Schrage, Andreas H. Fink, Volker Ermert and Epiphane D. Ahlonsou, Three MCS Cases Occurring in Different Synoptic Environments in the Sub-Sahelian Wet Zone during the 2002 West African Monsoon, Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 10.1175/JAS3757.1, 63, 9, (2369-2382), (2006).
-  A. H. Fink, D. G. Vincent and V. Ermert, Rainfall Types in the West African Sudanian Zone during the Summer Monsoon 2002, Monthly Weather Review, 10.1175/MWR3182.1, 134, 8, (2143-2164), (2006).
-  Helge Bormann and Bernd Diekkrüger, Possibilities and limitations of regional hydrological models applied within an environmental change study in Benin (West Africa), Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C, 10.1016/j.pce.2003.09.008, 28, 33-36, (1323-1332), (2003).
-  Peter Knippertz, Mat J. Evans, Paul R. Field, Andreas H. Fink, Catherine Liousse and John H. Marsham, The possible role of local air pollution in climate change in West Africa, Nature Climate Change, 10.1038/nclimate2727, 5, 9, (815-822), (2015).
-  A. W. Butu and C. N. Emeribe, Spatial patterns of climatic variability and water budget over Sudan Savannah Region of Nigeria, African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 10.5897/AJEST2019.2726, 13, 21, (465-481), (2019).
Publication order reference